User Tag List

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by phandrew View Post
    Just a quick question, has anyone tried Carlton F1 or F2 nylon shuttlecock? They are the top plastic shuttlecocks from carlton.
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...ght=Carlton+F1

/Twobeer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by twobeer View Post
    And then you continue a lenghty off-topic ramble about plastic vs. feathers, instead of sticking to the topic..

/Twobeer
    i wasn't detailing plastic vs feater comparision like in the feather vs plastic thread. I was just blogging my experience from yesterday.
    u r welcome to share with us your playing experience with Mavis over here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by phandrew View Post
    Just a quick question, has anyone tried Carlton F1 or F2 nylon shuttlecock? They are the top plastic shuttlecocks from carlton.
    This one interests me..As a fact, we are not used to playing plastic shuttlecocks and its true that the game is getting expensive using those feathers (but cost wont be much a factor tho as long as one is enjoying the game). But if theres a way that one could cut down the cost without affecting MUCH the quality of the game, then y not? As to the plastic shuttles, i havent seen/nor tried yet the mavis brand thats being discussed here but seen the CARLTON brand. Which one can you suggest a bit closer to feather? I might try one tonight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is an interesting topic

Is there any test or review available? to compare 300/350 and 500
    Can we use machine to hit the ball with constant force and measure the distance they travel?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    This one interests me..As a fact, we are not used to playing plastic shuttlecocks and its true that the game is getting expensive using those feathers (but cost wont be much a factor tho as long as one is enjoying the game). But if theres a way that one could cut down the cost without affecting MUCH the quality of the game, then y not? As to the plastic shuttles, i havent seen/nor tried yet the mavis brand thats being discussed here but seen the CARLTON brand. Which one can you suggest a bit closer to feather? I might try one tonight.
    Of course the quality of the game and the game itself is very different between plastics and feathers. If you choose plastics for economic reason then by all means go ahead, but you will not have anywhere the type of quality of the game that only feathers can give.
    Asians are poorer than North Americans yet almost no Asian, even those who are beginners, will play with plastics except on the beaches and in country parks. Herein lies the difference. Asians know the break-even point of plastics vs feathers and they have overwhelmingly chosen : feathers for the courts and plastics for the beaches. This is I believe why North Americans just don't make the cut in competitive badminton because of a large portion of its "raw materials" are being fed on a diet of plastics which ill-prepares them for the real world of badminton.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a question whether North Americans are or are not poorer than Asians. Its a simple question of what is available. No matter how rich we are, or how easy it is to order online, shipping batches of feather birdies month after month is a hassle. Why bother with that when plastic birdies are readily available at a cheaper price. Yes, we do not enjoy the game as much, but the fact is, Asians live in a super saturated market of feather, and North Americans are the exact opposite.

Simple question of why Canadians import Japanese beef to eat. Its such a hassle, especially through immigration, and not to mention the high cost. The only reason would be because Japanese beef tastes much better, but ordering beef every month is such a hassle. While on the other hand, Canadian beef is readily available at the supermarket outside my house, at a cheaper price and convenience as well. Ultimately, what enters our mouth comes out the same way, which is besides the point in this huge metaphor.

I believe the Carlton F1's are durable and comparable to Mavis 350's from what I heard, although I have not personally yet been able to try the F1's. F1's are pretty rare here. Half a dozen of Mavis 350's may cost as much as a dozen medium grade feather birdies from MBS. and imo, mavis 350's medium break too easily, both cork and skirt.
    Last edited by ray_mond; 09-07-2008 at 01:31 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ray_mond View Post
    Ultimately, what enters our mouth comes out the same way, which is besides the point in this huge metaphor.
    I like this metaphor :-)

a good goose-feather is like Japanese Kobe beef, and a Mavis 350 is what comes out in the other end

/Twobeer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ray_mond View Post
    Not a question whether North Americans are or are not poorer than Asians. Its a simple question of what is available.
    Is simple market economics.. If the players are not skilled or have enough interest invested in the game, they market demand for high-quality shuttle will be low..

