News Articles on Singapore Open

Discussion in 'Philippines Open / Singapore Open 2008' started by eaglehelang, Jun 13, 2008.

1. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

These articles are for those threads that havent been started, others like news on KBH is in that thread :

NST

14 June

Badminton: Super show by Razif-Wee Kiong

Email to friend [​IMG] Print article [​IMG]

addthis_pub = 'nstonline';[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Malaysian pair Razif Latif (left) and Tan Wee Kiong beat China’s Guo Zhendong-Xie Zhongbo in the Aviva Singapore Open at the Singapore Indoor Stadium yesterday. Razif-Wee Kiong won 17-21, 21-11, 21-19.

LEE Chong Wei and Wong Mew Choo marched on as expected but back-up pair Razif Latif-Tan Wee Kiong served a shock by beating China's No 2 pair of Guo Zhendong-Xie Zhongbo to advance to the last four of the Aviva Singapore Open yesterday.
    And whatever happens in the semi-finals at the Singapore Indoor Stadium today, Malaysia are guaranteed of at least one pair in the finals tomorrow as Zakry Latif-Fairuzizuan Tazari and Gan Teik Chai-Lin Woon Fui are also in the final four.

An all Malaysian doubles semi-final, pitting the Teik Chai-Woon Fui combination against Razif-Wee Kiong, would ensure a Malaysian representative in the men's doubles final.

Razif-Wee Kiong toppled Beijing Olympics-bound Zhendong-Zhongbo 21-17,11-21, 21-19 to continue their impressive run, Teik Chai-Woon Fui reached the last four beating compatriots Chan Chong Ming-Chew Choon Eng 21-14, 21-17 while Zakry Latif-Fairuzizuan beat compatriots Khoo Chung Chiat-Tan Bin Shen 21-23, 21-13, 21-7.

And Chong Wei could join them too if his current form is any indication.
    The No 1 seed took only 23 minutes to beat Denmark's Joachim Persson 21-19, 21-17 in their quarter-final clash and will face Denmark's Peter Gade Christensen, the 2006 champion, in the semis today.

Persson was never in the game from the very start. Chong Wei's aggression and deft touches saw to that and the Dane was left with no answers to his opponent's superior court craft.

"I have played Joachim so many times before. So there is no question of any pressure or anxiety on my part. But I notice he was very slow today. Still there is the semi-final tomorrow and whoever I play I expect a tough match. I have not really been tested in the tournament so far. But the semis will be different," said Chong Wei.

Wong Mew Choo, seeded No 4 in the tournament came through her quarter-final match against Korea's Hwang Hye Youn with a 21-12, 21-9 win. She will face Tine Rasmussen of Denmark, the reigning All England singles champion.

"I am happy with my performance today. I made very little mistakes and I hope I can maintain my form tomorrow.

"I need to be at my best because Tine (Rasmussen) is a difficult opponent," said Mew Choo.

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Saturday/Sport/2267179/Article/index_html

Razif looking more & more like Zakry.

2. eaglehelang

The Star Online > Sports
    Saturday June 14, 2008

New young pair make heads turn with semi-final entry

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysian number one Lee Chong Wei and Wong Mew Choo were impressive in their victories to earn semi-final berths in the men’s and women’s singles competitions respectively in the Singapore Open yesterday.
    But it was the younger Malaysian men’s pair of Mohd Razif Abdul Latif-Tan Wee Kiong who stole the thunder in quarter-final action of the fifth leg of the Super Series event.

Razif-Wee Kiong were one of the five Malaysian pairs featuring in the quarter-finals and they made it to the semi-finals. Two other pairs also advanced – Gan Teik Chai-Lin Woon Fui and Mohd Zakry Abdul Latif-Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari.

Teik Chai-Woon Fui and Zakry-Fairuzizuan won their matches against fellow Malaysians.

The scratch pair of Razif-Wee Kiong pulled off the biggest upset, eliminating India Open champions Guo Zhengdong-Xie Zhongbo of China 21-17, 11-21, 21-19.

They will take on Teik Chai-Woon Fui today for a place in the final. The other semi-final is between Zakry-Fairuzizuan and South Koreans Cho Gun-woo-Yoo Yeon-seong.

National chief coach Yap Kim Hock was pleased with the breakthrough performance from Razif-Wee Kiong.

“This is their first tournament as a pair. We will decide after this on whether we want to make them a regular pair,” said Kim Hock said from Singapore yesterday.

