Replacement for a Yonex 21

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Skanbuzz, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Skanbuzz

Skanbuzz Regular Member

Construction
    Hi,

I mainly play men & mixed double. The standard are too terribly high, not beginner nor league players but good exercise and at time challenging.

I borrowed a Yonex TI10 for a sessions and last night half way through, I change back to my old Yonex carbonex 21. I had been giving the TI10 a good go, hoping to replace my aging C21.
    My style of play is mainly placement/accuracy play cause my smashing lack power and rear court play require improving but I was hoping getting a more technology advance/engineered racket will help my weaknesses.
    I found the Ti10 give me more power when smashing but control is not as good, especially short serve and refine net placement but most of all, in defence, the C21 react and move through the air much quicker and gives better control when opponent attacking/smashing so I have to defend.

I am still interested in a replacement but open for suggestion, not necessary yonex even.
    I think the C21 is flexible, 3U, headlight.
    Could anyone suggest something similar or a another racket able to maintain the '+'s of the C21 & assist in my weakneses?
    I have seen the good review on Apacs but yet to decide which model

Thanks

2. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    It seems like you play better with head light or even balanced rackets.

3. Skanbuzz

Skanbuzz Regular Member

Construction
    Can anyone confirm whether my old Carbonex 21 is aheadlight and what degree of flexibilty or is it firm?
    Which other racket can give these similar spec?

4. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    The Carbonex 21 is a medium-stiff racket that is even balance.

5. lelynx

lelynx Regular Member

can try yonex arcsaber 10 or apacs edge saber 10...

6. Skanbuzz

Skanbuzz Regular Member

Construction
    Could you advice what is the Spec for the Edgesaber 10 & Arcsaber 10 eg
    Flex:
    Head:
    Balance:

As compare to the Yonex C21?
    May I know why you mentioned those two?

7. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    The ARC10 is stiffer but has around the same balance as Carb21

8. Skanbuzz

Skanbuzz Regular Member

Construction
    Hi

Thanks
    Could anyone help & explain:

Even Balance: What does this affect?
    Head heavy/light: my understanding is that Head heavy is good for attacking and smashing, the exact reasons ?? What is the headlight racket do?
    Flexibility: My understanding is that non firm or flexible shaft racket generate its own power as you swing and therefore easier to play for those player who are not so technically capable. Does it assist in control, smashing and net player? What disadvantage its give?

I think weight of racket play a part too and tension of the string too.
    Could someone put in simple langauage what does those two affect a player like me?

Thanks
    Why is the Carb 21 feel so better in control for me?

9. lelynx

lelynx Regular Member

well, as you have used to light headed racket, these 2 will suit your well...
    the thing i like about these 2 rackets is that you can still get some decent smashing power IF your technique is right...
    my advise to you, try out the racket at your local shop and i'm sure you will never look back again... ;)

10. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

to answer your questions, you already answer some yourself.
    1) Even balance - It feel neither head light nor head heavy. Good for all around player who play both control and power game.
    2) Head heavier racquet can transfer momentum better than head light racquet given they have same shaft stiffness and other factors. It give better stability also. Head light means usually reserved for blond.:D Sorry for the bad joke. Head light racquet are good for defense because given all other factors are the same, you can turn and swing a racquet faster and get to the shuttle faster to block or clear shot.
    3) Racquet do not generate power, player does. A general idea. A racquet store the force you put on a swing into the shaft and store as energy during impact. Then transfer the energy onto the shuttle and send it other direction. A stiffer shaft racquet transfers the energy faster than a flex shaft. However, your swing need to be able to flex the shaft enough to store energy. So a weaker player usually prefer mid flex shaft to reach the racquet potential while a smash/strong player prefer stiffer shaft.
    4) Weight of racquet will effect your swing speed and momentum transfer. The string tension is more important and racquet selection IMHO. Since you are a control/placement player, higher tension will help you control the shot selection and placement. If you are a weaker player who wish to gain power, a lower tension is preferred because the string bed's trampoline effect.
    5) Cab21 is a fine racquet. However, it has smaller frame size. It gives better control. Also, it is a regular length racquet. Shorter racquet is usually easier to control. I would suggest you stick with Yonex because the inside T joint for added stability.
    Good luck on your quest.

11. Skanbuzz

Skanbuzz Regular Member

Construction
    Hi,

Thank you for all the info

What is the spec for arcsaber 10?
    and the edgesaber 10 spec to?

So the Carb 21 is an even balance racket with a medium stiff shaft.

So in my case, I wanted to improve on smashing and inorder not to loose the Carb21 advantages that suit me, I should be looking at least medium stiff or stiffe shaft (assuming that my swing or transfer of energy is not so good) but could improve.

As for even balance, this give me good control
    For the weight of racket, since Carb21 is a 3u, a heavier racket say 2u will probably slow down my swing so either a 3u or 4u will give me a better momentum?????
    As for string tension, I am still a little lost. I am a control/placement player so a high tension string is suit me but I also wish to gain power when I smash because I feel that my smash is just too slow or weak. What string or tension should I be considering?

12. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    I can probably only answer the 2nd and 3rd question:

If your Cab21 is even balance and 3U, then 3U racquet will be best for you instead of 4U; You'll probably find 4U too light.

As for string tension, try 23lbs with BG80 string, it's a suitable combo for most people, except for those maniacs who string at 27+ lbs :p:p:p

13. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Can you try out a Cab30ms? Got everything you want and good thing you are used to. Also, a good deal too.