Armortec 300 review

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by kingmarioxv, Jun 10, 2008.

1. kingmarioxv

kingmarioxv Regular Member

graduate student
    I have done quite a few searches in the forum for a decent review of the Armortec 300 (AT 300) but finding none sufficent I have decided to post my own. :cool:
    You won't find this racquet on the Yonex website, the closest you'll find is the AT 250.

Features according to the Yonex features list that came with the racquet:
    - 3% more stability in the face which minimises distortion and increases control
    - Control Support Cap (CSC): easier gripping
    - Power Armor System: generates more power and the head weighted effect enables a slightly more powerful smash than an ordinary racquet.

I know that there are many versions of Armortec higher than the AT 300 but here in Jamaica, this is one of the highest end racquets we've got (the MP 99 is the other highest). We don't even have anything in the Arc Saber or Nanospeed lines...:mad:

Back to the review - you can see attached pics for more detail.

I have owned this racquet for just over a month and it's quite an improvement on my CAB 10MS.
    This AT 300 has a tension range of 21-24 lbs and feels like it's around 21 at the moment. This is a 4U G4 racquet and like all AT's are head heavy.

The grip has been wrapped with a Wilson Micro Dry Comfort tennis replacement grip. It's a bit squishy as I have NOT removed the original wrap. However I enjoy the feel of it and preference will vary for each user :).

My experience so far... I am an attacking style player so I always want to find ways to generate more power in my smash. Compared to most of the other racquets I've used (medium end) the AT 300 has the best 'pop'. The head heavy balance is always helpful when playing power shots. This racquet is not bad on defence either. Its 4U weight makes it light enough to manoeuvre against smashes and the like. Drops are more precise despite the head heaviness, making it a good all-round racquet.

For those of you who don't have a lot of options in terms of racquets, the Armortec 300 is a good choice for an intermediate player or a beginner who feels ready to upgrade.

Attached Files:

2. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    If you were able to get a string apart from the factory string you will notice a big increase in performance. Too bad yonex has discontinued the AT300 in 2008.

3. kingmarioxv

graduate student
    Really?!

Really? I was wondering how it was so hard to find on yonex sites. Seems like this is a classic case of good filtering through the market late. As I said earlier, this is the only AT here in Jamaica and the best Muscle Power is the MP99. Otherwise players in Jamaica order online or have someone carry in a racquet for them.

I wonder when we'll ever get Nanospeeds and Arc Sabers?:(

BTW: BG-80 string is sold here so I might just buy a pack and restring my AT 300 at around 23 lbs. If so, I'll post another review with the modification

4. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    Just remember to change one thing at a time so that you can see if it fits with your playing style. I think it is best if you want to buy rackets you order them from online because it will most likely be cheaper.

5. andrew chan

andrew chan Regular Member

man that sux, the old AT 300 was my first racket, until i broke it in february...

The racket is pretty good for beginner/intermediate players, and is an easy transition to the higher end armortecs, like the 700 and 900

6. kingmarioxv

graduate student
    String upgrade

Ok, so I finally restrung my racquet in April - moved it from 20 lbs to 24 lbs of tension.

Of course it took some getting used to but I really like the additional power I can generate from it. My main difficulty now is keeping the shuttle in and controlling my net shots. My coach is not a big believer in increased tensions (thinks that 22 lbs is enough), but I think 24 lbs is my sweet spot.

You can see this link http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68773&page=23 for a couple videos of me playing in a match with my AT300 (I'm in the grey shirt and white shorts).

Cheers!

7. krisss

krisss Regular Member

So the Armortec 300 , is a mid flex , slightly head heavy racket?

8. warlock110

warlock110 Regular Member

just slightly, and it does flex, but not as much as some of the apac clones. Other wise decent racket. The huge problem is that its not an offensive OR defensive racket, kindda 1/2 ass. Hard to play when you can't win points by relying on your strengh.

9. canti

canti Regular Member

Student
    I love the amortec 300 I still have the old one :D its oh so blue.

10. dorysan

dorysan Regular Member

:eek:
    In israel we got only Victor rackets.. and no yonex at all (in the store):mad: