User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KazeCloud View Post
    I don't have a problem dropping. I do mix it in. Sometimes its actually better to clear that drop instead isn't it? Yes it makes them run the most if you re drop their overhead drop, but if they know that and runs extremely fast to the net, you should clear it.
    The point of the different shots is to make your opponents miss it, even if they run fast to the front if you can get them there with a netshot then clear it would be far more effective then simply clearing which would allow your opponent an easier shot. There is also the strategy of forcing your opponent to move so they run out of stamina early making your game easier in the long term. The ideal type of play is a mixture of the two. Just my opinion anyways.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jerby View Post
    There's no single successful approach to singles, but I will say this: in 80% of the time, the most dangerous shot you can play is a short shot.
    Now, I don't mean to say "abolish all clears and lifts", please do not misrepresent me as such
    Of course, the short shots are only effective if the opponent knows that you may force them back with a clear or lifts.

Either way, clears and lifts are only effective with drops and netshots. Same with vice versa.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Fish View Post
    The point of the different shots is to make your opponents miss it, even if they run fast to the front if you can get them there with a netshot then clear it would be far more effective then simply clearing which would allow your opponent an easier shot. There is also the strategy of forcing your opponent to move so they run out of stamina early making your game easier in the long term. The ideal type of play is a mixture of the two. Just my opinion anyways.
    I was referring more to returning the opponents overhead drop. When they run forward I like to clear it back to them instead of dropping it. This would not systematically allow them an easier shot, and can be more devastating than dropping it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KazeCloud View Post
    I was referring more to returning the opponents overhead drop. When they run forward I like to clear it back to them instead of dropping it. This would not systematically allow them an easier shot, and can be more devastating than dropping it.
    My mistake, I thought you meant that if they were waiting for your shot, I didn't realise that in the scenario they were already running forward.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never too late to practice your drops. Gives you more angle and options. It's better to have an all round game. A good player will be laughing at you if you continue to play like that.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So is power or control better for single???

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I almost never smash in singles..... If I do smash it's only if I have an angle where the opponent is on one side of the court and I can smash to the other side. Otherwise, the only smash I use is to put pressure on the opponent.

If you get the hang of your dropshot, go for sliced cross dropshots while jumping works every time.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by john1994 View Post
    So is power or control better for single???
    Power and control isn't the answer for singles. Defense isn't the answer either.

It's a game to see who can hold on the longest while being under pressure, and who can turn that pressure into a advantage.

Two players for example are Lee Hyun Il and Peter Gade.
    Lee Hyun Il has nothing really special in power, attack or defense but look at his wonderful footwork and being able to stand any kind of pressure.
    Peter Gade doesn't have anything special in attack, defense or control but he also has amazingly calm footwork and he's famous for his deception moves.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by orangenetic View Post
    Power and control isn't the answer for singles. Defense isn't the answer either.

It's a game to see who can hold on the longest while being under pressure, and who can turn that pressure into a advantage.

Two players for example are Lee Hyun Il and Peter Gade.
    Lee Hyun Il has nothing really special in power, attack or defense but look at his wonderful footwork and being able to stand any kind of pressure.
    Peter Gade doesn't have anything special in attack, defense or control but he also has amazingly calm footwork and he's famous for his deception moves.
    I find your reply a little confusing. I agree that the ability to soak up pressure is very important. But to be able to do this without excellent defence and control of the shuttle is impossible. Unless you have a good attack, you are unlikely to be able to put enough pressure on your opponent to be able to beat them. But it all hinges around being able to defend against the opposing attack and cover the court.

I agree that power is not important.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well of course Power, Defense, Control is an essential skill but they do not have to be exceptionally good to be a good singles player.

Defense isn't as important in singles (As many say) because all you need to do is block one smash or two smashes at a time. That isn't hard if you have essential defense skills......in doubles however, if you keep lifting, you will get tons of smashes in a row in your face :P

Control(placement) is good to have in singles but having the right tactics for singles can cover that up. Just keep the opponent busy enough and give a surprise drive or lead the opponent to another side of the court and smash it to the other side. We probably won't need those "On the line" smashes we see in professional games.

This is just how I view it

But surely, it is best to raise Power, Defense, Control to maximum whether it is Doubles, Singles, Halfcourt practice matches or even playing badminton in your backyard

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

people say single is power more than control??

