User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 48
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    England, London
    Posts
    104
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Useful deceptive or trick shots

    Let's form a list of deceptive or trick shots that works for you.

    I have two favourites that I use:

    1) Peter Gade special - This is disguised as a net shot put on your backhand (e.g. left side if you're right handed) which you leave to drop below net level then push tight to the far right side. This looks flashy but it really puts the server off guard and a really useful shot to master. Key in deceptive, shot, peter gade on youtube too see this shot in practice.

    2) Receive of short serve-Position the shuttle on backhand and pretend to play a strong straight push to the back corner but play a soft mid cross court (between the server and the player at the back). If played well, this shot should make the opponents at least lean towards the right side perhaps even wrong footing them hence putting them off balance.

    Comments and contributions please.

    Thanks

    Wai
    Last edited by waiwai8; 06-01-2008 at 02:23 AM.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Basement Boiler Room
    Posts
    22,118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    post a video with your favourite shot so we know what u r talking about

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    England, London
    Posts
    104
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    You can search the video for the first shot as I described. The second shot is not a commonly used therefore I don't know where I can find the clip (if it exists).
    Last edited by waiwai8; 06-01-2008 at 02:29 AM.

  4. #4
    Regular Member jhirata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand, New Z
    Posts
    2,488
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The first one is also known as the 'Gade feint'.
    It's similar to Roger Federer's famous trick shot as well in tennis.
    It's not really that hard to perform, it is actually really easy once we get the timing right. However, I don't use this trickshot so often because I still need to keep practising the get the height right. Sometimes it's perfect, sometimes too long, sometimes too high.

    This deception by Jens Eriksen is another trickshot that I commonly use.
    It's so effective in both singles and doubles. Not hard to perform either. All we need to do is to..: Stay by the net, hold, then flick the shuttle to the left using your backhand if you're right handed.
    Many singles players are seen using this deception as well. It's used by players such as Lin Dan, Peter Gade, etc. It's a very effective tool to set up a netkill.

  5. #5
    Regular Member Mark A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    St Helens, UK
    Posts
    4,314
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb7dU...eature=related

    Have a look at Cai Yun's shot at 0:28 - awesome. I use this shot when returning serve. You have to sell it with a ponderous hold, but it works.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    London area, UK
    Posts
    3,949
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark A View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb7dU...eature=related

    Have a look at Cai Yun's shot at 0:28 - awesome. I use this shot when returning serve. You have to sell it with a ponderous hold, but it works.
    I think you mean the shot at 0:31.

    Although this shot can be an effective return of serve, it has a huge downside: it's a lift! Unless you succeed in sending your opponent the wrong way, you just give him the first attack.

    It's quite easy to combat this return of serve: wait until you see the shuttle before committing your movement. In my experience, this return is favoured by players who don't move forwards and attack the serve aggressively. So once you work out how to deal with it, they don't have any more effective weapons left.

    In the rally, this deception slowed down his opponent slightly and thereby blunted the attack. But notice that they were able to maintain the attack without any real difficulty, and won the rally very soon.

    This kind of deception is much more useful in singles. In singles, it's a great return of serve.
    Last edited by Gollum; 06-01-2008 at 07:16 AM.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    WWAAO
    Posts
    2,146
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    the hold and flick is a pretty useful shot in singles and sometimes doubles.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Stockton, California
    Posts
    515
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jhirata View Post
    The first one is also known as the 'Gade feint'.
    It's similar to Roger Federer's famous trick shot as well in tennis.
    It's not really that hard to perform, it is actually really easy once we get the timing right. However, I don't use this trickshot so often because I still need to keep practising the get the height right. Sometimes it's perfect, sometimes too long, sometimes too high.

    This deception by Jens Eriksen is another trickshot that I commonly use.
    It's so effective in both singles and doubles. Not hard to perform either. All we need to do is to..: Stay by the net, hold, then flick the shuttle to the left using your backhand if you're right handed.
    Many singles players are seen using this deception as well. It's used by players such as Lin Dan, Peter Gade, etc. It's a very effective tool to set up a netkill.
    You showed me that haha. Do you think we can hold a forehand drop then hit it to the right? I'll call it. KazeCloud's Deceptive Net Shot. Created June 1, 2008.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    226
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Basement Boiler Room
    Posts
    22,118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hagane View Post
    nope,that is a deceptive forehand drive/attack clear.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Basement Boiler Room
    Posts
    22,118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    it just happen i came across an opponent today that employed that reverse backhand lift quite extensively. He was effective on the first 2 times but not effective after that, to my partner. He didn't tried on me tho

    Key negative of this shot is it is difficult to send the shuttle deep, because it is a partial slice. In double, u r asking for trouble. If that shot is made to be a deceptive reverse drive, it is effective in double

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    pakistan
    Posts
    145
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    i push my arm perpendicularly when im abt to smash. i do it near the net when the opponent is anticipating a smash and his body weight is going back

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    70
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    heres a whole lot of trick shots hehehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8IFeLHz-eQ

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Trinidad & Tobago / Calgary
    Posts
    1,579
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Here are two videos of trickshots, some are pretty good actually and some are more so just amazing or cool shots the were pulled off more so than tricks. Theres doubles and singles in there as well as a few mixed and you can see how effective some of them can really be.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDwkcurD3o8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMr2V5Ge22Y

  15. #15
    Regular Member jhirata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand, New Z
    Posts
    2,488
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KazeCloud View Post
    You showed me that haha. Do you think we can hold a forehand drop then hit it to the right? I'll call it. KazeCloud's Deceptive Net Shot. Created June 1, 2008.
    Oh.. my friends taught me how to do that. The cool thing about your shot is that it would tumble, right ? Haha it's quite effective when you want to set up a netkill or something. Koo Kien Keat has been seen using a similar trick to this before, except his version is: Hold, pretend to do a crosscourt net from right to left, then hold again and flick it to the right with his forehand. That looked so 'awesome'.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    WWAAO
    Posts
    2,146
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jhirata View Post
    Oh.. my friends taught me how to do that. The cool thing about your shot is that it would tumble, right ? Haha it's quite effective when you want to set up a netkill or something. Koo Kien Keat has been seen using a similar trick to this before, except his version is: Hold, pretend to do a crosscourt net from right to left, then hold again and flick it to the right with his forehand. That looked so 'awesome'.
    have you seen a video of it online?

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    70
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smash_master View Post
    Here are two videos of trickshots, some are pretty good actually and some are more so just amazing or cool shots the were pulled off more so than tricks. Theres doubles and singles in there as well as a few mixed and you can see how effective some of them can really be.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDwkcurD3o8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMr2V5Ge22Y
    nice music hehe

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Trick Shots/Deceptive Shots Difference and ethics
    By rmnature in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 6
    : 10-28-2011, 12:17 PM
  2. How do you do deceptive shots?
    By hello3 in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 20
    : 07-07-2011, 06:57 AM
  3. deceptive shots
    By dontmakeme in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 24
    : 03-11-2011, 03:14 AM
  4. Amazing trick/deceptive shots
    By Adone in forum General Forum
    Replies: 14
    : 03-17-2010, 08:57 AM
  5. do professionals use deceptive shots?
    By WhiteRice94 in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 11
    : 02-25-2009, 10:54 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •