User Tag List

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: APACS review

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman71 View Post
    Interesting, most poeple will grip the handle closer to the cone, but you cut the handle, does the playability between these two really have a lot of differences ? (might try experimenting this ) And the picture you posted, is it after the modification ? thanks ...
    Choking up on the handle (gripping it nearer the cone) will reduce the swingweight (effectively the amount of energy required to swing the racket on your stroke) but doesn't affect the total weight of the racket.

Removing the end of the handle will reduce the swingweight by more (because swingweight is a function of total weight and the distance between the axis of rotation (the point on the handle that the racket rotates around when swinging)) and reduce the overall weight of the racket. That should help with fatigue and help when moving the racket in a non-rotational way (like bringing it up after a smash or moving it from the forehand side to the backhand side).

As for how much of a difference it makes, um, I don't know. Maybe if he posts the weight before and after the modification (before the overgrip mod) I could estimate the difference.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by weinsteinium View Post
    Choking up on the handle (gripping it nearer the cone) will reduce the swingweight (effectively the amount of energy required to swing the racket on your stroke) but doesn't affect the total weight of the racket.

Removing the end of the handle will reduce the swingweight by more (because swingweight is a function of total weight and the distance between the axis of rotation (the point on the handle that the racket rotates around when swinging)) and reduce the overall weight of the racket. That should help with fatigue and help when moving the racket in a non-rotational way (like bringing it up after a smash or moving it from the forehand side to the backhand side).

As for how much of a difference it makes, um, I don't know. Maybe if he posts the weight before and after the modification (before the overgrip mod) I could estimate the difference.
    The weight difference is less than 2 grams. That weight itself shouldn't matter much. As a reference, a Canadian penny is just over 2 grams. The difference I feel, IMO, is due to the decrease in length of the racket when I hold it right to the endcap. You can get a similar effect by wrapping extra tape at the tapered are a of the cap which would make your grip be further toward the cone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where did you buy it for RM130?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ph_leung View Post
    The weight difference is less than 2 grams. That weight itself shouldn't matter much. As a reference, a Canadian penny is just over 2 grams. The difference I feel, IMO, is due to the decrease in length of the racket when I hold it right to the endcap. You can get a similar effect by wrapping extra tape at the tapered are a of the cap which would make your grip be further toward the cone.
    I agree that 2 grams doesn't seem like much but the difference between a very light racket (4U) at 82g and a heavy racket at 92g (2U) is only 10 grams. 2 grams 1/5 of that difference and you can probably feel the difference.

That said, the biggest effect is shortening the racket because of you are shortening the lever arm. If you consider the racket to be made up of thousands of tiny points, each point would effect the swingweight using the formula m*(r^2) where m is mass and r is the distance from point of rotation (i.e. your grip). By shortening the racket, the r for each of those points gets smaller and the total swingweight is significantly affected.

When you choke up on a racket you make the distance to the end of the racket shorter and you add some mass behind your grip. Because the distance to the head of the racket makes much more of a difference in the swingweight than the distance to the butt of the racket (due to the fact that r is squared in the formula), the effective swingweight is significantly lowered.

By the same token, adding weight at the point of your grip (i.e. overgrip) makes much less of a difference to the swingweight than adding weight to the head of the racket (say lead tape).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can get Edge saber 10 for only RM91.45 which includes string and grip from Topper Sports Sdn Bhd located at Ampang Park

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone know an up to date contact email/website for APACS? (English please)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by weinsteinium View Post
    I agree that 2 grams doesn't seem like much but the difference between a very light racket (4U) at 82g and a heavy racket at 92g (2U) is only 10 grams. 2 grams 1/5 of that difference and you can probably feel the difference.

That said, the biggest effect is shortening the racket because of you are shortening the lever arm. If you consider the racket to be made up of thousands of tiny points, each point would effect the swingweight using the formula m*(r^2) where m is mass and r is the distance from point of rotation (i.e. your grip). By shortening the racket, the r for each of those points gets smaller and the total swingweight is significantly affected.

When you choke up on a racket you make the distance to the end of the racket shorter and you add some mass behind your grip. Because the distance to the head of the racket makes much more of a difference in the swingweight than the distance to the butt of the racket (due to the fact that r is squared in the formula), the effective swingweight is significantly lowered.