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Defense isn't as important in singles (As many say) because all you need to do is block one smash or two smashes at a time. That isn't hard if you have essential defense skills......in doubles however, if you keep lifting, you will get tons of smashes in a row in your face :P
    Lol. Your view of "essential" defence skills is very funny. I suppose that in doubles if you play blocked defence, you only need to defend against one smash at a time as well - no need to keep lifting.

I guess thats the secret? Just play tight cross court blocks on defence in singles and in doubles and you will never have to develop good defence. Just "essential" defence. Thanks

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i say power is easier just blast the shuttle without looking haha

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MSeeley View Post
    Lol. Your view of "essential" defence skills is very funny. I suppose that in doubles if you play blocked defence, you only need to defend against one smash at a time as well - no need to keep lifting.

I guess thats the secret? Just play tight cross court blocks on defence in singles and in doubles and you will never have to develop good defence. Just "essential" defence. Thanks
    When I wrote "All you need to do is block one smash or two smashes at a time"

I meant blocking a smash as in the word block....not the technique to block a smash.(Come on my first language isn't English....I don't have a big word choice when I write ) Of course in doubles lifting smashes is a safer and wiser way than blocks.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I wrote "All you need to do is block one smash or two smashes at a time"

I meant blocking a smash as in the word block....not the technique to block a smash.(Come on my first language isn't English....I don't have a big word choice when I write ) Of course in doubles lifting smashes is a safer and wiser way than blocks.
    I wasn't criticising. I was agreeing - in singles you should play blocks rather than lifts. But in doubles that is also true - I believe you should play block shots in defence in doubles NOT lifts. Because lifts just let your opponent smash, whereas blocks allow you to counter attack.

The only point I was making, is that I believe in order to be able to consistently retrieve 1 or 2 smashes, you need to have very good defence anyway (from my point of view). However, where I consider this as good defence, you consider this as "essential" defence. And I found that funny - that I consider it difficult to cover the court when defending, whereas you consider it as part of "essential" defence skills.

There is nothing wrong with your english! I hope you understand why I found your post funny.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MSeeley View Post
    I wasn't criticising. I was agreeing - in singles you should play blocks rather than lifts. But in doubles that is also true - I believe you should play block shots in defence in doubles NOT lifts. Because lifts just let your opponent smash, whereas blocks allow you to counter attack.

The only point I was making, is that I believe in order to be able to consistently retrieve 1 or 2 smashes, you need to have very good defence anyway (from my point of view). However, where I consider this as good defence, you consider this as "essential" defence. And I found that funny - that I consider it difficult to cover the court when defending, whereas you consider it as part of "essential" defence skills.

There is nothing wrong with your english! I hope you understand why I found your post funny.
    Wouldn't the reason why Players lift smashes in doubles is because blocking smashes gives a higher chance to lead to a netkill? (because one player is waiting in front of the net looking for chances to netkill)

It's true that if someone can block smashes tight above the net enough that the opponent's front court player can't netkill it, the only choice they would have is to lift or netshot it. If the opponent lifts it, it would be your team's attacking chance.
    But I don't think even top players can block smashes tightly on the net if the smasher is someone like Fu Haifeng or JungJaeSung. So the safest bet would be to lift is as high as they can.

This again, is a personal view.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wouldn't the reason why Players lift smashes in doubles is because blocking smashes gives a higher chance to lead to a netkill? (because one player is waiting in front of the net looking for chances to netkill)

It's true that if someone can block smashes tight above the net enough that the opponent's front court player can't netkill it, the only choice they would have is to lift or netshot it. If the opponent lifts it, it would be your team's attacking chance.
    But I don't think even top players can block smashes tightly on the net if the smasher is someone like Fu Haifeng or JungJaeSung. So the safest bet would be to lift is as high as they can.

This again, is a personal view.
    You are correct - getting a block wrong in doubles leads to a kill opportunity. However, a cross court block is rarely killed. At the highest level of play, the top defenders frequently use cross court and straight blocks and drives - rather than lifts. Drives are even less risky than blocks because they normally get past the front player quicker.

You are correct that sometimes they lift. However, you cannot win the game by lifting, you need to counter attack with blocks and drives. The best defenders will use all types of defence. The indonesians have excellent defence, as do the Koreans. The players who keep lifting in defence normally lose though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast