Stringing

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Byro-Nenium, Jan 10, 2001.

1. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    I remember someone mensioning that their racket was strung with 2 different kinds of strings on the cross and main. I took Magnus's advice (Thanx Magnus it worked) and cut the strings of my racket with the bent frame. I realised that the string has been tied together at certain places. Not in the actual hitting surface but on the outside part of the frame. The string was the same Ashaway Microlegend string but somehow i think from different reels.

Will this affect anything at all? The game? The racket?

Thanx for all replies

2. Zclyh3

Zclyh3 Regular Member

Not employed during academic school yeah
    Yeah, it was me with the two different strings on my MP100 Byro-Nenium. I intend never to deal with San Diego Badminton Supply again. It was 70 Pro main and 65 Ti cross.

3. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
    Did you try playing with the 2 types of string. Because i just cut the strings of my Winex AD-200 and found the strings tied together. I'm wondering if my Fleet Ti-99 has the strings done the same way too......

4. Nathan

Nathan Guest

Byro - if your strings were knotted on the outside of the frame, shoot the stringer! Knots should always be on the inside :))

With racket sports, there are basically two reasons to use 2 string. [1] Balancing tension. Consider a tear-drop shaped squash racket with mains much longer than the crosses. For a given pressure on the strings, if both are strung at the same tension, then the amount that the string deforms into the racket (i.e. sags under the impact of the ball) will be more for the mains than the crosses. Therefore, by increasing the tension of the mains 1.5-2.5lbs will make the deflection of the string bed more even. [2] Use strings of different material. Invariably it is the mains that fail/snap. So tennis/squash players who are chronic string breakers will often use a kevlar (much stronger) for the mains so that the strings last longer. That said, when they do snap it is not worth changing just the cross/mains that broke since the tension of the other will have changed and you just end of with a badly tensioned racket and indeed the shape of the head will be distorted.

With badminton, different tensions for cross and main are not often used. Yonex does however recommend that all its rackets are strung as 2-piece and for some actually advocates different tensions. But, since the badminton head is close to circular, there is seldom any benefit (perceived or otherwise) from varying the tension in the strings. More crucially, you should vary the tension that you have your racket strung to find the one that suits you and your style of play.

5. Byro-Nenium

Undergrad
    Knots should always be on the inside? What do you mean by that? On the actual hitting surface? Sorry if i'm making this sound stupid but i'm confused....

6. Nathan

Nathan Guest

Perhaps I've mis-read your original description. This is what I mean. To tie a knot for the last main string, the string will be threaded out of the racket head at the 12th grommet counted up from the throat, i.e. where the racket head meets the shaft. It is the pulled to the correct tension and clamped (with the clamp set within the head). It is then threaded back into the head through a shared hole (i.e. one already used by a main) at for example the 7th grommet from the 'T'. A double hitch is then tied around the 7th main string. So the not is actually tied around that portion of the string the lies within the actually head. The knot is not tied on the playing surface (sorry if that was unclear) - it is always tied on a single string ... there should never be more than 2 strings fed through any one grommet hole.

7. Zclyh3

Zclyh3 Regular Member

Not employed during academic school yeah
    Yeah, I tried playing with my MP100 with two strings. Let's just say I always kept on hitting it out and I didn't have control on where I was going to hit it.

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    bad boy, nathan. Some of the things you said is not approved by yonex. But, hey, i'm not a certified yonex stringer. So goes for all those people who strings for the pro badminton players :p

9. Nathan

Nathan Guest

What's not approved? Don't keep it to yourself cooler-boy, tell all ...

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i'll try to response later. It's 2:35 am here and i need some shut eye before work in a few hours.