hitting the sweet spot consistently

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by andrew chan, Jun 1, 2008.

1. andrew chan

andrew chan Regular Member

hi all, I've been playing a lot lately, and it seems that my shots are all around the sweet spot, but its never directly on the sweet spot, *i know when i hit the sweet spot because it'll have a more solid sound* so i was wondering if there are some exercises i can do to find the sweet spot and hit it more consistently. I can tell I'm close, because theres the bang, but its not a solid bang like when i hit the sweet spot dead on

2. CHOcobo

CHOcobo Regular Member

pay off school
    the more you practice smashing the easier it'll get for you. formation is also important. using your wrist is also the key.

3. andrew chan

the swing feels the same everytime i play a smash, but the resultant sound is either bang or a semi bang, and when the semi bang occurs, it seems the smash is more returned more often, leading me to believe that i have to find a way to consistently hit the sweet spot so i can have a large bang, and have a less easily returned smash

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Every time you do a good smash, take a moment to remember how that one felt, and what you did. Then try to reproduce it.

This works much better in practice than in games, of course...;)

5. h4n5ip

h4n5ip Regular Member

One word to say.
    PRACTICE
    If you have correct technique and lots of practice the bang sound will come more often than your semi bang.

6. andrew chan

lol, guess i need more practice, but it the swing feels the same, but the impact is a lot different, guess i should tape myself if i have time.

7. CHOcobo

CHOcobo Regular Member

pay off school
    lol don't waste your time taping. your hand movement will be too fast to watch. spend those watching time practicing instead. practice practice practice. try new things as well.

8. andrew chan

arite, thanks, is there another way except only judging by feel?

9. CHOcobo

CHOcobo Regular Member

pay off school
    im trying to learn this too as well. right now i'm just trying to consistantly use my body weight to help smash. like turning my hip, using my elbow and arms and my wrist while smashing. it's pretty hard times. especially when i can only do this at home.

10. andrew chan

well its not only the smash im concerned about, when i clear and i hear that really solid sound, i feel the pressure on my opponent increase simply because the shot travels that much faster, and i would like to be able to do this consistently, so i can win more xD.

11. yinsoon

yinsoon Regular Member

student
    i agree that practising is vital. some things to look out for when you are practising might be how your wrist is cocked, the position of your body - especially where you shoulder is, how far back it is, and how high it is raised - and the timing of your shots. (these are just some that work for me)

for myself, i know if i have my last two fingers firmly round the end of my grip, wrist cocked back, shoulder on an angle back and my back upright, and time my shot, i know i'd get a good smash/clear in. that said, i'm not aware of all the things at the time, but its just a collective observation over time - like gollum said about taking a moment and remembering how it felt -

Having worked out some of the stuff above, am ussually able to pinpoint whether i've missed one of those points, e.g. if i was taking a flick serve, my fingers wont be in position; if i am exhausted my back isnt straight up and is bent; or if the timing is off, then i wont be able to execute it properly.

In a game situation you would be in all kinds of positions, so there would be lots of observing to do as there would be different things to look out for if you were trying to do an overhead smash, or a forehand smash where your hand has to extend outwards etc.

hope this helps *cheers*

12. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Just hitting the sweetspot is not good enough. The timing and appropriate power delivery must be part of it. Wrong timing + hitting the sweetspot gets you nowhere.

13. andrew chan

thanks for the helpful advice guys, will do. I guess i have to watch how i hit more, any drills to help with timing/power delivery?

14. CHOcobo

CHOcobo Regular Member

pay off school
    oh yea forgot one more thing. always try to hit the bird when it's in front of you, not above you. so hit it at the 11 O'clock mark from your body. this way you get more power.

15. yinsoon

yinsoon Regular Member

student
    If you have a high flat wall, you might be able to try hitting a shuttle against it using clears (as opposed to underhand shots which are much easier). U'll prolly want to hit it at a slightly upward angle. Tho it might not help with 'smashing' per se, it will certainly speed up the rate your shoulder rotates/racket recovers in time for the next shot. The faster you are able to 'reset' your start position the more than you chance in actual game scenario to play the shot properly as are less likely to be caught halfway recovering from a previous shot.

U'd have to expend quite abit of energy methinks. Anyone else tried this?
    I always have a problem finding nice high flat walls lol...

Hope this helps ^^

16. andrew chan

lol, i live in toronto, so i could always hit the CN Tower xD, but wouldn't ur neck hurt from having to look up so much?

17. BlankShot

BlankShot Regular Member

Unfortunately, the CN Tower at the base is slanted, so it wouldn't be very efficient to hit it up against it. As well, as the area is surrounded by tall buildings, you'll have random gusts of wind steal your birds away from you. And yes, it will hurt your neck.

:p

18. yinsoon

yinsoon Regular Member

student
    Haha.. shld have specified - "a nice high flat wall which is perpendicular to the ground lol..." ^^

I've never tried hitting on on a slanted one lol, maybe it would yield uber results :p

19. andrew chan

hahaha, my friend works inside the CN Tower, so i could always go in xD

20. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Regular Member

To hit the sweet spot more effectively there are a few essential things and a few alternatives.
    Essentials to hitting the sweet spot:
    1. Look at the shuttle as you hit it, simple advice yes but you'll find it easier if you look at the bird constantly when you hit it and watch your opponent with your peripheral vision.
    2. Swing at the appropiate time so that you contact the bird at an appropiate height making your hits more consistent and easier in opposition to hitting close to the body.
    3. Use the appropiate hits at the appropiate time. As an example: Don't smash when the bird is lower then you're rackets length above you're head.
    It might seem like a silly idea to figure out which hits to use when it's easier and play that way rather then simply doing whatever hit seems right but yields better results when attempting to hit it directly on the sweet spot. Of course if you can only do straight hits even if you are hitting the sweet spot you'll be a weak player so do variations between cross courts and straights.

Alternative:
    Increase the general strength of your hits so that if it contacts the sweet spot or not it'll still be an okay hit. I would not do this if I were you as it isn't as effective as hitting the sweet spot in a few ways. First it overstrains your muscles when smashing repeatedly is necessary and you have to kill every shot just get an okay shot in. Second this yields an unpredictable and often inaccurate hit which will often not go over the net on a drop shot and go out when near the line limiting your hits to center court. Third it's simply a far stronger and more accurate hit when you hit it with the sweet spot. Period.