Will it be CTF-LWW or Fairuz-Zakry for Olympics?

Discussion in 'Olympics BEIJING 2008' started by carine, May 23, 2008.

1. carine

carine Regular Member

Will it be Tan Fook-Wan Wah or Fairuzizuan-Zakry?

IT is still not decided if veteran pair Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah or Zakry Latif-Fairuzizuan Tazari will join Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong on the flight to Beijing for the Olympics.
    National doubles coach Rexy Mainaky confirmed yesterday that World No 5 Kien Keat-Boon Heong have impressed him enough to play in the Olympics.

"Kien Keat-Boon Heong are not back at their best but they are making progress. They are now focused and mentally prepared for the Olympics but their hearts are still not on winning the gold medal," said Rexy at the National Sports Council (NSC) in Bukit Jalil yesterday.

"However, a little fine-tuning could do the job for them. I will be able to do it when they compete innext month's Singapore Open and Indonesia Open.

"Believe me, if they are back to their best, they will win the Olympic gold medal."
    Although the three Malaysian pairs have qualified for the Beijing Games on merit, Olympic regulations state only two can compete in the event.

However, Rexy was less impressed with Tan Fook and Wan Wah.

"I'm still in doubt whether they are mentally prepared for the Olympics. I'm sceptical after what had happened to them in the recent Thomas Cup." he said.

Rexy is especially unhappy with Tan Fook for falling sick at the eleventh hour before the semi-final clash against China.

"If I was Tan Fook, I would have still played. I don't know now whether they put themselves first before the country. If that is so, then there's a big problem.

" He also wrote off Tan Fook-Wan Wah's chances of winning Olympic gold. On Zakry-Fairuzizuan, the coach said the pair have the desire and heart for glory.

"The fire within them will be a plus in the Olympics, however, the BA of Malaysia (BAM) coaching committee may opt for the two senior pairs.

"I have two pairs in my mind now but the final decision will be made by the coaching committee."

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Friday/Sport/2247662/Article/index_html

PS:sry,i nt sure it hv been post ady o nt,if ady hv,help me delete.thx...

2. kungfukid

kungfukid Regular Member

I really hope that LWW and CTF can go to their final Olympic. They have worked hard for it throughout the year. It's kind of unfair to leave them out just bcos of their recent performance in TC. Moreover, they were handicapped by injuries during TC.
    I prefer believe in them. They are by far the most stable malaysian pair, they r still one of the top pairs in the world.

3. olympic

olympic Regular Member

Yes indeed,they have really worked hard and never give up.At their age it's always not easy to stay on course in this competitive doubles event.

4. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Mourihno said Grant is a big loser coz Chealse "almost" won the EPL, Champion League and FA Cup but ended up empty handed. In sports, "almost" means losing, and history only has place for "winners" :rolleyes:

Pls tell the "uncles" to shop somewhere else... perhaps HK? :cool:

5. Hitman71

Hitman71 Regular Member

Source NST 27/7/08

Wan Wah poser

By : Ajitpal Singh

THE Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) will be taking a huge risk if they register Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah for the Beijing Olympics.
    Regardless of whether Wan Wah, who suffered an injury in his right shoulder, is given a clean bill of health by the National Sports Insitute (NSC) doctors, the player could easily aggravate his injury in competition or training prior to the Games.

International Olympic Council (IOC) rules clearly state that a nation cannot replace any of its registered athletes with an unregistered athlete after the Beijing Games registration deadline.

For badminton, countries have until Saturday to submit its complete list of shuttlers. Badminton World Federation (BWF) events and development manager, M. Venugopal confirmed the IOC ruling.

"In Malaysia's case, if Wan Wah is registered for the event and gets injured after the deadline, his partner (Tan Fook) can still compete in the doubles, provided he partners another registered shuttler. However, this must be done before the draw is finalised," said Venugopal yesterday.
    This being the case, it would be a safer option for the BAM to opt for third choice Zakry Latif-Fairuzizuan Tazari to accompany Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong to Beijing.

Kien Keat-Boon Heong, Tan Fook-Wan Wah and Zakry-Fairuzizuan are the three doubles pairs who have qualified for the Olympics on merit. However, any one country can enter only two pairs for the event.

After being advised to rest for a week, Wan Wah reported for training yesterday but only for physical conditioning.

Wan Wah and the other Olympic-bound shuttlers also went through a medical test and will continue with the physical test today.

Meanwhile, national chief coach Yap Kim Hock said the BAM will announce its Olympic-bound squad on Friday.

"We, the coaching committee, will need to discuss the medical and physical test results of all the shuttlers before finalising the list," said Kim Hock.

