Q: How to play at net properly in doubles?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by newbi, May 21, 2008.

1. newbi

newbi Regular Member

website designer for now
    Hi everyone, this is my first time asking for techique tips here, so hope you all pros can help me out in improving net play in doubles :)

I am pretty much a backcourt player, when I am at the back, I can pretty much find a way to play shots that are best to my team's advantage.

However, I can't play at net for beans. I usually embarrased myself when I make mistakes during net plays. I am just looking for general tips on how to get better, but specific tips are also welcome!

I am around height 5"6' , when I play net, I usually stands at the center "T" spots of the court. The only thing I can do fine is:

1) if opponent is at net and I am at net, if he drops, I can either drop back (straight or angled) or lift the shot back

2) if opponent plays a bad shot, and the shot is close to the net I can smash it down.

Things I suck at/ really would like to improved on:

1) When opponent hits in semi hard and low at me and I am too closed to the net... I can't react fast enough to hit anything w/ power (right back at my opponent), I can only drop and opponent can usually get it.

2) When I am in the "T" spot, and opponent hit it low (but smashable) to my sides, once again I can't react fast enough and go to the edge and hit it back at my opponent with power.

3) Sometimes the bird leap over me right in between me and my partner, I always ending up confusing my partner, and making a fool out of myself.

What can I do to train my net play.. seems like I am lacking the reaction timing or I can't guess where the opponent is going to hit to when saving a smash from my partner. Am I being not explosive enough?? I am pretty athletic in badminton (I run quite fast and can save birds as long as I can react to it).

Once again, ANY advice would help. Please, and thank you in advance!