Canadian moving to the UK

Discussion in 'UK' started by mojojojo, May 21, 2008.

1. mojojojo

mojojojo Regular Member

Hello there,

I am moving somewhere in the UK for an oversea teaching program. I have a choice of many different locations all over England which include:

* Essex & East Anglia
    * Herts Beds & Bucks
    * Kent & Sussex
    * London
    * Midlands
    * Scotland
    * South
    * Surrey

Does anyone have any recommendations of where I should teach? Where is badminton most popular?

2. sudirman

sudirman Regular Member

SURREY of course, guildford!

3. johnson211

johnson211 Regular Member

Yes I agree Surrey is the place to play, where in Guildford do you play sudirman???

4. rajmussen

rajmussen Regular Member

Student
    Too bad lancashire isn't on your list! It's one of the top counties and it's very popular. Does anyone know Steve Higgins who plays for Surrey?

5. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

bear in mind that the cost of living in guildford is almost on par with London, i.e. particularly accommodation. badminton in guildford is as good as anywhere i supposed.

6. mojojojo

mojojojo Regular Member

I talked with a friend who lives in England, and she says Essex is a great place to live.

Anyone know if ther'es any badminton in Essex? I'm not an amazing player by any standard, but I'm no slouch either haha.

7. mojojojo

mojojojo Regular Member

Surrey is among my top choices as well.

I want to play badminton in ENgland just as a means to meet people since I'm going to be moving alone to a new place for a year!

Should be a good experience.

8. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Really as long as you are not like national level, you should be able to find badminton anywhere in the UK on your list. In the UK there are not some areas who play badminton and others that do not, it is pretty much universally played throughout the country.

Good luck, and if you are ever in or around Leeds let me know!

9. rajmussen

rajmussen Regular Member

Student
    I agree JamesD. You can only really be worried about the standard of play if you're top level. Also suggest you find accommodation near a sports centre that has a regular club!

I might be moving to Leeds JamesD so I'm going hold on to your name and buzz you if I'm around!

10. sudirman

sudirman Regular Member

Hi Johnson211, I play in uni of surrey, what about you?

11. mojojojo

mojojojo Regular Member

living near a sports centre is a great idea. I lift weights on a daily basis as well so it'd be fantastic!

12. CometRich

CometRich Regular Member

Retailer
    I think you will be able to get some decent games anywhert listed, in my experience Middlesex/Herts have had the strongest players and the best clubs. I currently play in Hertfordshire which along with having some of the best facilities has one of the strongest county teams.

I suppose in my considerations is also the travelling for league matches, some league are quite spread out others much closer. Me personally I am happy to drive a reasonable way to play decent oposition.

I also agree if you find somewhere with good facilities you can usually find players of a good standard. National Badminton centre, Hertfordshire sports village, Wycombe badminton centre etc.

13. mojojojo

mojojojo Regular Member

how do league matches work?

We don't do that in Canada. We have open tournaments and such but that's it.

14. rajmussen

rajmussen Regular Member

Student
    Have a look at:

http://www.badmintonengland.co.uk/fl/leagues/default.asp

Badminton England has 41 County Associations to which leagues and clubs affiliate to become part of the Association.

My understanding is that there are numerous counties. These numerous counties have some local leagues that play in that geographical area. Local leagues have various clubs that play in that league. E.g. I play for a club called CF Badminton Club. CF plays in the Liverpool and District Badminton League. This league is associated to Lancashire County. Then there are town teams as well which compete with other town teams (I'm sure town teams include city teams, it's just a generic label they use).

Hope that helps.

15. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Typically these district badminton assiciations as Rajmussen illustrated operate a league system, and each club who is a member of the association can enter teams.

I am sure the format of the leagues vary, but in my particular league they have

-Womens, Mixed and Men doubles divisions (No singles:mad:)

-Each team entered has 6 players (three pairs) and they play the opposing teams 3 pairs, making a match made up of 9 Rubbers, so the match can be won or lost 9-0, 8-1, 7-2, 6-3 or 5-4, hence there can be no draw

-The scoring works by way of each rubber won gains a point, and a team victory scores a bonus 2 points, so in a match that ends 6-3 the losing team gets three points an the winning team 8 points.

-Typically a division consists of 8 teams, whom you play home and away, making 14 matches within a season, obviously the one with most points win the division and gets promoted up or relegated down accordingly.

-Most leagues I believe play with rally point scoring now, but some still use the old scoring system

-I am sure other leagues will have other formats (I would be interested to hear them if people can explain their system)

Hope this helps!

16. rajmussen

rajmussen Regular Member

Student
    Jamesd20, our league operates the exact same system. No singles here either, grr!

17. CometRich

CometRich Regular Member

Retailer
    Our leagues work in much the same way, our club currently enters 3 different leagues this is largely due to the size of our club.

Firstly there is the county area league which is made up of the strongest clubs in the county (and a few on the borders of the county). The league is comprised mainly of county players.

Then we enter to area leagues, one for South West Hertfordshire and also Hertford Area league.

What is interesting is county teams gain points by way of winning rubbers, but no bonus points for winning. The area leagues work by way of awarding 3 points only for winning ala football. All leagues in the hertfordshire area use rally points.

Overall we enter 4 mens teams in Herts County League, 3 Mixed and 1 Ladies. In South West Herts we enter 1 Mens team, 2 mixed teams and 1 ladies team. In the Hertford area we enter 2 mixed teams. That is probably our maximum amount of teams we can enter unless we have an additional match night.

We dont have a singles league but we do have a singles ladder, similar to squash I believe, where you challenge people online and arrange a court.

From playing league for a number of years (about 13 years) I can not underestimate the advantage (to gaining skills) or enjoyment I gain from playing league matches. For me that is what I play badminton for.

18. mojojojo

mojojojo Regular Member

Wow this seems like a lot of fun nothing beats some good competition. Hopefully I will be able to play with you guys! haha

19. p1man96

p1man96 New Member

Police Officer
    Surrey

Surrey has always been a great hotspot for badminton!!!

20. Retro_10s

Retro_10s Regular Member

Come and play for the Frankley bats (www.frankleybats.co.uk) in the West midlands. Grrrrrreat club :D

me and 'fran96' play there.