APACS review

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by IBaddersI, May 23, 2008.

1. IBaddersI

IBaddersI Regular Member

School
    APACS Review

Hey everyone. I was thinking of getting a few new apacs rackets so I decided to have a look at the review that where currently available on this forum. The APACS fans club thread is very hard to navigate as it has so many short posts with questions and only a few answers. I think itwould be beneficial of there where to separate threads, one for reviews/question and another about places to buy/best deals.

Since I live in the UK it wont be so easy for me to purchase apacs rackets so I was wondering what other people in the UK or Europe did. This website apacs-sports claims to be the only dealer in the UK. They only have a very small selection of rackets but the m,ain problem is that the prices are absolutely ridiculously high as they are charging £70 for the Edge-Saber 7. £70 is 445MYR or 136CAD that’s twice as much as the apacs Canada is selling for and allot of times more than the cost in Malaysia. So I will probably have to buy them form ebay or get some of my relative to buy and send them to me :D

If allot of people in the UK wanted the rackets we could maybe order a load to save more money.

Anyways here are the reviews. The reviews in italics are from DinkAlot. Also any chance of adding the apacs rackets to you racket review. Please!

·Armor Muscle Pro

Armor Muscle Pro 88
    The racquet feels a lot lighter than my 2U Ti-10 that I normally play with. It's extremely maneuverable. At first, I had some trouble getting power but after a while, you change your stroke somewhat a rely more on head speed generated by snapping the wrist rather than momentum generated by the weight of the head. My backhand timing is still somewhat off and doing back-court to back-court clears isn't quite as easy as it is with the Ti-10 but I fully expect this to change once I get the timing adjusted accordingly. (charlton)
    I've been using Armor Muscle Pro 88 for about 2 years now and it is by far my favourite racket. I'm only an intermediate player, so please don't place too much weight on my comments, but for me, the racket has great free, great control. I can generate very powerful smashes for someone of my level; defence is great as well, and its like half the price of a yonex racket, and I think the AMP 88 is head light compared to my Yonex Armotec 500.

One thing I don't like about it is that the paint seems to come off really quickly... I don't clash much and yeah, it just seems to crack off pretty quickly, so my racket looks kinda tacky now, but it still works very well. Aside from that, no complaints. (lwiew)

Armor Muscle Pro 90
    Armor Muscle Pro 95
    I like the look and build of the racket...
    Very stiff shaft ... my shot is much more accurate with this..
    String with 30/32.. need to be lower for me with this racket. I don't have enought power for 2 hrs game. Man it's tiring.............. Too old

It really depends on the player. Sure it is not a racket for beginner. Racket is very stable during impact that give u accuracy. ...You can feel that even when u serve.. (HappyTA5)

The AMPs are among the most solid, well-built rackets I have ever tried. They are powerful, stable and stiff. This should be no surprise as they are made of 50T UHMG. They feel pretty much the same except the BP, 290, 295, 305mm respectively. These are my current go to rackets along with the Nano Power 9600 Tour.
    all feel and play about the same. Only difference I noticed is the 88 does not have MP like curved grommets all around like the 90/95 do. Since I modified the grips, they all have similar BPs. The AMPs are very solid, among the most solid rackets I have tried. They are stable, stiff, powerful and just an all-around great racket with the emphasis on attack. In fact, I've switched over and am currently using the AMP as my go to racket.

·Edge Saber

Edge Saber 7
    for me, plays better than the original. A bit too flexy for my tastes but a very good all-around racket with the emphasis on control. Also as powerful or more so than the original.
    A good all-around racket, medium flex. I think I like the Edge Saber better than its original counterpart.

I've tried my sister's edgesaber 7 and her friend's arcsaber 7. Im pretty surprised, they are pretty similar. There is where i got my attention to the apacs racket, the edgesaber 7 is cheaper than the yonex model. (Khawai)
    I tried the racket today. I have to say, i am very impressed with the racket considering it is way cheaper than the real arc saber 7! Smashing is good, Defence is good and control is also good. I use BG 66 with 68 tension. (Zen710)

Well I first got the racket just before christmas and frankly I hated everything about it,.. so put it back in the case and forgot about it. However two weekends ago i gave it a re-string with some blue BG80's I had lying around, and strung it up to 27lbs and boy did it change the racket or what!

