Line judging at TC/UC

Discussion in 'Thomas Cup / Uber Cup 2008' started by markchan, May 21, 2008.

1. markchan

markchan Regular Member

Nobody mentioned this but am I the only one to think that the line judging was at the highest level during the TC?UC? There was none of the controversies we saw at China and Korean Open. What a relief.
    BTW did they use soley INA line judges or were there others?

2. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    International judges were used especially in matches involving Indonesia. These judges are volunteers who paid their own airfare but the other costs (accomodation etc) were covered.

3. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Oh....they are international judges......i tot they are locals......i was wonder the line judge standard were so high............its proven good to used international line judge........but they have to pay their own air fare...? :eek:

4. Louisa

Louisa Regular Member

I have no time to chat with them, but I did saw quite a number of international line judges....and the standard, well, I give 2 thumbs up...

5. Khawai

Khawai Regular Member

The line judges did a very good job in the TC/UC. was really happy with it. it pisses me off to see biased line judges. Are they gonna start using the same technology like the one in tennis?By doing so, some countries (namely Korea) would not have the chance to cheat.

6. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    BWF should do this 'international volunteer' system in Korea especially in matches involving Koreans... :p

7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    A Line Judging Incident during UC final

I think it was the UC final between China and Indonesia. The line judge watching the base line on the umpire's side was unable to see clearly, probably blocked by the player's legs, and indicated as such by closing his eyes with his two palms.

The lady umpire, I understand to be from Hong Kong, called "in". This infuriated the Indonesian coach, I think it was Richard Maniaky (?), who ran up to the umpire in protest. Luckily his Indonesian colleague prevented him from further protests, otherwise he would be shown the yellow card and not allowed in the coaching area.

The lady umpire must have been very alert and since the shuttle landed on her side of the court and not on the far side, she could see the situation clearly and was bold enough to make a decision very quickly.

BWF Law 17.6.6

Where an appointed offical is unsighted (like this line judge in question), carry out that official's duties or play a "let". (In this case the lady umpire must have clearly seen that the shuttle has landed 'in'.)

BWF Law 17.5

... if in the opinion of the umpire, it is beyond reasonable doubt that a line judge has clearly made a wrong call, the umpire shall overrule the decision of the line judge.

BWF Law 17.2

The umpire shall be in charge of the match, the court and its immediate surrounds. (So if team offcials, like coach Richard M, make unnecessary protests which could disrupt and interfere with the smooth running of the match, they could be cautioned and sent out.)

8. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

International line judges will be used for matches involving home players. Hence in CHN, for CHN matches, in KOR ,for KOR matches,in Spore for Spore matches, etc.

9. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Her name is Wong Sui Yin

10. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    Hope that BWF will use this high standard for Olympics 2008......

11. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    This is the best improvement made by IBF!

So good...

Fair & square

I love it! Make sure Beijing 2008 also the same!

12. markchan

markchan Regular Member

Yeah, i wanna be int'nl line judge for Beijing OG!!! How to apply?? any qualifications needed? i wonder.

Seriously, I think this is a far improvement and MUST be used for Beijing OG.

13. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

it's not quite as as simple as that, isn't it? as an example in the recent TC, INA already in the SF awaiting to meet the winner of DEN/KOR. let's say that the INA coach states that he rather play against DEN than KOR in the semi. that obviously can create opportunities for the line judges to cheat (to make a few humun errors in favour of DEN, the Korean/Chinese style).
    ideally we can and should put our trust into the line judges to be impartial.

isn't it a shame that only badminton has that kind of problem!

#13 AlanY, May 21, 2008
    Last edited: May 21, 2008
  14. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    Pls elaborate..I do not understand what you are trying to point out........

The fact that KOR def DEN and INA line judges did a good job...if not there would be dispute so KOR Open and China Open should do same thing......

15. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

when i tried to say is just putting impartial line judges to matches involving home team is not enough, as suggested by

Originally Posted by pjswift [​IMG]
    International line judges will be used for matches involving home players. Hence in CHN, for CHN matches, in KOR ,for KOR matches,in Spore for Spore matches, etc.

got it?

16. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

that was only an example that what suggested by pjswift may not be sufficient. lets have another example, OG in 3 months time, LD already in the final, LCW/TH in another semi. LD states that he rather play TH than LCW in the final. LCW will be against TH and TH's new found friends (10 chinese line judges). again, only as an example.

17. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    Thats only " IF"..........line judges should do their job honestly...if they do/cheat that...LCW will not keep quiet as Olympic is the highest stake ever....
    Just for your information, BWF is under IOC's eyes and BWF will make sure the incidents like KO will not be repeated and I have been told that from semifinal onward , the umpires who are off duty will be delegated as line judges as well.......lets see if BWF can keep clean and let the best be the winner.......

18. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

sometimes when the shuttlecock is so broderline that even the player himself cannot be certain and the line judge can give it either way. another example is if the disputed call is on your opponent's baseline it's really difficult to make an appeal to the ref.

why cant we have a video replay and a second judge just like cricket (for those not familar with that wonderful sport, just think of a more civilise form of baseball). the facility is already there, the ref can ask for a review if it was a close call and let the second judge make a decision based on the video evidents.

19. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    Using a video replay is absolutely a GOOD way...BWF will not use Hawk Eye as it costs US$ 50K per court...
    I jus hope that they start using it in Singapore or INA SS before applying them on Olympics..........

20. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    All the line judges used at the tournament are certified international umpires.

They have done a very good job. Not unnecessary controversies. And in the decision that the umpire had to make (INA vs CHN Uber Cup), it was correct.