At700 Vs At900p

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by ahmeh, Jun 6, 2008.

1. ahmeh

ahmeh Regular Member

student
    armotec 700 and armotec 900P got wat different ...n which wan is nicer or more likely to use.....cos ...based on price n series definitely 900P is more expensive n newer than 700 but still there is still many people using 700?

even world #1 Lin Dan is using AT700 BUT world #2 LCW is using AT900P.

could anyone explain wat is the different n spec of the racket here?
    wat is the additional technology in the AT900P?

2. SpendorK

SpendorK Regular Member

3. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    At-700 is much more head heavier, allowing it to generate power easier and with less effort. But it comes along with the disadvantages of head heaviness.

At-900P requires more effort because its not as head heavy, but that doesn't mean the racket has less power than the At-700, it just requires more effort. You can say, you need more skills to use it. And it comes along with the advantages of being less head heavy.

Does that make sense?

4. Khawai

Khawai Regular Member

sort of. Not really. :p

5. andrew chan

andrew chan Regular Member

700 is head heavier, longer shaft (more flexible) vs. 900P head heavy (not as head heavy as the 700), and longer handle (less flexible, can grip further up, for more control). Personally, I think they feel quite similar, but since i own the 700 I'm more comfortable with it than when I use my doubles partner's 900. However I would suggest the 900P, since it's good for both doubles and singles

Hope that helps

6. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    Head heavy rackets has more weight at the face of the racket. When you have weight there, it is easy to generate power. Its slower to defend with of course, because of the heavy head. At-700 is the head heaviest racket Yonex has to offer.

Not as head heavy rackets have less weight at the face of the racket. When there is less weight there, it is not as easy to generate power. So you must put more effort in swinging it to create that extra power. However, since it is lighter, it is compensated by giving you a faster swing. It will also allow you to have a better defense because of the lighter weight in the head.

Now it might seem that you would want the racket with most power with minimal effort. But if you can generate a little more speed the At-900P, you won't have a disadvantage of less power, while still maintaining better defense. Vice versa, you can practice more defense with At-700. It boils down to skills, and what your choice is.

Does that make sense?

#6 KazeCloud, Jun 6, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2008
  7. SpendorK

SpendorK Regular Member

I prefer the AT900P than my AT700 new version so i sell away AT700. :)

8. persona

persona Regular Member

banker
    choose then one that suit your needs

9. ahmeh

ahmeh Regular Member

student
    thanks for the comment so far? now i m deciding whether to get either one...firstly i m more interested and i would prefer to attack rather than defense....currently i m owning a mp 44 and ti-7light........although both are head light ..but i think mp will be better at attacking....so i think ti7light doesn;t suit me at all...so guys which wan do u recommend me to get? go for 700 or 900P

10. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    The material on the 900P has more advanced tech,for ex"Elastic TI,while the 700 doesn't.700 only have ultimum ti on the shaft,the older tech that is also applied on the MP series.

Like they said,more advanced/modern tech is more expensive than the ones that has older tech.

700 itself is a head heavy,the head heaviest amongst all the current yonex rackets.Can reach up to 305mm.Controlling with it would be harder compared to the head lighter.The new colour 700's shaft is flexier than the old colour.It was made for pure energetic,filled with power n seeking for more power on the racket.All offensive.So..if u r required to have a big power to show this racket's real face.Otherwise,it'll be a waste.

900P is more of an all round racket.Balance is only around 290-300mm.Its shaft is stiffer than the new colour 700.So,u basically get a decent power from the racket,plus a decent control while playing with the 900P.

Btw,about LD,no 1 using 700 n BCL,no 2 using 900P..it's all basically personal preferrence.All that we know that LD is a power player.He seek for more head heavy.We can see that by the way he added something on top of his frame,n only wrap a half of his grip.So,LD definitely need something that's so head heavy to play his game.So his choice would be 700.
    While BCL plays all round.Good defense,good power..so,he needs something that's more all round without losing the power while attacking.900P is the answer.So,there's no such thing as 700 is the best racket,since LD,the number 1 in the world is using it,and 900P is the 2nd best racket,since it's only being used by the no2 in the world ,n if suddenly LD,the NO 1, switched to 900P,does that mean that 900P is the best racket?.Would u be able to play as well as him if u r given 700 if u're simply a defensive player?:confused::rolleyes:

11. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

I have an Mp40 3UG5( this is the jp version of mp44 ) and also an AT700 3UG4.
    Their balance points are only 1cm apart: 30.5cm : 31.5cm, because I took the ballast out of the handle of the MP40 and i also taped the frame.

