Starting questions with drop weight machine.

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by sihker, Jun 11, 2008.

1. sihker

sihker Regular Member

Well, machine is 2 point Trump machine with additional side supports (2). As I was doing my first racquet, several questions arised. I used 1 piece method, from left to right, and from bottom to top. About 20 lbs. 2 flying clamps.
    1st mistake, I tied starting knot and started tightening, until I came to a string, that I tied the starting knot to :D Luckily I was able to untie knot. So I started over, just used flying clamp, that I fastened OUTSIDE racquet frame, as near, as I could.
    I tightened past 7th hole from the left (tieing hole), left the string under tension from drop weight, removed the inner clamp, fastened two leftmost strings and tied the knot to 7th hole.
    When and how do you tie a starting knot? I guess my method loses some tension.
    When tightening the center mains, the drop weight is hindered by shaft, so I skipped 1 or 2 main from the center and did it from the other side. Is it OK?
    Last crosses deform racquet head quite a lot and the fastening point also hinders clamps. Should I go as high as I can(my stringer usually goes to last wide grommet :D), or should I just stop at prospeed reference height (grommet nr. 30)?
    Used this guide - http://www.prospeed.com.my/crosstring.htm

Thank you.

2. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

3. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

remember to begin tensioning the middle mains first, alternating out as you go.

4. sihker

sihker Regular Member

Hm, I use preweave and one piece. That method uses 2 piece. Doesn't one piece mean stringing is done from left to right and from bottom to up? Otherwise tabletop machine is not very comfortable for weaving on the go.

5. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

It wouldn;'t make any difference if one piece or two. You still start stringing the mains from the grommets nearest the shaft, alternating left and right. This ensures you have equal stresses on the frame so it doesn't distort the head shape too much.

A starting knot is only used on the crosses when using 2 piece method.

6. sihker

sihker Regular Member

Regarding knots. My first mistake was, I made a knot with big loops (beginners problem, good to pass string through) and then tightened the knot AWAY from the frame. The result - knot was far from grommet and I couldn't get it closer to frame later, when I tightened the knot TOWARDS the frame.
    So, new set of strings later, I tightened the string wrapped around another racquet handle and put a toothpick into inside facing hole, tied a knot as close to the grommet as I could and then tightened it a bit towards frame, to get even more closer and then away from frame.
    Are there any knots, that run towards frame when tightened away from frame? :) Is there a better way to tie a knot, without loosing too much of tension? The tying part of stringing is not very explanative in videos and posts.

Btw, thanks :)

7. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

You could try a half hitch first, which you can pull carefully by hand to put some tension on the slack from the last main. Dont over do it as you'll damage the outer core of the main you're tying off to. Then follow with a figure of eight Knot.

8. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

sihker, please do a search on the knotting method. there are a couple method for staring knot method. for tide off, just use 2 half hitchs will be fine.

by the way, Estonia is a very peaceful and quite country. i like it there.

9. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Off topic . . . but will open a new thread in chit chat . . . Estonia has a flat tax system :D.

10. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Yeah? I have a 50% tax system at home!:crying:
    Everything I made on badminton crap, my wife takes 1/2.

11. sihker

sihker Regular Member

Well, the forum is a big mess. Even if the people would be nice to make a reference, it would look like "Santa's thread about new machine, page 23, post 15" :rolleyes:
    And no, we don't have a flat tax system. VAT varies from 5%-18%. Income tax is 21% + social security + job insurance etc. =~ 46%. I think Silentheart's wife has taken over Estonia :p

Ok,will try half-hitch + 8 knot, thanks.

12. airsteins

airsteins Regular Member

Sounds good, but you could also use a parnel knott for doing the second tie off.
    This, I find, gives a slightly stronger finish.

13. sihker

sihker Regular Member

ATM, I use double half-hitch for both tie-offs at one-piece method. So far works :)