My main feeling i just couldn't get over was how 'long' the racket felt,.. My smash suffered a lot from,.. I feel perhaps this is not because the racket is physically longer (though the handle is longer than other rackets) but perhaps the racket is quite whippy?.. certainly feels rather flexible,.. which I don't like in a racket,.. However, I kept pluggin and eventually i started getting more results with it,.. rather good for smashes i found and counter clears were right to the back line and no further with a lovely snappy sound when i hit the shuttle

Obviously some of this is down to my body adjusting and my technique slightly slightly changing,.. but I think this rackets deserves some credit as it seems to have been insulted more than praised here. But in my eyes,.. APACS have produced far better rackets. Like the Nano9000 I love so much,.. such a great racket,. really light,.. takes huge tensions (had mine up to 36lbs for an experiment,.. dont worry, back down to 28 now hehe) and suits my game whole heartedly. (Retro_10s)

EdgeSaber 10
    - well balanced weight
    - good for net-play
    - smashing wise, will depends on ur technique
    - i still get 'BOOM' sound when i smash with this racket... (lelynx)

·Nano Power

Nano Power 900 Red
    Nano Power 900 White

hi... just bought the new apacs nano 900 power(white) 2 days ago n it break during a clash with my friend armortec 800off... btw the apacs armor muscle 700(clone of armortec 700) gd to use a not? (zangetsu_hollow)

Which is better ? Nano Power 900 White Vs Nano Power 900 Red?
    i have both, and they are the same, only paintwork different
    later- red one is box section, whereas the white one is more aero. what i meant is that both rackets have similar weight and playing feel. not much difference. (wocdam)

Apacs Nano 900 Power (white) strung with BG66 at 27lbs. With a overgrip, it weights 93.6g.
    It felt like a slightly head light to even balance racquet. It has very good control. Clears and smashes also good. With extra effort, smashes could be difficult to return. It is not as stiff as Yonex AT900 Technique, but very close. (cards_pro)

Both play about the same. The White is more aerodynamic, faster through the zone while the Red is a bit slower but hits a bit harder. Both are awesome rackets. So awesome that my double's partner has switched over these rackets. I feel both are on par to better than their original counterparts.
    both good. Red is box frame, white aero frame. My double's partner liked these racket so much he "procured" them from me.

Apacs Nano 900 Power is designed for tactical and semi-offensive players. The racket is made to help players produce control and power using Apacs latest technologies, MicroTi and ElasticTi. MicroTi is loaded into the top of the frame to help hold the shuttlecock like a bow holding an arrow. The ElasticTi which is loaded into the frame and the shaft of the racket help to store and release the energy as bow pulls and releases an arrow to its target. (arifazali)

owned a nano 900 power strung with BG80 at 24lbs and from a beginner point of view...can generate powerfull smashess(head heavy)........quite good in defence (it is 4U).....by the way i have never hold an YY armourtec 900 so i don't know the difference or similarities but i think it's head heavyness are like YY MP (maybe 45/55).....oh and i also owned an YY armourtec 300 4U and N900P seems to be more heavier (head)......maybe i'll post a picture next time (Mat Jie)

Been trying on Nano 900 Power. Its a light racket with surprising having a head heavy frame(attacking purpose). It gives people who don't use heavy racket the power to smash hard plus good for control and defending smashes. Continuous drive of the shuttle using the racket is easier and painless as the it is considerably light. Strung at 25 1/2lbs. Retrieving smashes is made easier as the light feel of the racket. Surprising opponent with drop shot is very easy. Trick shots is also very good as the racket is easy to control. With less energy, smashing is as powerful. Tap from net speed is faster than visible 1800 hollow. If don't have lots of strength, using heavy racket will make smashing very hard hence less powerful. Weight after strung is around 86~. Overall, a good racket for smashing and control. (CaSiOKiDD)

·Visible Hollow

Visible Hollow 1600
    Visible Hollow 1700
    Visible Hollow 1800

i've got a VH1800 4U. MediumStiff to Stiff, slightly head heavy. The only thing i really don't like about the racket is that i cannot feel the shuttle at all. seems like Apacs have dampened the racket feel too much. (wocdam)

Spec: 3UG2
    Grip: Original Apacs Grip + Prince Microtac Overgrip
    String: Yonex BG65; 28lbs x 28lbs; 2 knots
    Balance: Head heavy
    Stiffness: Stiff + and really solid feeling
    Power: Hell of a weapon! This is the first Apacs racquets that give my smashes BOOM feeling. It has more power compared to Apacs Nano 900 Power Red. Because of the power more control needed for clears (baseline to baseline shots). However, must hit the small sweet spot accurately if strung at high tension to get the power. I will try it at 24lbs when my string snaps.
    Defense: Need extra wrist work to push the shuttle high to the baseline. Because it is head heavy, the reaction will be slower. I somehow miss a few smashes to the sides in doubles that I usually retrieve with a little bit of stretching.
    Stability: The overall stability of the racquet is good. Only very minor vibration is felt during clears and smashes. I reckon the vibration can be reduced by a soft cushiony grip (well at least for myself). I think the “anti-vibration technology helps a little” haha~
    Finishing: This is one of my favorite racquets in terms of design and finishing. The colour scheme is simple and classy. The only downside is that they should improve on the cap design. It is really a disappointing fact.
    Overall: I played with this racquet for 3 x 3hour sessions playing singles and doubles. Personally, this will be my primary racquet (unless I find another more suitable one) for singles. For my doubles I would need more practice on the net shots and pushes to baseline. Still searching for the feeling for my netshots (always overshot; abit high or far) and pushes need more power (only up till doubles service baseline). I would rate this racquet as 9/10 in terms of playability and considering price as a major factor. (ivans)

i tried oledi
    good control as well
    there special design on the sharf
    fell comfort when u hit the shuttle
    for me is a player of hard hitter
    fell smooth and comfort when doing smashing (clearng)

An interesting design. Feel different, can't explain it yet fully but it's a good thing once you get used to it. The hollow shaft...I guess it works. It certainly looks cool. More as I test it...
    numb feel which is both good and bad. Good because it nullifies harsh vibration. Ideal for people with arm or elbow problems. Bad because it negatives all the good vibration which gives you shuttle feedback. So it just depends if you can take the good with the bad or can get used to it. 1600 and 1700 are aero frames, fast through the zone, good transition, strong frames. Hit hard. 1700 has kevlar and is more stable than the 1600 by a good bit. 1800 is an excellent attack racket. The frame is less aero and even stronger than the 1600/1700. Overall, the VH rackets are very good performing, just depends if you want the feel or therelackof...maybe an acquired taste.

Myself I perfer VH1500 more the VH1800. VH1500 is stiffer and heavier than VH1800. More powerful when attacking. In the other hand, VH1800 is a more defensive racket to me. The flex of VH1500 just perfect for me. (HappyTA5)

Been trying Visible 1800 Hollow. Its a very solid racket but recommend not to use apacs string (as normally given free). Break the string in my second game at 26lbs. Now changed to BG80 - 25 1/2lbs. Smashing is powerful and the impact feeling is very strong. Netplay is easy as feel of racket very much. Drop shots a little tricky but surely can manage after few games in the bag. Shot placement very accurate and sharp. Sound very solid and quite intimidating if you can smash with power. Weight after strung is around 89~. Overall, grade A apacs racket..no doubt. (CaSiOKiDD)

- head heavy
    - ideal for smashing
    - must get used for the head heavy feature to get good drop shots
    - good for net-play as well
    - come with anti-vibration technology (lelynx)

·Nano Pro

Nano Pro 9600 Tour
    An awesome racket, reminds me of the NS9000, inbetween the X and S in stiffness. Better built, as good if not better performance. Fast head, good defense, powerful. A great all-around, attacking racket. I really like this racket.
    an excellent racket. If Yonex made a NS9000 inbetween the X and S, this would be it. Stiffness is inbetween the X and S. Good all-around.

·Furious

Furious 663
    What really caught my eye was the brilliant paint job and design. It was a really beautiful piece of art.

My first impression of this racket was that it was too stiff. But when my arm adjusted and I started hitting the sweet spot, shots were wonderful. Accuracy was great, power was there and the sound of my smashes were really intimidating.

After the initial first testing, I wrapped a normal Ashaway overgrip over the original grip and when I next used it, I got a shock. The racket felt so much easier to control! Power was, however, reduced, due to the handle being heavier than before.

It was originally strung at 28lbs with a 0.66mm APACS string, can't remember which one. I used the racket so much that the strings soon snapped.

