Okay, its my dad's b-day soon and i need help!

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by jseto, Jun 12, 2008.

1. jseto

jseto Regular Member

Ok, well heres the scoop

My dad's 53rd birthday is like only July 16th or something. The age "53" is old be he definetly isnt. He has very little white hair, no receding hair line, so he can play badminton at a regular pace.

This where where I ask for you help :)

Well, last summer my family (bro and parents) went to hk. My brother doest play badminton. Well, since i started to get more serious, i bought an At-500, and my mom bought a Ti-something. So you see, our rackets are quite decent and the strings were quite good also. So since 2/3 people have new reackets. The 1/3 guy is my dad. Heres the thing, my dad is the kind that keeps things untill they're literally ripping apart. He motto is "Only buy things you need"(I made that up but its something like that). He's shy-er and saves nearly everything. Btw, were EXTREMELY well off.

Wow such a long explanation. Now to the part that matters. My dad is stuck with a racket thats like 10 years old. The strings are so loose, and the racket is terrible, but my dad never complains. Now that his brithday is coming up, I think its time to give him a new badminton racket. But the thing is....I dunno what to get. My dad has played with my At-500 racket and he enjoys it quite a lot. Hes more of a recreational player, but I can see hes always trying to get better. Hes not afraid to join games with people better than him so that he can improve.

Heres his playing style. -Footwork is....meh but that doest really matter too much
    (remember, hes reacreational but always wants to get better)
    -I can see everytime he smashes ( although rarely) he gets some sense of satisfaction, (remember the 10 year old racket he uses) His smashes arent exactly amazing, but hes trying.

- And lastly, he absolute favourite shot he does every single time is the drop shot (net shot). Hes like a master!

Now is where I ask for help
    Im not exactly looking for a smashing racket, nor a defensive racket. Im looking for a good all-round racket, similar to the At-500 that he likes so much.

Ive been thinking about the Sotx Woven 8 or a sotx racket since im on a rather tight budget. Im only 16!!! Btw I live in Markham(Ontario) if anyone is wondering. The badminton stores around here are just insanly expensive since there are literally none around where I live.

Here are the sites im pretty much limited to
    http://maxsports.ca/store/sotx/power-boss-woven/cat_27.html?page=1
    http://www.mjstrings.ca/badmintonracquets.php

Yes Im 100% sure these guys are pure genuine.
    So lastly......w8 nvm

If you read this far, I give you a standing ovation.
    (If you have any questions, ask cause ill be checking this tread often)

yea...Thanks

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I use a racquet model which is over 20years old. In fact, the world champion in 2003 used the same model I'm using now:) I've had racquets given to me as a present but never used it.

TBH, I think your father would be OK with most racquets. Just don't string it above normal tensions. That would spoil his wicked dropshots;)

3. jseto

jseto Regular Member

lol okok, btw i plan on gettin him bg-80 at maybe 23 lbs? But yea I was thinkin bout Sotx Woven 8. Looks super smexy!

4. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    woven 9 is better if he prefers light rackets.

5. jseto

jseto Regular Member

yea i think he preferes 3u ish to light racket

6. hermanho

hermanho New Member

Apacs

You might be able to get Apacs from this guy, I got mine 2 Apacs for only $80, shipping included.

racquet_sports@yahoo.com

7. KingO

KingO Regular Member

RN
    If you are interested in SOTX, you should check out ibuysports.com on e-bay. He sells W8 and W9 rackets on e-bay that at end of auction have been coming out to much less than retail (e.g. W8 for $40USD plus $20USD shipping to Canada). He claims to be an authorized SOTX dealer.

Just ask an adult family member or a trusted adult friend to buy it for you if you don't have an e-bay account (I don't know what the minimum age is to have an e-bay account... no offense).

Good Luck:)

8. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    Ibuysports is a authorised seller so don't worry about him selling fake rackets.