glasses and hand-eye coordination

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by saifii, May 30, 2008.

1. saifii

saifii Regular Member

i have problem in accurately and consistently hitting smashes where i want them to hit and also the fact that i frame a lot. i have big number glasses and i think it interferes in my game.
    am i right in believing so or should i just PRACTICE MORE

2. Khawai

Khawai Regular Member

Im wearing glasses and i have no problem at all. The degrees of my eyes are 500 on my right and 450 on my left. i think you should just practice more. ;) Hope this helps.

3. E.Cheng

E.Cheng Regular Member

Student
    I wear glasses and when I "dive" for a drop shot my head goes down and so does my glasses. I would suggest you get contact lenses they really help. If you dont want contacts then you should just get used to at aiming the shuttle with the glasses on.

4. THEbaschti

THEbaschti Regular Member

I also changed to contact lenses some time ago. Had no major problems with glasses, either, (mine weren't as high numbered as yours though) but it definitely feels better to play with lenses for me. No sweat on it, you don't look over the frame of the glasses etc.

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    just practice more.

many people, including me, wear glasses to play badminton.

the only time i had problem is when i sweat so much the sweat starts to condense on the lens as well as make the glass slipping off my ears. a towel will solve those problems pretty easily. other than that, i can only blame myself for poor shots made.

6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

The other potential problem is that wearing ordinary glasses dramatically increases the risk of eye injuries, because they can break when hit by a shuttle, causing shards of glass to enter the eye.

Make sure your glasses are genuinely shatter-proof.

7. kubuk

kubuk Regular Member

Student
    I use glasses sometimes when I play badminton but not during training or any big matches. My left eye is about 120-150 degrees while my other is around 200-300. I feel your pain. The glasses bounces when you jump, limited clear eyesight range and things like that. Its pretty much hard to do a jump smash with glasses on.

Like gollum said, do make sure your glasses don't break easily. Always a risk to play at the net while someone smashes at you. Better yet, try to adjust yourself by not wearing specs while playing. And even better.. laser surgery or contact lenses.

8. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

No.

Make sure they don't shatter at all. They should be made of anti-shatter materials.

If you're in any doubt, bash them against a wall until they break (not while you're wearing them, obviously...). If they split cleanly without shattering, buy another pair of the same glasses. :D

9. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

**EDIT**

Don't bash them against a wall. You might hurt your hand.

Tread on them instead, outside, wearing boots and trousers. :D

10. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    The trend in glasses is to go plastic, which is now very light, scratch-proof and shatter-proof. Being very light they don't tend to fall off like real glass. The high quality plastic glasses weigh between 6g to 9g, for the frame and the lens.

11. Elixau

Elixau Regular Member

I think you should just practice more, I don't think there's anything wrong with wearing glasses, it shouldn't interfere with your game.

12. saifii

saifii Regular Member

the problem comes in anticipation as u have to more your whole head to perfectly see. u know how the framecomes in ur vision when when u rotate yur eyeballs .
    oh and my glasses have plastic lens so no prob there
    i say i t INTERFERES bcz without glasses i my play gets better but then citing the birdie bcoms a prob

13. saifii

saifii Regular Member

another question i would put here is wether glasses alter the 3d placement of an object.
    u know like closing ur one eye

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I have some doubt on this.

This guy is not looking perfectly at the shuttle.

[​IMG]

Nor, this guy

[​IMG]

BTW, I've heard the field of view of the human eye for perfect focus is an angle of 2%. That is pretty small compared to some other animals.

15. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    I had glasses and they were pretty bothersome. When I ditched them and got contacts, I went from Jv #1-2 one year, to consistently Varsity #2 this year. Thats with a lot of practice though.

16. lwiew

lwiew Regular Member

Student
    My eyes are at 350 and about 500, short sighted, and I've worn glasses for a long time. For anyone considering contact lenses, I would recommend them 100% not just for badminton or sport. I find that vision with lenses is so much clearer, and you get the whole range whereas with glasses, the corners are still blurry. Sure, contacts are a b*tch to learn to put on... I think for the first month or so it would take me like half an hour and I'd end up with super red eyes, frustrated as hell, but after you get used to putting them in, you won't even need a mirror =)

Contacts ftw!

17. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    Yeah. Its crazy in the beginning. But I used mirrors so often, its a bit hard to not use one, so try not to use mirrors all the time. Also I have a bad habit of keeping them on for too long. I don't think its healthy for our eyes.

18. saifii

saifii Regular Member

i guess ill try lens

19. UrashimaKun

UrashimaKun Regular Member

Does wearing glasses help during the game or really nessesary for people who got really bad eyes sight?I got about 200 degree both eyes and I never did wear my glasses,because im afraid that i would've break those.

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    So was it the extra practice or the change to contacts that helped? If you both around the same time, we don't which really helped you.