User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 45
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    malaysia
    Posts
    1,763
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Line judging at TC/UC

    Nobody mentioned this but am I the only one to think that the line judging was at the highest level during the TC?UC? There was none of the controversies we saw at China and Korean Open. What a relief.
    BTW did they use soley INA line judges or were there others?

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    KL & Sg
    Posts
    5,315
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    International judges were used especially in matches involving Indonesia. These judges are volunteers who paid their own airfare but the other costs (accomodation etc) were covered.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    MALAYSIA
    Posts
    10,375
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hcyong View Post
    International judges were used especially in matches involving Indonesia. These judges are volunteers who paid their own airfare but the other costs (accomodation etc) were covered.
    Oh....they are international judges......i tot they are locals......i was wonder the line judge standard were so high............its proven good to used international line judge........but they have to pay their own air fare...?

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Cat City
    Posts
    2,902
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I have no time to chat with them, but I did saw quite a number of international line judges....and the standard, well, I give 2 thumbs up...

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    S.E.A
    Posts
    115
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The line judges did a very good job in the TC/UC. was really happy with it. it pisses me off to see biased line judges. Are they gonna start using the same technology like the one in tennis?By doing so, some countries (namely Korea) would not have the chance to cheat.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indonesia
    Posts
    5,893
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hcyong View Post
    International judges were used especially in matches involving Indonesia. These judges are volunteers who paid their own airfare but the other costs (accomodation etc) were covered.
    BWF should do this 'international volunteer' system in Korea especially in matches involving Koreans...

  7. #7
    Regular Member Loh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore Also Can
    Posts
    11,741
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default A Line Judging Incident during UC final

    I think it was the UC final between China and Indonesia. The line judge watching the base line on the umpire's side was unable to see clearly, probably blocked by the player's legs, and indicated as such by closing his eyes with his two palms.

    The lady umpire, I understand to be from Hong Kong, called "in". This infuriated the Indonesian coach, I think it was Richard Maniaky (?), who ran up to the umpire in protest. Luckily his Indonesian colleague prevented him from further protests, otherwise he would be shown the yellow card and not allowed in the coaching area.

    The lady umpire must have been very alert and since the shuttle landed on her side of the court and not on the far side, she could see the situation clearly and was bold enough to make a decision very quickly.

    BWF Law 17.6.6

    Where an appointed offical is unsighted (like this line judge in question), carry out that official's duties or play a "let". (In this case the lady umpire must have clearly seen that the shuttle has landed 'in'.)

    BWF Law 17.5

    ... if in the opinion of the umpire, it is beyond reasonable doubt that a line judge has clearly made a wrong call, the umpire shall overrule the decision of the line judge.

    BWF Law 17.2

    The umpire shall be in charge of the match, the court and its immediate surrounds. (So if team offcials, like coach Richard M, make unnecessary protests which could disrupt and interfere with the smooth running of the match, they could be cautioned and sent out.)

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    3,321
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Krisna View Post
    BWF should do this 'international volunteer' system in Korea especially in matches involving Koreans...
    International line judges will be used for matches involving home players. Hence in CHN, for CHN matches, in KOR ,for KOR matches,in Spore for Spore matches, etc.

  9. #9
    Regular Member huangkwokhau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    everywhere
    Posts
    18,436
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loh View Post
    I think it was the UC final between China and Indonesia. The line judge watching the base line on the umpire's side was unable to see clearly, probably blocked by the player's legs, and indicated as such by closing his eyes with his two palms.

    The lady umpire, I understand to be from Hong Kong, called "in". This infuriated the Indonesian coach, I think it was Richard Maniaky (?), who ran up to the umpire in protest. Luckily his Indonesian colleague prevented him from further protests, otherwise he would be shown the yellow card and not allowed in the coaching area.

    The lady umpire must have been very alert and since the shuttle landed on her side of the court and not on the far side, she could see the situation clearly and was bold enough to make a decision very quickly.

    BWF Law 17.6.6

    Where an appointed offical is unsighted (like this line judge in question), carry out that official's duties or play a "let". (In this case the lady umpire must have clearly seen that the shuttle has landed 'in'.)

    BWF Law 17.5

    ... if in the opinion of the umpire, it is beyond reasonable doubt that a line judge has clearly made a wrong call, the umpire shall overrule the decision of the line judge.

    BWF Law 17.2

    The umpire shall be in charge of the match, the court and its immediate surrounds. (So if team offcials, like coach Richard M, make unnecessary protests which could disrupt and interfere with the smooth running of the match, they could be cautioned and sent out.)
    Her name is Wong Sui Yin

  10. #10
    Regular Member huangkwokhau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    everywhere
    Posts
    18,436
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Hope that BWF will use this high standard for Olympics 2008......

