correct footwork for forehand overhead?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by vanessa, May 21, 2008.

1. vanessa

vanessa Regular Member

i'm confused... what is a chasse, shuffle, crossover? please help me differentiate... what is the correct footwork for forehand overhead? is it 2 or 3 steps? some use left foot back, then right foot back, then hit.. some use right foot back, left crossover right, right foot back, then hit.. what is correct? which one is more comfortable for you and prevents injuries?

and about hitting, does your arm really need to be shoulder level? because after a few hits w/ my arm up, it feels tired and i start to hit low.. is it ok to lower your arm a bit? not neccesarily shoulder level?

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Footwork terminology

See my explanation of the movement elements in badminton.

A cross-over is just a technical badminton term for an ordinary step: the feet cross each other.

A chasse is a different kind of footwork, where the feet do not cross but chase each other instead.

Shuffle is a vague term. It may refer to a hitch, but I'm not sure.

Footwork patterns

The forehand rear corner is a little more complicated than the others, because there are three main footwork patterns. Each has its advantages, and players should (eventually) familiarise themselves with all three patterns, so they can choose the best one for the situation.

See my explanation of moving to the forehand rear corner.

From a central base position, you should be able to reach any corner in two movements (for example: two steps; or a step and a jump). Using three movements takes longer.

Contact point for overhead shots

Your contact point should be at full relaxed reach. If you allow the shuttle to drop, your shots will become much less effective. You should certainly be hitting the shuttle from much higher than shoulder level!

3. vanessa

vanessa Regular Member

i see... thanks gollum!

can i ask something about hitting high? does your arm get tired after playing for a while? because you have to always raise your racket... how to avoid making your arm tired?

is it ok if my arm is low before hitting the shuttlecock, but when i hit, i hit high? or my arm has to be high already before hitting the shuttlecock?

4. vanessa

vanessa Regular Member

oh yeah, what is a clear, drive and kill?

is clear somewhat like a smash?

5. rajmussen

rajmussen Regular Member

Student
    All 3 strokes are quite different. A basic clear is when you hit the shuttle high to the opponents rear court (usually from your rear court). There are also attacking clears from which the trajectory of the shuttle is slightly different.

A smash is when you hit the shuttle hard at a downward direction. When a shuttle is approaching your court from a height, a smash would be a fast downward hit, with the shuttle passing the net quite closely and at a steep angle. A kill is usually a stroke which wins you that point. The shuttle is hit from mid/front court, fast and hard to the opponents court at a steep angle. I suppose the result is similar to smash but the movement is more in the wrist. A smashing arm swings more with follow through and recovery, a kill is done from very near the net so little chance of it coming back.

A drive is kind of in the middle of a clear and smash. It is again a fast hit with the shuttle travelling flat from your side to the opponents court instead of at an angle.

6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Your arm will get tired at first, but you'll become stronger with time. You can also do some strength training if you like.

Well, somewhere in the middle. You want to get ready with an "archer drawing back a bowstring" posture.