“We have three pairs in the semi-finals and I think there is a strong possibility of an all-Malaysian final.”

3. eaglehelang

The Star Online > Sports
    Saturday June 14, 2008

Denmark hope Rasmussen can break Asian stranglehold

COPENHAGEN: Tine Rasmussen (pic) has excelled on the world badminton scene in the past year to win three major titles, fuelling Danish hopes that she could become the first non-Asian woman to win an Olympic gold in the sport in Beijing.

After years in the shadow of Danish ex-world champion Camilla Martin, Rasmussen won the All England title in March, adding to victories in the Malaysia and Japan Open tournaments.

Widely expected to win the European championship on home soil in April, the 28-year-old faltered in the final, losing out to Chinese-born German Xu Huaiwen.

Rasmussen, however, believes the defeat has helped her to find the right state of mind for August's Olympics.

“I have a lot of confidence and I will be there to fight for everything,” the world number six told Reuters in an interview.

“I will go to Beijing to play my best badminton ever and if I do that it is a success for me. When you only set goals for medals it can be tough. To win the gold medal, everything has to go right at that moment.”

Rasmussen started playing badminton when she was seven, following in the footsteps of her older brother, Per. She spent her early career watching friend and team-mate Martin's exploits, which included a silver at the Sydney Games in 2000.

“She was just always better than me and I learned a lot from her,” Rasmussen said.

“She was in that position that I'm in now, talking to all the journalists and I was just outside, watching. When she stopped I was mature enough to take over the singles mantle in Denmark.”

Her fans hope she can better Martin's result in Beijing but top Chinese players Xie Xingfang, titleholder Zhang Ning and Lu Lan are the clear favourites if they can shoulder the enormous pressure to deliver on home court. – Reuters

http://www.thestar.com.my/services/...ile=/2008/6/14/sports/21549486.asp&sec=sports

4. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Badminton: Lee Chong Wei to take on Peter Gade in semi-finals of Aviva Singapore Open

SINGAPORE: In the men's singles, top seed and world number two Lee Chong Wei from Malaysia continued his fine run at the Aviva Singapore Open on Friday.

But he may have a tough semi-final game on Saturday against Denmark's Peter Gade, the 2006 Champion.

Lee Chong Wei has been taking advantage of the fact that the other big names from China and Indonesia pulled out of the tournament.

He is on course for his first Singapore Open title when he defeated Jochim Persson in straight sets.

The Dane did not provide much resistance, going down 21-9, 21-7.

Peter Gade booked his semi-final berth against Lee, when he won his quarter-final tie against Vietnam's Nguyen Tien Minh.

Gade, a veteran at 31-years of age, was pushed 21-11,14-21,21-12 - before he clinched victory.

Gade said: "There is no question that he will be the favourite, together with Lin Dan. It is really a good test for me before the Olympics and I am going to enjoy. Hopefully it will be a good match for the spectators." -CNA/vm

=========
    source: CNA

5. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Badminton: Last S'porean shuttler Xing Aiying out of S'pore Open in quarter-finals

SINGAPORE: Xing Aiying was the last Singaporean left competing in the Aviva Singapore Badminton Open on Friday. But she lost to Denmark's Tine Rasmussen in the quarter-finals.

19-year-old Xing Aiying had the crowd's support at the Singapore Indoor Stadium but it was not easy against the bigger and more experienced Dane.

World number six, Rasmussen, took the game easily in straight sets, 21-13 and 21-11 in just half an hour.

Despite the loss, the Singaporean said she was satisfied with her performance at this tournament.

She said: "I didn't think I could reach the quarter-final or any other level, because in the first round itself, my opponent was quite strong. But I think can learn much from this tournament.” - CNA/vm

======
    source: CNA

6. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

SINGAPORE : World Number Two Lee Chong Wei cruised past Indonesia's Simon Santoso to clinch the men's singles title at the Aviva Singapore Badminton Open on Sunday.

Eight thousand fans packed the arena as World No 12 Santoso started off well against top seed Lee, but Lee picked up the pace to wrap the first game 21-13.

There was no contest in the second game, as the top seed completely took charge, winning the game 21-5 and the match in just under half an hour.

His efforts in Singapore won him a cool US$15,000.

More importantly, it gave Lee the much needed preparations for the upcoming Beijing Olympics.

In the women's singles event, Denmark's Tine Rasmussen, who had yet to drop a game in the competition, kept that record intact.

She defeated Zhou Mi, a former China player who now represents Hong Kong. Rasmussen took just 36 minutes to win the match 21-19, 21-17, and pocketed US$15,000.

Meanwhile, it was an all-Malaysian affair in the men's doubles event.

The pair of Mohd Fairuzizuan and Mohd Zakry beat their countrymen Gan Teik Chai and Woon Fui Lin 21-18, 21-17 in straight sets.

The women's double title went to the Chinese pair of Du Jing and Yu Yang, who defeated Taiwan's Cheng Wen Hsing and Chien Yu Chin 21-16, 21-19.

The mixed doubles match saw Indonesia's Nova Widianto and Liliyana Natsir clinching the match in three games. They beat England's Anthony Clark and Donna Kellogg 17-21,21-14, 21-9.

The players were not the only winners on Sunday. Some S$7,000 was raised for charity as part of the Aviva Colour Day. A dollar was donated for each spectator who came in wearing a yellow top .- CNA/ms

7. eaglehelang

8. eaglehelang

NST

16 June 2008

Badminton / Singapore Open: Glorious double for Malaysia

2008/06/16

A RAMPANT Lee Chong Wei steamrolled his way to win the the Aviva Singapore Open men's singles title yesterday. The Malaysian No 1 and the tournament's top seed took just 29 minutes to blast the challenge of Indonesia's Simon Santoso winning 21-13, 21-5 at the Indoor Stadium.

Chong Wei, the World No 2, took home US$15,000 (RM48,000) for his effort.

Malaysia made it a double when Zakry Latif-Fairuzizuan Tazari took the men's doubles title with a 21-18, 21-17 win over compatriots Lin Woon Fui-Gan Teik Chai.

For Chong Wei, his first-ever Singapore Open title will act as a massive psychological boost as he heads for the Beijing Olympics in August. The gold medal will be foremost in his thoughts.

But for now he will savour winning Singapore Open after six attempts.

"I am happy with my win but as I said from the beginning I am at the Singapore Open because I need the feel of competition before I head to Beijing. Winning or losing didn't really matter," said Chong Wei, who will be skipping next week's Indonesian Open where he is the defending champion.

"I will take a short break and then return to training until I leave for Beijing."

For Simon, he must be well aware that yesterday he lost to a player who hardly put a foot wrong, and said so.

"Chong Wei was extraordinary today (yesterday). His performance was flawless but that can be expected from a player who is so matured. For me, I made far too many errors and the gap was always too big for me to do anything," said Simon, who is ranked World No 12.

For Zakry and Fairuz, who will not be going to the Olympics, the win was their first major title and collected US$13,800 (RM45,300), their biggest payday to date.

"Our win was totally unexpected. But when we arrived here (in Singapore) and saw the list of withdrawals, and added to that the defeat of the two top Danish pairs and the No 2 pair from China, we were confident," said Zakry.

"We hope this will be a new beginning for us as we look forward to win more titles. In fact, we have beaten most pairs on the circuit except for Indonesia's Markis Kido-Hendra Setiawan, the World No 1, and Koreans Lee Yong Dae-Jung Jae Sung."

Next week's Indonesian Open in Jakarta is next on their list and the Malaysian pair are hoping to do better than their semi-final appearance last year. (actually Fuzzy were runner up last yr)

"This victory will provide us the confidence to take on the other pairs," added Zakry.

For a change, badminton's powerhouse China walked away with only one title -- the women's doubles -- when Yu Yang-Du Jing beat KLRC Bhd-sponsored Cheng Wen Hsing-Chien Yu Chin of Taiwan 21-16, 21-19 for the title.

Denmark's Tine Rasmussen took the women's singles title beating Hong Kong's Zhou Mi (also sponsored by KLRC) 21-19, 21-17. It was her fourth title in the Super Series following the 2008 Malaysian Open, the 2007 Japan Open and the 2008 All-England titles.

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Monday/Sport/2268635/Article/pppull_index_html

9. eaglehelang

The Star Online > Sports
    Monday June 16, 2008

Shuttler Chong Wei scores a first in lopsided final
    KUALA LUMPUR: National number one Lee Chong Wei gave a show of class to emerge as the first Malaysian to win the Singapore Open men's singles title at the republic's indoor stadium yesterday.
    The world number two and top seed Chong Wei took only 29 minutes to crush Simon Santoso of Indonesia 21-13, 21-5 in one of the most lopsided men's singles finals in a Super Series event.
    And Mohd Zakry Abdul Latif-Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari made it a more memorable outing for Malaysia by winning their first career men's doubles title – beating compatriots Gan Teik Chai-Woon Lin Fui 21-18, 21-17 in the final.
    [​IMG] Lee Chong Wei is congratulated by fans after winning the men's final against Simon Santoso of Indonesia. – AP

The day belonged to Chong Wei, who only faced some resistance from Simon for the first five minutes of the match. A 15-0 lead in the second game underlined Chong Wei total domination of the match.

“It was a good win for me. I remember, I was in the final here in 2004 but I let slip the chance to win the title then (losing to Kenneth Jonassen of Denmark). This time, I got it right,” said Chong Wei in a telephone interview from Singapore yesterday.

“I did not anticipate taking a huge lead against Simon. But I did not look down on him despite leading 15-love. I just stayed focused.

“The win does give me some confidence ahead of the Olympic Games. But I do not want to be over confident. There is so much work to be done to be better for the Beijing Olympics in August.”

Meanwhile, Chong Wei has decided not to move on to Jakarta for the Indonesian Open, which starts on Wednesday. The others who also withdrew are Wong Choong Hann and Wong Mew Choo.

[​IMG] On the double: Singapore Open winners Mohd Zakry and Mohd Fairuzizuan posing with Gan Teck Chai and Woon Lin Fui after the cheque presentation ceremony. - bernama

But Zakry-Fairuzizuan will be making a bid for another good run in Indonesia.
    Zakry said that it was a big relief that they finally won a first Open title after many failed attempts since he paired up with Fairuzizuan last year.

“I am happy that we took our chances well in the absence of many top players. In fact, this is my first Open title in my badminton career,” said Zakry, who dedicated the win to his father.

“But we do not want to win here and lose in the first round at the Indonesia. We want to be a consistent pair.”

In the women's singles, Denmark's Tine Rasmussen continued to show that she is now a serious Olympic title contender after winning her fourth Open title in Singapore yesterday. She defeated Hong Kong's Zhou Mi 21-19, 21-17.

He he, Fuzzy pair dunno whether to smile or not, since it's their team mate they beat. Gan/Lin look glum, as expected.

10. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Badminton: Coach Rexy to start grooming young pairs for London Olympics

By RAJES PAUL

KUALA LUMPUR: National doubles chief Rexy Mainaky experimented with young scratch pairs in the just concluded Singapore Open badminton championships and the results were encouraging indeed.
    And he is keen to give these youngsters more opportunities as part of Malaysia's early preparations to form formidable pairs for the 2012 London Olympics.
    [​IMG] Stunning show: Mohd Razif Abdul Latif and Tan Wee Kiong celebrating their win over China’s Guo Zhendong-Xie Zhongbo at the Singapore Open recently.
    At the Singapore Open, Rexy tested four new pairs – Chan Peng Soon-Lim Khim Wah, Mohd Razif Abdul Latif-Tan Wee Kiong, Hoon Thien How-Ong Soon Hock and Khoo Chung Chiat-Tan Bin Shen. And all of them gave creditable performances.
    Razif-Wee Kiong stunned China’s second ranked pair of Xie Zhongbo-Guo Zhengdong to reach the semi-finals while Chung Chiat-Bin Shen pulled the rug from under Japanese Keita Masuda-Tadashi Ohtsuka in the second round.
    The other two pairs did not go far but they certainly gave their opponents a run for their money.
    Except for Bin Shen and Soon Hock, the others are players from the Project 2010-12 squad. All four pairs will feature in the Indonesian Open, which starts tomorrow in Jakarta.
    Rexy said that it was best for Malaysia to start early in grooming the players than be sorry for not having depth in their doubles department.
    He will try out the players in several other tournaments before forming more permanent partnerships after the Beijing Olympics in August.
    “When I came to Malaysia, I had six pairs to work with. Only three became established pairs. And of the three, one pair are at the end of their playing careers,” said Rexy.
    The current three established pairs are Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong, Mohd Zakry Abdul Latif-Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari and veterans Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah.
    “I do not want to see Malaysia making the same mistakes again. It is not right to wait one year before the Olympics and expose the youngsters. We have to build new pairs from now,” said Rexy.
    He was also happy to note the new pairs' determination to prove a point in the Singapore Open.
    “The other countries will surely take note of their performances in Singapore. It will be good if they can continue with their good showing in Indonesia,” said Rexy.
    “In the Thailand Open (June 24-29), the coaches will make changes to the pairings. We will assess their performances in a few tournaments before deciding on the best combinations.”