difference between high tension and low tension string?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Tekkai, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Tekkai

Tekkai Regular Member

hi im new to this forum so well if i posted anything wrong pls tell me ty!. Erm just to ask i heard from ppl that a high tension string lyk 25-30lbs will give a more powerful smash and when you hit the shuttle it flys faster..And a lower tension string from 21-24lbs allows u to hit the shuttle further wifout using alot of strentgh?

so is this true? can anyone tell me?ty! and if this topic has been posted elsewhere pls let me noe TY!

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
  3. Tekkai

Tekkai Regular Member

hey ty man tat helps!

4. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Generally in badminton you need leverage and then the last "home stretch" hand speed to get power. Leverage can be described as a "circle" in which the bigger your swing the bigger the leverage "circle" plus the speed of your hand from the elbow to your wrist/hand. High tension will not give you power if your last "home stretch" hand speed is not fast enough. It must be executed like a whip as you impact the shuttle, or like the way you swat a fly. With such a technique stiff shaft is not a problem. If you cannot exeute that last second whip-like shot, then a more flexible shaft will give you a slightly larger leverage circle to enable you to hit a power shot but at lower tension only. Without that last "home stretch" speeding up of the stroke there is no way you can hit a power shot at high tension, irrespective of the flexibility or stiffness of the shaft. Low tension plus a more flexible shaft will then be more suitable.
    Just have a look at the top players' power shots-top players play with tension in the 30lbs range-particularly for that home stretch acceleration of the hand at impact.

5. Tekkai

Tekkai Regular Member

alright! thx! now i get the idea of it..well i guess i need more practicing then..

6. Dream Hai

Dream Hai Regular Member

All of this is correct information...I would only add the fact that if your technique is not good enough to hit the sweet spot on almost every shot then you will never get good power from any tension or flex...the higher the tension the smaller the usable sweet spot...:)