By the same token, adding weight at the point of your grip (i.e. overgrip) makes much less of a difference to the swingweight than adding weight to the head of the racket (say lead tape).
    I see we agree. You provided the details. This is why balance point measurements are not very meaningful (the point of measurement should be of a force where you grip the racket) and why I remove factory lead tape from the handle of my rackets.

Update on my VH1700: The paint is flaking off the cone in big pieces. So far I don't see anything on the surface that would make it have any "antivibration" properies. The plastic is an ugly turquoise colour. I'm willing to forgive this because the cone's shape is perfect for when I serve and play at the net. It has nicely defined flat sides

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IBaddersI View Post
    Does anyone know an up to date contact email/website for APACS? (English please)
    www.apacscanada.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gigabit View Post
    You can get Edge saber 10 for only RM91.45 which includes string and grip from Topper Sports Sdn Bhd located at Ampang Park
    I bought it @ RM130.00 (grip + string)
    I thought is a good deal.
    But your purchase even a better one.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see we agree. You provided the details. This is why balance point measurements are not very meaningful (the point of measurement should be of a force where you grip the racket) and why I remove factory lead tape from the handle of my rackets.

Update on my VH1700: The paint is flaking off the cone in big pieces. So far I don't see anything on the surface that would make it have any "antivibration" properies. The plastic is an ugly turquoise colour. I'm willing to forgive this because the cone's shape is perfect for when I serve and play at the net. It has nicely defined flat sides
    Update on my 3 APACS rackets:

VH1600: Collapsed on first restring at 28lbs
    VH1700: Rim is cracking at shared grommet area. Played not more than a dozen games with no clashes. 28lbs tension.
    AMPS90: Shaft just 3cm under the T-joint disintegrated. Played just 2 games with no clashes.

That's it. My test of APACs is over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update on my 3 APACS rackets:

VH1600: Collapsed on first restring at 28lbs
    VH1700: Rim is cracking at shared grommet area. Played not more than a dozen games with no clashes. 28lbs tension.
    AMPS90: Shaft just 3cm under the T-joint disintegrated. Played just 2 games with no clashes.

That's it. My test of APACs is over.
    Is it possible for you to get warranty on some of those rackets?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Which APACS rackets to buy

I am new to this forum and been browsing it because I need to buy a couple new rackets. It has been really helpful reading all your posting, but it is still hard to decide in the end. My impression is that APACS provides good value and since I am only an intermediate player, I think they will be good for me. I have a "heavy" style of playing and need to use my wrists more than I currenly do.

What I need more help with is to decide which models I should buy. I want 2 different rackets to be used for different situations (single/dubble)(type of opponent). Variation in terms of power, flexibility, etc would be nice to. Can anyone provide any suggestions?

I looked at reviews already, especially for ES10, Nano900 Power and VH1800 and they all seem to be quite allround.

I am in Singapore right now and will Visit KL next weekend. Any suggestions for where should I get them from? Any good stores in particular?

Thanks all. This forum is great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a batch of edgesaber 10, nano 900 red and white at very competitive prices, compelte with customised stringing. email me :CliffTY.lim@gmail.com for more info

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hi .. can i have more information about EdgeSaber 10 and EdgeSaber 7 ??? feel going to purchase either one >.<.....please give more information on both thx !!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Enthu View Post
    I am new to this forum and been browsing it because I need to buy a couple new rackets. It has been really helpful reading all your posting, but it is still hard to decide in the end. My impression is that APACS provides good value and since I am only an intermediate player, I think they will be good for me. I have a "heavy" style of playing and need to use my wrists more than I currenly do.

What I need more help with is to decide which models I should buy. I want 2 different rackets to be used for different situations (single/dubble)(type of opponent). Variation in terms of power, flexibility, etc would be nice to. Can anyone provide any suggestions?

I looked at reviews already, especially for ES10, Nano900 Power and VH1800 and they all seem to be quite allround.

I am in Singapore right now and will Visit KL next weekend. Any suggestions for where should I get them from? Any good stores in particular?

Thanks all. This forum is great.
    Armor Muscle Pro 90 or 95. ES10 and Nano 900 Power are okay, but they are not nearly as good as an Armor Muscle Pro. As for the VH1800, I have not tried it before.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Armor Muscle pro 90 or 95 is head heavy??? ES10 and ES7 is light head or head heavy??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

es more balance toward headlight, amp balance toward head heavy, tough it isn't very heavy like yy armortec line imo

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast