KOREA should be more humble

Discussion in 'Thomas/Uber Cup 2002' started by wl2172, May 9, 2002.

1. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Before the match, the Koreans were acting as if they were already in the semi finals. I had always thought of Ha Tae Kwon to be a jovial, happy go lucky guy. But recently he issued a statement saying that him and Dong Moon are the world's best, and Korea has the worlds strongest team. Perhaps he should have been more humble and proved to people with actions instead of words. Let this be a lesson to people who has not learnt to be humble. The great Park Joo Bong would never have said anything like that.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    wl2172,

yes. i felt the same when i read it too.

a few weeks ago, the Korean team was much more humble, they said their goal was to get to the semi finals. however, after they got to GZ, their attitude made an above turn, now they are saying that they are the strongest team. comments like these from the korean team was reported in the media:

"after seeing all the other teams, we think our players are the best."

"if we don't get the cup this time, i don't when we will need to wait."

perhaps the defeat by the Dane will quiet them up a little bit.

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    further thoughts on it.

historically, the Koreans has always been more humble, quiet and tactful in what they say and do. they never try to boast about their strength. it was actually a surprise for them to say that, and then to lose the tie afterwards.

does that arouse any suspicion? perhaps the lost was deliberate? may be they think they have the ability to beat China and then get to the number 2 spot in the semi final? but that doesn't make sense as China may beat Denmark and create a 3 way tie, and then the outcome will be much more unpredictable since all games and points counts.

furthermore, Indonesia will likely to be number 1 in their group. does the Korean really want to face Indonesia? Indonesia has strong doubles and singles, the Koreans will have less chance against them than against Malaysia.

it is hard to tell at this point whether it was a genuine loss or not. it is very difficult to read the mind of the Korean coaches, as always....

4. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Hi Kwun,

First and foremost, let me thank you and the others for this wonderful forum. I am a great badminton fan from Malaysia but currently residing in the UK, that's why this forum is the only place for me to really meet badminton enthusiast.

I agree with you that the Koreans have always been a humble lot before. It is indeed surprising that they issue this sort of statement this time. I don't know if it is part of their strategy to loose on purpose or not. However, if it is true, it is indeed a very strange and risky strategy.

The logical thing would be to go all out against Denmark, win it, and ensure a semi finals berth. They now have their backs against the wall, and have no choice but to beat Sweden convincingly and edge China. However, again, don't forget that China can "choose" who to meet in the semis, as the other group's 1st and 2nd would have been decided before their final match. If Denmark had won genuinely, then China also beware!!! Imagine how strong Denmark would have been with Peter Gade!!!

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    wl2172, glad to see you here, hope we will see more of you! :)

i agree with you though. that the best strategy would be to win against both Denmark and China. and hopefully they will face the weaker one on the other side.

however, i don't think China has too much of a choice, unless if Malaysia beats Indonesia. then China may "choose" to lose and play against Malaysia on the semi. from the look of it, that is a lower probability that Malaysia would win.

with their strong singles players, China will have a easier time against the Dane than Korea. Xia has a good chance against Kenneth, as for the other two, we don't know. i don't think Chen Hong has ever played against Rasmussen.

as for PeterG, I so agree with you. with PeterG in the mix, Denmark will be very dangerous indeed!

6. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    Perhaps the reason they made the announcement was to psyche the opposition out.

This does however conflict with losing to Denmark.

So either they tried to psyche the opposition out and failed or they were just being plain arrogant.

Either way the two incidents seem to conflict.

UKP

7. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

in T Cup experience counts ! In 7 point system

anybody can Win !

Sidetrack a bit, opening cerempny had Lee Fu Rong
    openoing the tour and then Li Yong Bo back to his old
    Karake self singing a duet with a lady backed by schoolgirls dancing with Yonex racquets.

8. nauknip

nauknip Regular Member

Haha, I thought the opening ceremony looked quite amusing. But at least the organisers put in some effort to make it a big thing. As for Li YB's singing... Hmm.

Yes it was a shock. If the Koreans were being just plain arrogant, then that's probably the price they had to pay for the statements they made. So much for being the favourites this time round. China must be laughing now.

9. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Come on

I must say that it is rather amusing that you find it so unbelievable that Denmark would win over Korea that you have to fabricate "strategic explanations" to why it happened...

Think what you want. I have my opinion clear, and that is that Denmark exceeded all (even their own) expectations, and the Koreans failed miserably. On the other hand, the only truly unexpected result is that Jonassen won. The other results are not that strange: Rasmussen showed that he is back on the right track in the European Championships, and Paaske (albeit then with Lundgaard-Hansen) has beaten Lee/Yoo before... And Ha/Kim had a close call with three match points against them!

The Danes certainly have a chance against China. Their doubles are obviously in shape, and if Peter Rasmussen find that old magic... who knows?

:)

Anyway, it sure is an exciting group.

10. Johnny

Johnny Regular Member

Programmer
    My thoughts excactly Mag.

Just because Gade isn't fit for fight dosen't mean that Denmark is without a chance in this competition.
    Rasmussen proved at the european championships that he is back among the best and I'm looking forward to seeing him perfom against other top players in this event.

Time to kick ass! :p

11. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

I would say that If rasmussen could produce his old magic then they really have a chance. It is nice to know that Korea had to eat its own words. I think There is a very good chance of Denmark actually pulling the rug from under the feet of the other dominant sides in the comp.

I dont think that Korea would throw a tie in its first match of the comp. It is always better to have a win in ur bag, even though they might mastermind it beautifully sometimes it might backfire.

Let us see. IMO,It is more a battle of minds than rackets at the moment.

12. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Sorry for misquoting.

I would like to apologise for any notions about Denmark winning because of Korean playing under par on purpose. That was not mine or kwun's intention in the first place, and I would like to dispel this notion now. Denmark won because they were just better, plain and simple. The Koreans had an overblown ego, and they paid their price. I am glad that Denmark have proven once again that they are the equal of the main badminton nations, and they deserved to be ranked together right up there alongside the best. However, I still wished PeterG was here, I enjoy watching him not only for his skills, but also for his personality. I remember him coming over to console Choong Hann immediately after beating him in 3 gruelling sets (in Brunei I think), and that really touched me. Not many players will do that. He has a humility side to him that is lacking in many players nowadays, not only for badminton, but other sports as well.

13. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

True! Very few sports are gentleman's game any more. It is alwasy nice to see such things happening at every sport and at every level.

I still remeber the day when Agassi did not shake hands with Becker at the US open.For all reasons i still think that Becker brought abt something that made Wimbeldon more interesting. How many plp actively follow the grandslams now. I stopped after the departure of good serve and volley players. Agassi by any stretch of imagination has not contributed to The sport in such a manner.The worst is Most plp would agree that becker was a better player.

There is nothing wrong being a agressive player at any sport with amazing killer instinct but when u finish ur game u shoudl return to the level of human and not try to stay at the superhuman level u play the sport at! I guess humility and humbleness is learnt only by defeats in life.