Overhead Shot Back Swing Technique

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by KazeCloud, Jun 1, 2008.

1. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    I have to clear this up once and for all. I am very frustrated in understanding the overhead shot's back swing. I am asking about how much my racket should cross around my head. Usually right now it seems like I'm moving my racket straight back and then swing forward, then when I turn it automatically crosses just a bit. But then when I compare this to the pros, I see that their back swing crosses to the other side of their head far more than I do.

Then! When I try to reach over to the otherside of hit forward, I find it hard to do the supination to pronate. Its a little hard to understand I know.

If you don't understand please allow me to explain more, I am extremely frustrated with this question and performing the correct technique.

2. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    Don't want to double post but uh. Can you guys at least say you don't get it? So I will post a video. x_X

3. Phuong

Phuong Regular Member

maybe a clip of u doing a overhead shot's back swing would help.

4. saifii

saifii Regular Member

yeah it would (extra words)

5. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Hmmm...

Yes, I am a little confused about your question. :(

It might be that you need to focus on bringing your elbow up and forwards early in your forwards swing: lead with your elbow. If you're skipping this step, then you will get less arm rotation and the racket will not drop behind your head/back as much.

6. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    Sorry for the long wait. But I finally did a video about the swing.

Heres me swinging normally in slow motion. I pull back and then forward:

http://www.imeem.com/people/UymXifg/video/8zr_3GT-/jackie_cheng_my_overhead_swing_sports_video/

Heres what I see professionals do; the racket goes towards my left during the backswing, making it hard to go back to the right to swing forward.

http://www.imeem.com/people/UymXifg...verhead_more_aroundthehead_swing_sports_vide/

As I looked at myself on camera, my first swing already looks like it goes a bit to the left, but my whole metality is just to pull back and swing forward. Definitely not as exagerated as my second one. Please explain anything wrong about my technique. I also noticed my arm and body is not making a full 90 degree angle, should I lift it higher?

7. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Your contact point looks very low, although that could be because you're trying to avoid hitting the ceiling. ;) Ideally, you should reach upwards to hit the shuttle at full relaxed reach (not a completely straight arm, but more straight than bent).

Also your left arm is low. The left shoulder/elbow should be slightly higher than the right.

8. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    Okay. I understand that. My ceiling is pretty high so that wasn't the problem. I was actually trying to imitate a smash. What about my going to the left problem? The second one is awkward right?

9. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Where are you aiming for? In both those videos, it looks to me as though you're aiming to the left, for that picture on the wall.

In your mind, where was your target?

10. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    I'm aiming in my mind forward to produce a smash directly in front of me. The difference between the two is when my racket pulls back. On the first one just pulls back and then forward, while the second one has more of a around the head feel before finally swinging. Do you see that? I'm really frustrated in figuring out which one is correct.

11. jerby

jerby Regular Member

the second one looks awkward...

Though if you're planning on a reverse crossdrop form your around the head, I can imagine that's what it would look like.

In the first, is it me, or do you 'hit the birdie' very much to the right (not above your shoulder, but even to the right of your right shoulder)

Gollum,
    I think I see a white tape spanning across the room, acting as a net? so I doubt he's aiming at the picture...

12. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    Oh I just use the net to play indoors. Sorry for the confusion, but I am standing there in general. So the surroundings have nothing to do with where I'm hitting. I'm just hitting straight.

I think your right Jerby. So to perform a straight clear or smash, there shouldn't be so much movements towards the left?

I find it much easier to do the second swing if my racket doesn't get close to my body at the end of my back swing. Usually a professional player has his racket perpendicular to his back and is extremely close too right? Doing that with my second swing is very awkward, while the first is easy.

13. IBaddersI

IBaddersI Regular Member

School
    Have you seen the BADMINTON England Techniques DVD. I know Gollum won't approve but if you haven't got it there are some links to clips on this forum. The DVD is really good and it show how to perform the back swing.
    • Your back foot should be parallel to the back of the court (If your aiming for the center of the TV you need to move your right foot so that its parallel with the TV).
    • Create a V shape with your right arm (yours looks like an L).
    • Lift your Left arm up more so that it in a line with your right, but with the left higher than the right.
    • Your left arm should not remain in the same shape as when you start the shot. Bring your left arm down before the right arm.
    • Maybe more pronation.
    Hope I am correct and this helps.

#13 IBaddersI, Jun 11, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  14. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    I'm watching the overhead clear of those videos right now. I notice that his swing quickly goes to the left of his head, and doesn't go too close to the back.

Heres a picture from Badminton England Techniques Dvd Forehand Clears:

[​IMG]

Notice how much the racket is over his head in the beginning of this swing. While mine goes directly to the back.

#14 KazeCloud, Jun 11, 2008
  15. IBaddersI

IBaddersI Regular Member

School
    I think the reason this happens is because you play too front on (facing forwards) when you should play more side on.

16. martin8768

martin8768 New Member

sudent
    well in physics big circles equal more power, and swinging the racket behind the other shoulder and down creates more racket head speed so i would try correcting that, try swinging infront of a mirror a bunch of times then get a friend and if he knows what he is doing he can give feedback, if not explain and show him what it should look like then practice it a lot
    good luck

17. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

*sigh*

I need a point of reference. Hitting straight? Is that straight towards the television? Towards the door?

If you reach up higher, then you will find it more natural to have a straighter arm swing, as opposed to the cross-court arm swing you appear to be using.

The follow-through should be initially in line with the shot, before allowing the arm to relax across the body.

18. Phuong

Phuong Regular Member

Try to watch the vid again from 1:32 to 1:53, then compare it with ur vids. Can u see the different from preparing to hit the shot to finishing??

#18 Phuong, Jun 11, 2008
  19. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    #19 KazeCloud, Jun 11, 2008
  20. Phuong

Phuong Regular Member

actually, they're both not correct:p(in ur vid of course). in the pro's vid he makes good use of his shoulders power to produce a lot more power in his shots. Ur on the other hand, don't use ur shoulder at all. If u watch it carefully u'll see that when the pro preparing to his the shot his left shoulder goes upward and his right shoulder goes downward making it look like this /. then he pushs his left shoulder downward and push his right shoulder upward in circular movement(kinda like when u paddle a boat) making it easier for his arm to go straight up 90 degree with lot of power. In ur vid when u preparing to hit the shot ur shoulders prefectly equal -- making it harder for u to make ur arm goes 90 degree. Notice that when u swing ur arm alway out to the side like this o_| instead of this o/ ( the o is ur head :p). Hope this help