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    malaysia
    Posts
    3,893
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    This is the best improvement made by IBF!

    So good...

    Fair & square

    I love it! Make sure Beijing 2008 also the same!

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    malaysia
    Posts
    1,763
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yeah, i wanna be int'nl line judge for Beijing OG!!! How to apply?? any qualifications needed? i wonder.

    Seriously, I think this is a far improvement and MUST be used for Beijing OG.

  13. #13
    Regular Member AlanY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,438
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pjswift View Post
    International line judges will be used for matches involving home players. Hence in CHN, for CHN matches, in KOR ,for KOR matches,in Spore for Spore matches, etc.
    it's not quite as as simple as that, isn't it? as an example in the recent TC, INA already in the SF awaiting to meet the winner of DEN/KOR. let's say that the INA coach states that he rather play against DEN than KOR in the semi. that obviously can create opportunities for the line judges to cheat (to make a few humun errors in favour of DEN, the Korean/Chinese style).
    ideally we can and should put our trust into the line judges to be impartial.

    isn't it a shame that only badminton has that kind of problem!
    Last edited by AlanY; 05-21-2008 at 08:17 AM.

  14. #14
    Regular Member huangkwokhau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    everywhere
    Posts
    18,436
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlanY View Post
    it's not quite as as simple as that, isn't it? as an example in the recent TC, INA already in the SF awaiting to meet the winner of DEN/KOR. let's say that the INA coach states that he rather play against DEN than KOR in the semi. that obviously can create opportunities for the line judges to cheat (to make a few humun errors in favour of DEN, the Korean/Chinese style).
    ideally we can and should put our trust into the line judges to be impartial.

    isn't it a shame that only badminton has that kind of problem!
    Pls elaborate..I do not understand what you are trying to point out........

    The fact that KOR def DEN and INA line judges did a good job...if not there would be dispute so KOR Open and China Open should do same thing......

  15. #15
    Regular Member AlanY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,438
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by huangkwokhau View Post
    Pls elaborate..I do not understand what you are trying to point out........

    The fact that KOR def DEN and INA line judges did a good job...if not there would be dispute so KOR Open and China Open should do same thing......
    when i tried to say is just putting impartial line judges to matches involving home team is not enough, as suggested by

    Originally Posted by pjswift
    International line judges will be used for matches involving home players. Hence in CHN, for CHN matches, in KOR ,for KOR matches,in Spore for Spore matches, etc.


    got it?

  16. #16
    Regular Member AlanY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,438
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by huangkwokhau View Post
    Pls elaborate..I do not understand what you are trying to point out........

    The fact that KOR def DEN and INA line judges did a good job...if not there would be dispute so KOR Open and China Open should do same thing......
    that was only an example that what suggested by pjswift may not be sufficient. lets have another example, OG in 3 months time, LD already in the final, LCW/TH in another semi. LD states that he rather play TH than LCW in the final. LCW will be against TH and TH's new found friends (10 chinese line judges). again, only as an example.

  17. #17
    Regular Member huangkwokhau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    everywhere
    Posts
    18,436
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlanY View Post
    that was only an example that what suggested by pjswift may not be sufficient. lets have another example, OG in 3 months time, LD already in the final, LCW/TH in another semi. LD states that he rather play TH than LCW in the final. LCW will be against TH and TH's new found friends (10 chinese line judges). again, only as an example.
    Thats only " IF"..........line judges should do their job honestly...if they do/cheat that...LCW will not keep quiet as Olympic is the highest stake ever....
    Just for your information, BWF is under IOC's eyes and BWF will make sure the incidents like KO will not be repeated and I have been told that from semifinal onward , the umpires who are off duty will be delegated as line judges as well.......lets see if BWF can keep clean and let the best be the winner.......

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Line Judging at the Asian Games
    By Sealman in forum Asian Games 2010 - Badminton
    Replies: 8
    : 11-21-2010, 02:17 AM
  2. Poor line judging
    By aquaboi in forum Singapore Open / Malaysia Open / Chinese Taipei Open 2006
    Replies: 16
    : 06-16-2006, 01:17 PM
  3. Line Judging at the Olympics
    By Winex West Can in forum General Forum
    Replies: 5
    : 10-17-2004, 11:24 AM
  4. line judging : the dilemma.
    By kwun in forum General Forum
    Replies: 2
    : 10-12-2002, 05:42 AM
  5. Poor Line judging at the All England
    By Cheung in forum General Forum
    Replies: 14
    : 03-18-2001, 11:18 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •