Grip Sizes by Regions

Discussion in 'Grip' started by tinned_ham, Jun 16, 2008.

1. tinned_ham

tinned_ham Regular Member

what grip sizes (and weights) of rackets are available across distribution codes (for Yonex in particular)? i did a search on this but ended up with nothing really concrete, except explanations of region codes, stuff for sale, etc. i understand that weights depend on the racket (eg. Ti-10 = 2U/3U, AT700 = 3U/4U), but it seems some grip sizes are almost non-existent in some areas. eg: in Australia (AS code), i managed to find a 3UG3 AT800DE, but searching online i couldn't locate one of these for SP code, largest i could find was a G4 in both 3U/4U (maybe because it's discontinued? but you get my drift right?). i'm wondering if this is a Yonex marketing thing (Asians have smaller hands? haha... *sigh* i'm Asian...), but can anyone verify?

i didn't know where to really put this question, so mods please relocate if necessary.

2. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    In Australia there are only two weight and grip sizes for AS coded rackets. 3UG4 and 4UG5.

3. jerby

jerby Regular Member

I guess it's dependant on demographic, and the choice of the distributor.

In china, G3 gripsizes probably won't sell all too well. In Holland, G5's are not available (yonex at least) and G4's are rare (mostly with a PL, GR, FR code)

But then, holland is among the tallest of nations (on average), so it figures that G3 is the standard here :p
    But then, other 'tall nations' like england and the USA, the distributor opted for a G4. And if everybody uses a G4 ever since they started to play baddy, it'll probably work well for them...
    I believe Denmark also has G3's mainly...but I'm not sure...

4. Dream Hai

Dream Hai Regular Member

I know the Karakal rackets from England only have 2 sizes...G2 (3.25 inches) and G3 (3.50 inches)...I have never seen anything larger than this 3.50 size....I have made grips larger using balsa wood and wood glue...even did one using pop cicle sticks...:D Racket weights are the same regardless of area...

5. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Down here in NewZealand, the available sizes are: G4 and G3.
    But up in Japan.. G4 and G5 are very commonly found. Some are even G6.
    Hmm.. right in between Japan and NewZealand.. Singapore.. the most commonly available size was G4.

6. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

the standard grip size for most of the yonex racquets racquets in the UK is G3, though for some of the armortecs you can get G4. G5 is non-existant.

7. tinned_ham

tinned_ham Regular Member

wow i've never heard of a G6 before. haha...

i guess that weights should be available across regions more readily than grip sizes anyway. it makes sense somewhat as chances are people would prefer to choose from among a higher distribution of racket weights than from a higher distribution of grip sizes?? i don't know exactly what marketing is thinking of when allocating what goes where - but is it Yonex that decides what goes where, or the distributor that decides what to order? (not laying blame on anyone)

on a related note, does anyone have an SP coded G3 racket (any weight)? i've failed to find one anywhere on the net, closest was a CP racket, but we know who those are supposedly made for...

8. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    The G6 grip size is only available in Japan.

9. Dream Hai

Dream Hai Regular Member

Do you have the size in inches for G-4,5 and 6 ???
    I really find it hard to figure how they can have such a large
    grip and still keep the balance correct...Maybe they use bigger hole inside the grip to reduce the weight to the same as that of the G-2...???:rolleyes:

10. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    I only got G4 and G5 but they both have different weights. Maybe it is the density of the material changes so that it can match the balance point of different grip and weight sizes.