Black Knight - Help!

Discussion in 'Market Place' started by risika_ash, May 21, 2008.

1. risika_ash

risika_ash New Member

I have a problem on my hands...long story short: My brother and his friend borrowed a badminton racket from a classmate and ended up breaking it. We offered to pay the girl for the replacement but it seems as if she is getting greedy - she's asking for $100 for the one racket, and although I've seen rackets for more money, the broken one doesn't seem to be worth that much.

The branding on the racket says it's a Black Knight. One side of the shaft says "BK-707 One Piece Graphite Composite" and the other says "Wizard". The string is the purple "Yonex BG 65" (so I guess it's been replaced in the past).

I have tried to find a "BK-707" using Google, and have had no luck so far. Help? :crying:

2. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

http://www.blackknight.ca/en/products.php?id=212

Go to this site.
    It is a discontinued racquet.
    That doesn't mean that it and the stringing isn't worth $100.
    You could call a local sports store and see if they carry it or something similar (check out the rest of the BK site for similar)

3. risika_ash

risika_ash New Member

Hey Fidget! Thanks for the quick response!

I saw that in one of my previous searches, but the broken doesn't match that one in appearance AT ALL so I thought it wasn't the right one. (I'm not sure if that means anything?)

For example: The colours of the entire racket are dark purple, red, and yellow. "Black Knight" (on the handle) is one line, rather than two. The writing on the handle looks much different - more plain on the broken one. The tiny logo where the handle ends at the racket has "BK" on it rather than the knight's logo.

EDIT #1: Oh, and the total length is 64cm as opposed to the 67cm listed on the website.

EDIT #2: And it's not the strings that are broken...the racket itself snapped near the strings.

#3 risika_ash, May 21, 2008
    Last edited: May 21, 2008
  4. GunBlade008

GunBlade008 Regular Member

Student, Retail.
    I've played with this racquet before, it can't be worth more than 70-80$ CDN brand new during the time it was still in production.

5. risika_ash

risika_ash New Member

Any idea when you bought it? (i.e. When it was in production?)

6. dex

dex Regular Member

Student
    Regardless of the replacement value the girl was asking, I think it's a matter of attitude when you all were trying to settle. It's a good learning experience that once you've decided to borrow something from someone, you're responsible for any damage or lost!

7. GunBlade008

Student, Retail.
    I played with it roughly.....3.5 years ago? In any case, I agree with Dex, you should pay her the amount because if you take into account the stringing+grips+whatever else, it probably does add up to $100 value to her. I would just give her the asking price. (namely your brother and his friend!)

8. risika_ash

risika_ash New Member

Yes, I agree that once you borrow something, it is up to the borrower to take care of the item and replace it if necessary. In terms of the actual settlement - I haven't spoken to the girl directly, and when my brother asked her for more details on the purchase, all she would say is that she wants the $100 soon or else she'll send her older brother after him and his friend.

So, as things stand now, I am going to go see her in person and try to talk to her brother - after her threat, I am not going to pay unless I'm satisfied with her response, and if she continues to make threats, I will not hesitate to file a complaint.

Anyway, thanks to all of you for your responses!

9. GunBlade008

Student, Retail.
    Very good way to go about it. How old are these kids anyways? Reverting to threats is quite juvenile and often get the threatener into trouble anyways :p

10. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    thats a complicated situation like yes you shoudl pay her and you already have that understanding for sure thats not the problem its just the price of the racquet. like does she have any recipets from when she bought it showing how much she paid back when she purchesed it? thats the hard part cause i know that some people will try to get more than its worth not saying that all are bad about it just to be cautious. ask her if she has any documentation of purchase or anything liek that. with regards to the threats like thats not right at all who would threaten somebody up to pay that raises questions all on its own as well as how old they are.

11. chhayalak

chhayalak Regular Member

Poor University Student
    It's an interesting situation, and especially with the girl threatening to send muscle after you guys :D.

I personally would pay it and never borrow a racquet from her again. I would only borrow equipment from actual and trusting friends to avoid situations like this.

I think I should stop lending my equipment to strangers now. There have been situations where strangers ask to borrow my racquets (usually noobs). The one time the guy was complaining that the racquet he borrowed was too head light... What nerve!