When it comes to defending, yes, the MP40 is better than the AT700, but it is not a great deal of difference. However, the AT700's smashing/clearing power is uncomparable. Clears are literally 'effortless'. And oh, the full-smashes are truely rewarding..

I haven't tried the AT900P yet, but I hear that they are similar racquets..
    And as Schmichz said, there is no such thing as the 'best' racquet or whatever. It's all up to personal preference.. chose the one which you feel comfortable to play with.

12. ahmeh

ahmeh Regular Member

student
    well honestly i really prefer smashing but i scared i can't handle the racquet well... well jirhata n schmichz can u pks guide guide which wan should i get....

13. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

If you have the chance to "demo"/Test out both racquets, then do it..
    You should demo it, then pick the one you find more comfortable to play with.
    It's all up to you and your personal preference.

14. andrew chan

andrew chan Regular Member

nobody can pick ur racket for u, its up to u to make ur own choice, we just laid out the pros and cons of each racket for u

15. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    What's ur current level?What kind of game do u play?Defense?Offense?All smashing?..tell us more..

16. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    You sound like a beginner. I think you would be better off with a Mp-45, than an At-700 or At-900P/T.

I have a Mp-45.

Honestly. I have used a Ti-3 3UG4, Ti-10 old 3UG5, and a Mp-45 3UG4. I play the same with all of them, except it only feels different playing with them, but they produce the same results. I'm varsity #2 singles.

Racket is pure minimal to me. Skills, footwork, and finesse is everything. =]

17. ahmeh

ahmeh Regular Member

student
    thanks for the info.....i m currently owning a mp44 and ti-7 light...then mp44 is okie for me but i wish to have another racquet than ti-7 is a present from my frd n i think it doesn;t suit me at all....

i m a double player...then i wold prefer smashing/ offense more than playing def..so??

18. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

I've got an MP40 ( JP equivalent to the MP44 ) and also an AT700 JP.
    I'll have to say, these two racquets are very different. The MP40 is quite maneuverable, but it lacks power. The AT700 however, hits bombs.

But using these two racquets doesn't change my game much. The AT700 hits bombs and the MP40 allows me to hit very steep smashes because of its 'head-light balance'. ( The BP of my MP40 is 30.5cm after modifications )

It's the strings which makes the bigger difference. My MP40 is currently strung with Ashaway MicroPower XL 0.73mm ( tension dropped from 24 to around 18 ), while my AT700 is strung with <prototype strings> 0.66mm ( 27lbs ). There's a huge difference in power and control, compared to the MP40 with crap strings.. the newly restrung AT700 doesn't hit bombs, it hits nuclear bombs precisely!

So.. it might be a good idea for you to just get your racquet restrung at a higher tension with thinner strings.. try BG66 at 24-26lbs.

But as KazeCloud said: "Skills ( techniques, tactics, etc ), footwork, and fitess is everything. =]" But let me add to this.. * if you want to somehow improve your play by upgrading your equipment, upgrade your strings first *. If the new strings don't satisfy you, then go for it, buy an at700 or an at900p.

Edit: Sorry, I just read another one of your posts and found out that you strung your ti7 with bg66 at 26lbs..

#18 jhirata, Jun 8, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  19. sifuyono

sifuyono Regular Member

Follow me on Twitter: @sifuyono
    i think what you meant is LCW not BCL
    but yeahh i agree at-700 hit bomb easily... and get bombed easily too

20. Leoximus

Leoximus Regular Member

Sales n marketing manager
    I own both rackets.. The old AT700(3ug4) and AT900P(4ug5).. my assessment are:

AT700: great for smashing as it feels better, more umph.. but after a few games it really hurts your arm.

AT900P: more accurate smashes.. better control but not as powerful..

since my at700 is 3U so it's heavier than the at900p.. this probabaly contribute to the arm hurting.. i usually start play with the at700 than when i'm tired, i use the at900p which is more forgiving..

if u can get the at700 3u then go for it.. if it's 4u then better go for the at900p.. or u could even go for the ti-10 which is probably better for doubles player as it is less head heavy and much more forgiving than the at700 by which i mean u can be less precise and still get result..