Fixed clamps?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by mishiranu, Jun 3, 2008.

1. mishiranu

mishiranu Regular Member

Student
    Hey I have no stringing experience but I would like to start learning, though I have watched the video DinkAlot posted on youtube and watched my friend string a racket before but he doesn't do a good job so I won't ask him for advice :rolleyes:. I wanted to start stringing and I was looking to purchase this machine

http://www.mybadmintonstore.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=25_62&products_id=337

But it does not have fixed clamps. Would I be able to compensate with 4 flying clamps then? Or fixed clamps are a must?

Also, if it doesn't have fixed clamps, does that mean I should pre-string and stretch as I've read and watched the video here on the forums? Or is there another technique that should be used? sorry if this has been posted before, but I couldn't find any posts that answered my questions >.<

answers, suggestions and comments are appreciated! :D

Thanks!

2. 撻_Q_desu_ga?

撻_Q_desu_ga? Regular Member

I have not personally used a portable machine but have seen my friend using one before. It's actually an Exthree machine, but looks exactly the same as the one in mybadmintonstore. I guess they are probably the same.

One drawback with portable machines is that they lack the 2 swivel clamps, so you need to use more fly clamps to compensate for this, otherwise tension loss could be significant. Pre-stringing and stretching are the right things to do because it would be hard to maintain tension simply by fly clamps if there were no string bed (ie. if no pre-stringing were done).

Do a seach and there are threads giving advice on how many fly clamps to use, what clamps to use on mains and what to use on crosses.

3. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    I guess, the eagnas machines look sturdier.

4. Alexccs

Alexccs Regular Member

Stringer ES8protech
    It is one of the best portable crank machine you can find on the market. It's fast (faster then fix clamp, you'll prefer fly clamp with badminton racket) and precise. And well made.
    Only con: light weight. (It's good for portable , but some time the machine move on the table when cranking too fast)
    Recommendation: Order with 4 extra fly clamp. and some gromments (you'll going to need it, for precision stringing and for back up, will save you on shipping too) DO NOT order that Eagnas Tension Caliber.
    I have this machine for many years. And two for my friends has too. All work right out of the box.
    I had stringing up to 32 lbs. with this machine as some of my friends requested.

For reference: I did use and had Eagnas machine: Flex760, ST-250 and Plus 8000 before. They are drop weight, crank and electronic machine.

#4 Alexccs, Jun 6, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2008