Is this proper?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Nic, May 8, 2002.

1. Nic

Nic Regular Member

BCBF Member
    I have 2 racquets, one is U and another one is 2U.
    I normally use the heavier one for warming up, do some strokes and smashes. I will shift to the lighter racquet when playing in a game. I do this because I lack of strength and power all the time and I find by doing this way, my power enhanced after I switch to the lighter racquet.

Does this just psychologically influenced me or it does have some physical effect?

2. norchris

norchris Regular Member

government employee
    I think you are doing a good thing . It is like training with weights and then when you come to the game you will not play with weights on. I think that's why you feel better when you play with lighter racquet.

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yes. i see a lot people do that. i used to warm up with a squash racket. some people put a half length racket cover on to create more air friction for warmup.

4. Nic

Nic Regular Member

BCBF Member
    Thanks norchris and kwun.
    I was afraid because everytime after i shift my racquet from heavy to light, I will feel the pain from my shoulder.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Pain in the shoulder? You're probably using too much shoulder movement in your technique.

I strained something in my shoulder a few months ago. Against Dr's advice (!), I didn't rest it but I did take off some of the power from the smash. A lot of people didn't notice the difference! It's all in the fingers and forearm.

6. Nic

Nic Regular Member

BCBF Member
    Cheung,

here is another arguement that I had with my friend, about the technique of smashing.
    I smash using the strength from my forearm and wrist, but he told me the proper way to smash is to use the strength from the shoulder, forearm and wrist (basically what he meant is swing the whole hand).