Newly restrung at 30lbs with BG66, you could feel the sweet spot get significantly smaller, which is rather unfortunate. Although shots were sharper and with better feeling (Which might be due to the string), mishits were very unforgiving. All in all though, for the price that I saw it was being sold for, this racket is worth it.
    Power: 3.5/5
    Control: 4.5/5
    Feel: 5/5
    Manouevrebility: 3.5/5 (NiKYEAM)

·Nano Speed

Nano 9000 speed
    i just bought an apacs nano 9000 speed. looks exactly like the yonex ns9k. even the name almost the same :p its 3u n headlight. control is great. good for drops. im satisfied with the power. baseline to baseline lobs are effortless. smashing is lethal if u get it right in the sweetspot. can take up to 30lbs tension. (zhafir92)

Yes, the Apacs Nano Pro 9000 and 9900 are worven finished. (deepblue88)

apacs ns9000.strung wit powergut at 26lbs. performs well enough for my requirements. power n accuracy are decent. im 14 n i play for my school in district tournaments.i play 3 days a week for at least 2 hours.
    durability..top notch. (zhafir92)

personally, i feel the apacs nano9000speed packs more punch. It is less stiff compared to the apacs nano900power. Apacs nano9000speed, feels even balanced, not like the yonex.hope this helps. (Sgbad)

·
    AP

AP 800

I got my AP800 3 months ago from a shop in Melbourne, Australia through eBay for AUD$63. Though it is quite light, not so heavy headed, but the power is there. This AP800 of mine is quite solid, had few clashes with partners since then, but only one minor noticeable paint chip so far. (rrc36)

I have played badminton using AP800 for several years, around 5-8 hours a week. The performance convinced me to be an APACS fan.

Armor power 800 is a great racket. it worth a try. It's fast, good (not excellent) power, robust, good paint, good feeling, excellent for its price.

one question is that it's said head heavy (on the shaft) but in my opinion, it's close to even balance or head light. You should try it before buy it. My feeling about balance-point may not be the same to you. I did not measure it but from specification it's 290mm. Campared to nano pro 9900, 9800, npm, it's hard to say it's head heavy.

I will say it's very good quality and robust. It was hit a lot of times in double games. still alive.

BTW, i string it 23x25, i am a double player, satisfied with the AP800's speed. (Brady)

2. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    Good work to keep it up compiled.Keep it going!

3. hoiboy79

hoiboy79 Regular Member

Juss wanted to ask where the heck u could buy one of these Nano Pro 9600 Tours. Someone told me that they were no longer in production.

4. IBaddersI

IBaddersI Regular Member

School
  5. hoiboy79

hoiboy79 Regular Member

lol this is the same guy who told me that they were no longer in production

6. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    i asked racquet_sports on ebay for the Apacs Armor Muscle Pro 95 and he said it is 3-4 years old and he had none left.

7. hoiboy79

hoiboy79 Regular Member

that guy is like the main supplier of my rackets too bad he doesnt have much variety

8. ApacsCanada

ApacsCanada Regular Member

Just for you guys information. Nano Pro 9600 tour, Armor Muscle Pro series will be available in Canada at early June.

9. HappyTA5

HappyTA5 Regular Member

My newly strung Nano Fusion 7800

This is my newly strung 30/32lb nano Fusion 7800.
    It's a 4U .. but very strong head frame. Good enough for me ... I use it for 2 hrs tonite. Pretty powerful because flex is medium-stiff... BP 285mm ... not as fast as the VH1500.

NF7800.jpg

10. Skanbuzz

Skanbuzz Regular Member

Construction
    Hi Happy TA5,

I am not very knowligible with badminton rackets & you can probably see my other posting where I am trying to learn.

I am a creational player once a week 3 hrs. Double is my game & enjoying the men challege. I used to play some 15yrs ago & had a Yonex carbonex 15.

I notice this thread on Apacs rackets and very interested to know more.
    If I am a defensive player, poor in smashing & rear court action but generally good at the net. I wish to improve on my weakness. I am looking for a racket that is suitable & Yonex tends t give more details.

Which Apacs would you suggest & why or give the yonex equivalent to it so I can see the technical details & compare myself.

