User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WingsAir View Post
    There are three stages generally to a badminton players footwork; the first is where he knows nothing and it is really easy if he plays often to twist his ankle in the wrong way or damage his hips, rip his hamstrings etc. There is no obvious damage to his shoes so he feels okay. Once the footwork becomes more professional, we tend to use our non-dominant foot to scrape along the ground, and this is where we get the distinctive hole. Professionals have this issue corrected because they learn to slide with their non-dominant foot rotated a little more so the rubber section closest to the sole of the shoe (the corner of the shoe so to speak) is sliding on the ground. Have you ever noticed on most Yonex models the rubber extends upwards on the inside of both soles? That's because that's where professionals put their weight during their movements. Why isn't it so easy for most players to correct? because putting your weight on a smaller, more narrow section means a better sense of balance which the body isn't use to. So conclusion : You could patch up the 100+ shoes for a while, or you could learn to do the motion correctly, and save for the rest of your life
    Interesting input! I guess it's a good thing then that my shoe tend to wear down faster around the sole nowadays compared to before (hence the big hole on my old shoe).
    However, looking at pictures of players, they do use the whole side of their shoe though...
    Last edited by Wingu; 11-26-2012 at 08:58 AM.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wingsair - sounds like rubbish to me. This 'correction' you speak of doesnt help balance - in fact it hinders it. So what, exactly, does the professional player gaiin from this 'correction'??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

amleto - that's the thing, the correction hinders balance, which makes the player faster as the body tends to be in motion longer - think of it like modern fighter jets, are built purposely un-airworthy so that they have better maneuverability. The players training gives them far stronger calf muscles to deal with the added unbalance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

amleto - that's the thing, the correction hinders balance, which makes the player faster as the body tends to be in motion longer - think of it like modern fighter jets, are built purposely un-airworthy so that they have better maneuverability. The players training gives them far stronger calf muscles to deal with the added unbalance.
    But that doesn't explain why they use the side of their foot, which you can clearly see during games and even better on pictures.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wingu - I've seen a lot of video, and it does appear that way. But with their kind of force scraping along the ground at that angle, they should have noticeable marks at the end of the game - it doesn't look like it, and I don't think they would get new shoes for every single game - AND we're all fanatics and get their shoes *guilty*. The view that I expressed is just what I see the local chinese provincial and national team players exhibit on court - could be wrong.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I assume the pros live in their shoes so change them frequently whereas most are not sponsored or part of the national set up so can't afford to change our shoes as often. I tend to change my shoes once a year or when the soles start to collapse and the uppers have stretched too much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wingu - I've seen a lot of video, and it does appear that way. But with their kind of force scraping along the ground at that angle, they should have noticeable marks at the end of the game - it doesn't look like it, and I don't think they would get new shoes for every single game - AND we're all fanatics and get their shoes *guilty*. The view that I expressed is just what I see the local chinese provincial and national team players exhibit on court - could be wrong.
    I think it's hard to see that much after just a few games. It takes a bit longer than that for the side of the shoe to wear down so much that you would take notice of it.

Name:  Chong+Wei+Lee+Olympics+Day+7+Badminton+7LuvjFv_Ikxl.jpg
Views: 842
Size:  66.8 KB

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wingu - That's a nice pciture of how damage could be done. Nice!~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wingu View Post
    I think it's hard to see that much after just a few games. It takes a bit longer than that for the side of the shoe to wear down so much that you would take notice of it.

Name:  Chong+Wei+Lee+Olympics+Day+7+Badminton+7LuvjFv_Ikxl.jpg
Views: 842
Size:  66.8 KB
    see, its the rubber sole on the inside of the sole (not the side of the shoe which is between the metatarsal and the heel - where the hole is commonly recorded)

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

looks like the leather part and not the rubber to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are pictures from the HK Open on the Facebook where you can actually see Chen Long's shoe and it does show markings on the leather (three different places) from dragging his left feet. I'm not sure I'm allowed to post the picture here since it's not me who's taken it, but if you have Facebook you can see it.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It's normal to get this scuffing and hole here on the non racket shoe. Just part of maintaining balance during a deep lunge. Same as in fencing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've used my shoes for about 6 months and the non-racket shoe has a scuff mark there. Mine are the Yonex WC 58 ones.
    Last edited by sayshh; 11-28-2012 at 06:12 PM. Reason: changed plural to singular

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

32:00

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't get the hole per say but have gotten the front of my shoes ripping off, this has happened to 3 shoes already. All these are the right side shoes.

Name:  WP_001345.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  58.6 KB
    Name:  WP_001355.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  71.7 KB

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ strange ... which shoes are those? ... seems like the glue had failed

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yones SHB 86's, its only happened to the white pairs for me all the orange and gold ones never did that. yeah it looks like its the glue but for it to happen to 3 separate pairs of shoes is a little questionable.

and sorry it should say those are the left side shoes not right side.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast