HELP! Weird Computer Problem!

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by kingkiller48, May 22, 2008.

1. kingkiller48

kingkiller48 Regular Member

Student
    Hey guys and girls,

I just wanna know, like I don't know what happened, but I've got a Windows XP. When I was using it, the desktop goes blank except for the background picture. And then, it turns on again- popping up normally. And then it turns off again! Did this for 1 hour, and then just stopped popping on! What in the name??

Any help, guys? Apparently it's the explorer.exe?

Hehehe thanks guys! Much appreciated.

2. OldBadFan

OldBadFan Regular Member

Contractor
    Your Highness, KingKiller48,

This is could probably be your monitor or Display problem.

Software wise, try rebooting into safe mode. Provided if you can do that, lower your display resolution and refresh rate and then reboot again. If your system comes on fine, your monitor is probably in good condition. Go to display settings again and reset appropriately to your hardware specs. and see what happens.

If your display fails at this point or your system won't even boot in safe mode, it's definitely hardware problem. For DIY remedy:

1. Turn off your computer and check dsiplay cable for loose connection.
    2. Assuming that you are proficient in computer hardware, remove the cassing cover, remove the Display card and reinsert it firmly.

Hopefully by rectifying the above intermittent connections (so to speak) will solve your problem otherwise, reach for your wallet and send your computer to repair shop.

Good luck!

3. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    if it's the explorer.exe problem, then hit ctrl-alt-delete. go to the applications tab. click "new task..." and then type in explorer.exe this should solve the problem if it's the explorer crashing. when you mean popping on and off, is it the computer shutting down then starting back up? or just the windows screen and taskbars appearing and disappearing?

i don't know if it's a display error. usually you won't get bits to the desktop missing. and i honestly don't think you need to get into the computer itself. you might just end up frying the insides.

4. kingkiller48

kingkiller48 Regular Member

Student
    Hi guys, thanks for the concern!

Well, the only problem with it is just that the 'Start' button, taskbar and desktop just goes blank. So if you look at your screen, the only thing that appears is your background, and that's it... It's quite scary.

I think it's the explorer.exe that is stuffed, but i don't know how to fix this. I've tried what you guys have told me, but it still does what it does... Any chance you know? Tyvm!

5. OldBadFan

OldBadFan Regular Member

Contractor
    Now you've been more spcific. Iniatially I thought your screen was totally blanked.To help you solve your problem in my own words could be misleading. However, you can search Google for these:

1. My Taskbar is missing (for restoring your Taskbar and Start button)
    2. How to restore my Desktop

There are 1000 of websites for your solution (ask-leo.com is an example).
    Hopefully, you'll be back with good news.

6. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    maybe you've got a virus or some corrupt data? you can try geekstogo.com it's a great forum with lots of people that are experts on computers.