Need help on racquet choice (NEW)

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by sedwick, May 22, 2008.

1. sedwick

sedwick New Member

After playing a tounament in gym class my partner and I are really interested in taking up badminton. The only problem now is that we are really confused on which racquets to buy. Being only 16 we want something fairly cheap, about 60 or 70 US dollars at most, but less than that would certainly be nice to. '

We are beginners, but have decent skill

I am more of a finess player while he is more into power

We want racquets that will last for the money put into them, but that will also be good and work well

In addition, I could use feedback about the isometric shape, I do not know if this is strongly recommended, because my feeling is that getting better with the traditinal shape will help more in the long run

So, thank you the help. I really look forward to playing badminton and want a racquet that will benifit the experience. Please suggest specific models so we can look into buying them. Thanks.

2. Natrificial

Natrificial Regular Member

Articling Student
    two quickies as people have said in this forum before:

1) Try before you buy: borrow or beg to try a couple different ones. Most rackets in the 50-80 USD range are decently made, but you need to know which one is right for you by actually playing with it.

2) All badminton rackets are fragile, even the top of the line ones. Even the most expensive rackets won't survive accidental (and catastrophic) contact that alot of newer players will experience. In other words, expect your racket will break from a clash with another racket, the floor, or fill in the blank. So don't buy anything that you can't replace.

3. sedwick

sedwick New Member

Thank you, but I am looking for racquet suggestions. Where I'm at badminton is not big at all, and there are no stores around that sell racquets.

4. BennyC

BennyC Regular Member

N/A
    Isometric heads have a larger sweetspot while the traditional ovals have a smaller one. ISO heads are also a little more forgiving on shots.

In determining what would be suitable for you and your friend, take a look at Dinkalots racket review. It contains very helpful info as well as prices. In my opinion, low end muscle power's + carbonex should do the trick along with some black knight ( in particular the Rapier, but not too sure on price).
    I'd have to say that low end muscle powers are quite durable. For you, I'd recommend something not too stiff and not too heavy and for your partner, something a little stiffer and head heavier( since hes a power user). Hope this helps XDD

5. sedwick

sedwick New Member

to bennyc

thanks a lot mate, you were very helpful and didn't just blow me off since im now. props to you man, thanks again.

6. hkbsah

hkbsah Regular Member

Search the forum for APACS then go to www.apacscanada.com
    Quick info: APACS are copy of Yonex but for a half price. This should fit highschoolers pocket very well.

7. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    MAybe u can try the lower end sotx rackets as well.

8. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Sedwick,

Where are you located? we might be able to help you find a store to demo racquet.