As for string, I still learning & do not know what tension is best for my requirement

Any advice would be welcome & maybe I can be a Apacs converter too

11. hoiboy79

hoiboy79 Regular Member

Definitely switch to APACS. I am by no means an advertiser for them, but for me, APACS has a lot more value than Yonex will ever have. For one thing their rackets are a hell of a lot cheaper. But not only are they cheaper, they are in my opinion just as good and some even better than Yonex. You should definitely consider switching.

12. HappyTA5

HappyTA5 Regular Member

Hi there,

defensive player..poor in smashing and backcourt clear. To me this is lack of swing power due to... incorrect swing motion or wrong timing. I will suggest you use a medium or flex racket. It will help you a bit on the power. String tension should be keep at about 20/22lb. You don't need a fancy racket at this moment. Visible Hollow 1200/1300 should do the job. Avoid any STIFF racket at this moment. As your power increase, you can increase the string tension as well as the stiffness of the racket. The reason of increasing both will give you more accuracy.

May be you can download some training video. There are lot of link in this board. They are really helpful.

13. hoiboy79

hoiboy79 Regular Member

Wanted to know how much more "oversize'' a frame can actually get after seeing the Nano Fusion Oversize. How does this oversize frame affect play?

14. h4n5ip

h4n5ip Regular Member

I just tried Apacs Edge Saber 10 last night.

4UG2 Bg66 28lbs
    I felt it was a quite balance racket.
    As it was a 4U racket, it is very easy to manuver, net play was OK.
    I was surprise that the power was also there. Drive, Lob was done with ease.
    As soon as I changed to AS10, I felt that the power was more on AS10.
    I could feel also the super HMG, the AS felt more solid feeling.
    The bird also bounce quicker with this AS10 and sharper (I think because of the CS carbon nanotube)
    General feeling: it's worth it to buy as the price around $40

15. allexking

allexking Regular Member

Senior Property Executive
    Is good to hear your good comment on Apacs Edge Saber 10.
    In fact I am hunting for Pro Ace Thunder Bolt 3, since my favorite shop do not have stock of TB 3 and I have looked most of racquets in that shop.
    Finally the shop owner recommend Edge Saber 10 to me.
    Still reluctant at first, and finally decided to buy one.
    Now is to wait until next wednesday only can test run my new racquet.

16. Skanbuzz

Skanbuzz Regular Member

Construction
    Apacs uk retail?

Hi,
    Anyone know Apacs uk retail shops or which online retails is reliable to buy from & send to uk?

As suggested earlier, I could be looking for VH 1200/1300
    I am more of a double player for leisure with a bit of a challege on the men's double.

Saying that review on the VH1800 is good too
    Any comment or other suggestion?
    Is the degsaber a bouble racket?

Thanks

17. h4n5ip

h4n5ip Regular Member

Pls throw your opinion.
    I guess for more power you can choose 3U.
    You will not regret for buying one. IMO this racket is one of the best among their competitors.

18. IBaddersI

IBaddersI Regular Member

School
    Its a bit short notice but this guy on ebay has some APACS rackets, I think its the cheapest for us guys in Europe.

And hes got a VH 1300 too :D The only problem is that the shipping takes like 2 weeks :(

19. Skanbuzz

Skanbuzz Regular Member

Construction
    just tried Apacs Edge Saber 10 last night.

4UG2 Bg66 28lbs
    I felt it was a quite balance racket.
    As it was a 4U racket, it is very easy to manuver, net play was OK.
    I was surprise that the power was also there. Drive, Lob was done with ease.
    As soon as I changed to AS10, I felt that the power was more on AS10.
    I could feel also the super HMG, the AS felt more solid feeling.
    The bird also bounce quicker with this AS10 and sharper (I think because of the CS carbon nanotube)
    General feeling: it's worth it to buy as the price around $40

When you mention AS10, do you mean Edge saber 10? or you mean yonex Arc saber 10?

If Edgesaber 10, overall how you rate this racket?
    Would it be suitable for single or double play?

Thanks

20. h4n5ip

h4n5ip Regular Member

Fortunately I have those 2 racket Arch saber 10 (AS10) and Apacs Edge saber 10 (ES10).

I would rate this racket ES10 = 8.5
    If you want to be more offensive you can choose 3U.
    If you want more to all around, you can choose 4U.
    IMO, it will be suitable for both playability (single-double).