The comparisonŽanalogy made with beef is moot, I think, as the cost difference is extreme between good quality domestic beef and imported top-quality japaneese beef.
    Each individual feather shuttle is actually less expensive than the plastic shuttles, so the metaphor is not really comparable at all.

/Twobeer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is simple market economics.. If the players are not skilled or have enough interest invested in the game, they market demand for high-quality shuttle will be low..

The comparisonŽanalogy made with beef is moot, I think, as the cost difference is extreme between good quality domestic beef and imported top-quality japaneese beef.
    Each individual feather shuttle is actually less expensive than the plastic shuttles, so the metaphor is not really comparable at all.

/Twobeer
    fyi most of Japanese beef is actually grown here in California, and shipped where ever. Its Japanese owned, but California grown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by illusionistpro View Post
    fyi most of Japanese beef is actually grown here in California, and shipped where ever. Its Japanese owned, but California grown
    I guess you mean japanese "style" beef.. it is not really japaneese beef if its not from Japan, right

But I see you point :-)

That makes the analogy with the beef and shuttles even more inaccurate :-) :-)

Also check out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobe_beef (off topic)

/T
    Last edited by twobeer; 09-08-2008 at 03:29 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by illusionistpro View Post
    This is misleading. The best beef in the world, namely Matsusaka beef, Mishima beef, and Kobe beef are pure Japanese beef. There is not a single gram of anything American except Americans want to pass off their inferior beef as Kobe beef. They are so famous that American companies, without an iota of shame, have come out with cheap copycats from American beef and Angus beef. Names like Mishima Ranch beef and Matsusaka beef and Kobe beef, all American beef which are very poor cousins to the real Japanese beef, are trying to do what "fake" Yonex racquets are trying to do to Yonex.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I like this metaphor :-)

a good goose-feather is like Japanese Kobe beef, and a Mavis 350 is what comes out in the other end

/Twobeer
    I've had a particularly nasty week at the office... until I read this

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak View Post
    This is misleading. The best beef in the world, namely Matsusaka beef, Mishima beef, and Kobe beef are pure Japanese beef. There is not a single gram of anything American except Americans want to pass off their inferior beef as Kobe beef. They are so famous that American companies, without an iota of shame, have come out with cheap copycats from American beef and Angus beef. Names like Mishima Ranch beef and Matsusaka beef and Kobe beef, all American beef which are very poor cousins to the real Japanese beef, are trying to do what "fake" Yonex racquets are trying to do to Yonex.
    I'd argue that this too is misleading

What's the basis for declaring one variety of beef as 'the best beef in the world'?
    Merely because the Japanese say so?
    Merely because someone says so?

Who is this judge that has tasted every variety of beef there is?

-----------
    Finally, what's all this beef about beef in this Mavis thread?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

huh? why are u guys talking about beef here??

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldhand View Post
    I'd argue that this too is misleading

What's the basis for declaring one variety of beef as 'the best beef in the world'?
    Merely because the Japanese say so?
    Merely because someone says so?

Who is this judge that has tasted every variety of beef there is?

-----------
    Finally, what's all this beef about beef in this Mavis thread?
    ok, talking about beef.......
    RM400/steak, good taste, good texture
    RM40/steak, good taste, good texture (almost same to the RM400 beef)
    RM16/steak, good taste, good texture, excellent value for money (almost same to RM40 beef)

but, at least i did eat that once and not paid by me......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i don't think anyone really understands, but MAVIS 300S ARE A !@#$load better then EVERY OTHER PLASTIC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by XtC-604 View Post
    i don't think anyone really understands, but MAVIS 300S ARE A !@#$load better then EVERY OTHER PLASTIC
    ya, don't waste time with trying other nylon shuttles (BK, carlton, etc).

on the beef topic:
    kobe beef is promoted like gucci or lululemon products.
    To me, i don't eat anythng is 50%+ fat. Fat is cheap (free), why pay $100/lb for it?? Of course it melt in your mouth, so why not bite into butter, it's even more tender than kobe beef. I' am blessed with excellent Alberta beef over here, tender and juicy with only 1-2% fat and i get to taste 98-99% beef flavor. Even Japanese imports alot of US and Canadian beef annually.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast