Strings Moving?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Marshmallow64, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Marshmallow64

Marshmallow64 Regular Member

I have a racket strung at 24 pounds, and after just a month the strings move around after every play. The form a huge gap so I have to move the strings back into place. The tension is still fine which is what puzzles me, but I am wondering what is causing this. Bad stringing?

I have never had this problem before, either the string would lose too much tension, or the strings break.

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Usually, strings do moving around when it's freshly done, as the coat is rather slippery. After some usage, the strings should cut in due to the friction, and it should move less. However, if the string lose tension (which is also normal), it can start to move again, as now there's less force (friction) to prevent its moving.

Usually, using slippery string (ti) and/or lower tension tend to see more movement. Also, your own stroke can be a determine factor, such as if you slice a lot.

3. Marshmallow64

Marshmallow64 Regular Member

Ah ic I do tend to slice a lot, that is probably the reason. I am using bg 80. Thank you very much for the advice.

4. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    The strings will move less when they break into each other. Slicing is the main cause of string movement.

5. sifuyono

sifuyono Regular Member

Follow me on Twitter: @sifuyono
    good quality of string tend to move
    the only string that didnt move is poor quality string

6. vatovey

vatovey Regular Member

IT Technician / Badminton Stringer
    Cheap string doesn't move

As per Sifuyono's post, the only string which generally doesn't move is cheap stuff, the more expensive string will always most to some extent.

Taken from TAG Sports website (http://www.tagsports.co.uk/restring-facts.htm)

String movement is another common area of concern; strings do not need to be straight to offer maximum performance.

The only strings that do not move are cheap, standard nylon (monofilament) strings. These are prevented from moving by 'notching' into each other.

Multifilament strings and natural gut do not notch and will always move. This is a good sign and will never affect the flight of the shuttle.

7. eddiemon

eddiemon Regular Member

I have a similar problem too. I bought my Yonex racket one year ago. Now when I play it the top string keeps moving. I always have to adjust it to line up parallell again. In one spot, it looks like it is about to crack. The factory string is BG65 but I want to string it to BG80 at 22lbs. Should I play till it cracks itself or just string it? I am not a professional, I am a beginner-mid level. And the strings are also starting to lose control whenever I try to use net shots.

8. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    Just cut the string but i am not sure if the tension is right for you because each person varies