The other shuttlers who have qualified for the Olympics are World No 2 Lee Chong Wei, Wong Mew Choo and Wong Pei Tty-Chin Eei Hui.
    addthis_pub = 'nstonline';

6. Hitman71

Hitman71 Regular Member

Rexy: Fairuzizuan-Zakry can handle pressure at Olympics

By LIM TEIK HUAT

KUALA LUMPUR: National doubles chief coach Rexy Mainaky does not think that Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari-Mohd Zakry Latif will get cold feet if they get the nod to make their Olympic debut in Beijing in August.
    He said that the duo had proved their ability to handle big challenges in the recent Thomas Cup Finals in Jakarta.
    Then, Fairuzizuan-Zakry kept Malaysia alive in the semi-final tie against China. They won the second doubles match against Guo Zhendong-Xie Xhongbo to level the tie at 2-2. But Malaysia went on to lose 2-3 with the defeat of Mohd Hafiz Hashim by Chen Jin.
    “They did well in their first Thomas Cup appearance together and I am proud of them for keeping Malaysia's hopes alive at that point,” said Rexy.
    “If they can handle the pressure in the Thomas Cup, I believe they will have no problem dealing with it in the Olympics. I would say that the pressure in the Thomas Cup Finals is greater because the whole team count on you. It's more individual in the Olympics.”
    While the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) would have no problem naming the two men's pairs for the Beijing Games under normal circumstances, a right shoulder injury suffered by Lee Wan Wah in the Thomas Cup Finals has put his participation in a partnership with Choong Tan Fook in doubt.
    Malaysia can pick Fairuzizuan-Zakry as one of their two entries because the duo are among the top 16 pairs in the world at the end of the Olympic qualifying period. The other pair who made the cut are Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong.
    The BAM will subject all three pairs to medical and physical tests beginning today. They have to name the two pairs for the Beijing Games before Friday. No replacement is allowed after the submission of the final list.
    “We have to find out the condition of all the players before making a final decision,” said Rexy.
    Zakry said that they would not raise their hopes too high over getting to play in the Olympics.
    “If we get to go, we will surely be ready for the challenges. We will continue training for our next assignment at the Singapore Open next month,” he said.

7. bcmmgr

bcmmgr Regular Member

Anyone may still get injure after the deadline, how about KKK get injure during Singapore Open....so they shouldn't send KKK/TBH to olympic too......

we cannot guarantee any one will not get injure after the deadline, unless DO NOT send any of the qualify players to tournament, and all of the qualify players cannot do training (training may get injure too) until after olympic. So from now on, those players can go to movie everyday.....oh cannot, how about if they accident get injure during driving to the cinema, they best way is keep them in the jail until after olympic.

I think this article is very unfair to LWW.

(remember LCY get accident right before World Championship).

#7 bcmmgr, May 26, 2008
    Last edited: May 26, 2008
  8. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I do agree that Fuzzy and Zakry can handle the pressure. But i have to admit they are not performing at the top level yet but they are getting there.

9. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    If the doctors (NSC) said LWW is unfit to OG, means that Fuzzy's will replace them.

Then, the decision-maker will be the doctors, not those BAM Jokers.

10. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I agree with you 100%.

11. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    Can handle the wust-win presuure at TC?The game against GZD/XZB?

When Fuzzy's came in to play, MAS already 1-2 behind CHN.And the 3RD Singles will be the hopeless HH.

In this situation, The Fuzzy's are playing the game without any pressure at all.They knew that mas will lost to CHN (HH will give free point to CHN)regardless what is the result frOm their game.

If they win, ppl will said it's another strong mas pair.In they lost, ppl will said they are still young and inexperienced.The Fuzzy's are actually in a must-win situation.

I dont think they can handle the pressure in Beijing.

And my vote goes to CTF/LWW.

12. bcmmgr

bcmmgr Regular Member

Yes, agree with you, and Ajitpal Singh article is really unfair to LWW.

13. Hitman71

Hitman71 Regular Member

hehehe If the doctors said LWW is unfit, BAM will have fuzzy to replace them. Its the right decision, decision that is not based on emotion. Frankly we all aware that both these pair won't win the olympic gold. If BAM decide to send CTF/LWW it will be like their retirement gift and appreciaton for all that they have done for the country. If BAM decide to send the Fuzzy pair, its for the experience and future of Msia badminton.

Only problem is, if the uncles suddenly injured before or during the olympic who is going to answer ? BAM will definitely look stupid ..... The uncles chances of getting injured is ... hmmm

14. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

To solve this problem, BAM will send YapKimHock/Rexy as our 2nd double :eek: Dun play play hor... that's GOLD+Silver medal combination :p:D

15. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    Metal

Wakakakakakaka....

No need to argue Send both coaches! kekeke

LWW/CTF start being ACTSY with Rexy that's why Rexy dont want to send them to OG08 but UNCLEs good fren with the shorty...

So now POLITICssssssss.....

Rexy Vs Shorty!

WHO WIN?

We'll know by 30may... few days to go :cool:

#15 SibugiChai, May 27, 2008
    Last edited: May 27, 2008
  16. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    Or maybe Punch Gunalan/Datuk Nadzmi combination:D:D

17. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    bcmmgr...please read my reply in fuzzy replace kkk/tbh thread...:D

18. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

I have a feeling Zakry-Fairu will go. CTF and LWW should be blamed for inconsistency and constant injuries.

19. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    Fuzzy is the press fave because CTF/LWW not playing the public card... :cool:

The press is "Promoting" Fuzzy to the public, Not the BAM CHOICES

20. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

kah kah kah, I dont think Datuk Nadzmi was prof shuttler. :D

Dont worry, reporter not the one making the decision. It just shows the NST reporter prefer Fuzzy to go, The Star & Sin Chew is more neutral.

Also shows BAM committee divided in the decision, got pro & con with each pair, so decided to let the tests decide it, then no accusations either way.