Would riding on a Stationary Bicycle help?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by CkcJsm, Jun 12, 2008.

1. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

I have a stationary bicycle at home since our house is too small to fit a treadmill.Would a stationary bicycle help with speed, endurance and basically leg muscles?

2. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Only if you're extremely lacking in fitness.

3. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

its good to use for interval training. Push your heart rate up to 80/90% of max for say 15 seconds then relax back to 30% of max. Do this for say 10 minutes.

Too much work on a bike can shorten your calf muscles/soleus. Remember to add stretches to your daily/weekly routine.

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

That's rather a snide response. :p

A stationary bike can be used to improve your fitness in a number of ways. Depending on what aspect of fitness you want to improve, you can use different programmes.

For example: if you want to improve general aerobic stamina, you can exercise continuously at a moderate intensity (say, for 30 - 60 minutes). Or if you want to focus on speed, you can try the interval training that coachgary suggested.

Cycling does improve general leg strength; but if you're looking to increase your muscle size, an exercise involving heavier resistance would be more effective (say, weighted squats or the leg press machine).

Ideally, your fitness programme would include a significant element of on-court work too (helping you to get badminton-specific fitness).

5. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

There's a couple reasons I don't really like stationary cycling:

The hip flexors are constantly shortened - tight hip flexors tend to make the glutes less effective. Therefore, the cycling movement is dominated by the quads, which feeds the knee vs hip extension strength imbalance that already exists in most people.

Posture during cycling isn't so great either. If it is a recumbent seat, then you're pedaling while sitting back. If it is an upright, then your spine goes into forward flexion, especially so if you lean forward on the handlebars. Either way, you have a bad influence on core strength and posture.

Of course, a low to moderate amount is fine. However, I consider a low to moderate amount of a lot of other exercises to be even better. That's why I'm not too keen on stationary cycling.

6. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    I have a stationary bike. The butt chair is extremely hard and uncomfortable even though its made of some sort of rubber. The pedaling was always really loose no matter how hard I twist the tightener dial. I think you should just run, although I know how hard it is to get up off your butt to do it sometimes. I haven't done any running in awhile.

7. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

i wanna improve in my speed in badminton and endurance.

8. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    I'm biking everyday for around 35-40 minutes from my school to my house for summer school. Do you guys think its a good aerobic exercise? I don't want to do what you guys mentioned, which is hurting or shortening my muscles. I have huge calves and leg muscles already, so I don't think I'm worried I'll lose power. Just worried I'm working on the wrong muscles and lowering my badminton footwork capabilities.

Lol. Did you even read what everyone said.

9. Luffy

Luffy Regular Member

Hi! I just bought a stationnary bike.

Hello,

I tried your type of interval training and it seems to work out pretty well. However, what do you mean by ''too much work on a bike can shorten your calf muscles/soleus''??. If I do this everyday while increasing the duration, is it too much? If I also add 30 min of moderate intensity (30km/h) would it be too much?

Your interval training is a good training for badminton because it works from low to high intensity just like a real match of single, but I also think that endurance at a moderate intensity is also good.

Should I do both? Or interval training would be better?

10. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    One thing you may want to consider is the impact of any of these exercises
    on your knees. My understanding is, running would have higher impacts than
    cycling.

11. b.leung

b.leung Regular Member

Btw I find running/jogging interval or HIIT (high intensity interval training) is more effective than cycling

12. Luffy

Luffy Regular Member

Stationnary bicycle vs running

According to me, stationnary bicycle is pretty good for leg endurance. I have been using one for about 2 weeks (30 min, 25-30km/h, 4-5 times per week) and I don't really feel much pain anymore in my legs while using footwork on court. However, it seems that it does not help me improve the explosivness of my legs for doubles.

I think that skipping rope might be the answer for that. People tell me that it gives faster reaction for my legs. However, I switched lastly into high intensity interval training (15 sec slow, 15 sec very fast) and it seems to work really well my heart and my legs (calves/quads).

It seems to me that running gives more cardiovascular while stationnary bicycle gives more leg strength endurance but both activities are good in both ways.

Choosing the stationnary bike over running is a matter of season. I find it hard to run in winter so I bought a stationnary bike so I can use it whenever I want to. Just have to respect to schedule every day. I agree that in summer, it is much more fun to run outside with the sun.

Aaah....summer...guys....can't wait =DD

13. tommypham6

tommypham6 Regular Member

Stationary Bicycling is a great way to improve endurance and basic muscles. However it's important to vary your exercises otherwise your body will adapt to the biking. As mentioned skipping is a great workout for your calves, quads.. etc. I find it best to skip, row, bike or jog at least once a week.

14. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    The answer depends on your level and technique skills/style, ambitions and how old you are...? Further more please tell how you recognize the problem on court?

15. hunkajunk69

hunkajunk69 Regular Member

You mention the knee vs Hip extension strength inbalance. If I have such a problem, what excercises are recommended to resolve this imbalance?

Thanks.

16. Enig.Ma

Enig.Ma Regular Member

I heard that Lin Dan developed his speed by using a stationary bike.