Pain in upper calf muscle

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by 77suns, Jun 11, 2008.

1. 77suns

77suns Regular Member

-
    After my last game i notice a strain/pull on my upper posterier calf muscle (not at the side) about 2" below the benting point and seem to last for 4 days now, getting slightly better only. I can still feel this strain when going down a staircase. :(
    Has anyone experience this before and share some light on this?

2. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

I'm no sports medicine expert, but it is a shame no one else has answered.

Most likely you strained or slightly tore some muscle fibres of the gastrocnemius or more likely the soleus muscle. If the pain is central and you can feel a soft lump, you could have a Baker's cyst, which is a swelling of the knee joint itself that has bulged posteriorly.

At any rate, four days is not a long time. These things take time to heal. Put ice on it if it feels hot and sore. Put heat on it if it is stiff and sore. Gently stretch it but do not strain it with too many stairs or jumping etc. Be patient. 'Tincture of time' is great medicine.
    Good Luck.

3. 77suns

77suns Regular Member

-
    Thanks for your concern. Your are right about the soft lump on my right leg which i can feel it when i squat down fully. I am stretching it everyday cos i am playing 2-3 time weekly.

Did put on some oil and did some rolling using my fist and find it alot better now( after some searching on the net). Thanks again.