How do you wrap your grip?

Discussion in 'Grip' started by Chia, May 12, 2002.

1. Chia

Chia Regular Member

High School
    i am not sure if this should be in the general forum or the equipment forum.

But how do you guys wrap your overwrap grips?
    -do you wrap it all the way up till it reaches the shaft. pros and cons of this
    -how do you overlap it? is it spaced out a lot, or spaced out half.
    -what kind over overwrap do you use? which one gives you good durability, yet has good grip.
    -do you flip your grip over and reuse it to get the most out of your money?

2. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    I don't wrap it up to the shaft. I think this is mainly a doubles thing.
    I space it out half because the size I get from doing that suits me
    I use a karakal PU super which I get cheap in the UK. They are reasonably durable and give me good grip.
    I don't turn it over and I spend far too much on replacing grips.

3. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    I wrap my grips as thin as possible, because I have better control of the racquet with a thin handle. This means that my overlap is around 0.3 cm. I even removed the original grip that comes with the racquet to make it thinner, and wrapped the wood with a single layer of electrical tape to prevent anything from damaging the wood.

I usually use a Karakal Super PU grip, which lasts awhile and has good grip. Right now, I'm using the original grip off of my tennis racquet, and it seems to have good grip and durability.

The rare time I use a Yonex Grap, I flip it over to use the other side when I'm done using the first side.

Phil

4. Nic

Nic Regular Member

BCBF Member
    I dont wrap it up to the shaft either. I overlap about half a cm of the grip.
    I like the ProAce grip which I bought from Malaysia but I couldnt find any here. So, I use the Prince Duratred tacky grip. I am still looking around to find the grip that I like, been trying out different types but dont have any luck so far.

I like thin handle as well, but I dont remove the original grip for some reason.

by the way, do you guys have any color preference for your grip? My eye only set on certain color, either black, yellow, orange or blue.

#4 Nic, May 12, 2002
    Last edited: May 12, 2002
  5. Cruxradio

Cruxradio Regular Member

Guess they never recovered from jet-lag
    I use 3 wraps ontop of the base wrap
    I wrap each overlapped 1/2

Wrap size has no bearing on control, but whatever works for u.

6. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    I use Prince Duratred or Forza's overgrips over the factory grip. They are simply the best I have found. I put on two layers if it's the DuraTred, one if it's Forza (it's thicker than normal overgrips). I overlap them to slightly less than half the width. I wrap it 3-5 cm up the shaft, it gives better feel when I choke up on the handle. I try to put the grips on quite loose; it gives the softer, more tacky feel that I prefer.

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    mag, i like prince dura-tred too but i'm quite comfortable with most grips made by major brands.

8. Slanter

Slanter Regular Member

I used to like a thin grip but had to make it thicker because that way you don't have to grip it so hard, this avoids getting tennis elbow. I use a Karakal Cushy Grip wrapped half width down nearly to the shaft but pulled really tight to thin it out a little. I then use Tourna Grip over this as a replacable grip.

9. ZXZ

ZXZ Regular Member

Student
    I use Yonex Grap I try out a different colour as often as possible :D

10. Xuser

Xuser Regular Member

Computer Network Analyst
    Someone told me that the way you wrap your grips depends also on left or right-handed player you are. i.e. if you start with the end of the racquet, you either go from left to right or right to left. Is this true or does it makes a difference? To me, I don't think there is a difference but that IMHO :D

11. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    There is a difference. If you wrap it the "wrong" way the overlaps won't be aligned with your fingers, and that feels weird.

12. TDotSmAsHer

TDotSmAsHer Regular Member

Student Gr 11 in Sept.------- badminton player/ad
    How do you wrap a grip for Right Handers? I've never taken into consideration that it had to start a certain way... I just wrap from bottom to top. :)

13. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Really, this is not a big issue. But Xuser specifically asked about it... :) If it's a very thin grip it hardly matters, but with a thicker grip you might need to consider the wrapping direction.

All factory grips (at least that I have come across) are wrapped for right-handers. The direction is perhaps best illustrated by an image (below).

This way the overlaps will align with the thumb and the finger tips.

Attached Files:

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    on a related note, what type of do everyone prefer? the ridged type that is shown in Mag's picture, or the flat type?

i have always used the flat type and find the ridge type uncomfortable to my taste.

15. Nic

Nic Regular Member

BCBF Member
    I only use the flat type. The type that shown on the picture is hard for me to move the fingers around, just like the tacky type of grip.

A lot of people in this forum said they prefer the tacky type of grip. To me, I find it is hard to play with. My hand dont sweat a lot or at all sometimes, so, I use the "dry feel" type of grip.

16. Chia

Chia Regular Member

High School
    the ridged type gave me blisters on my hand, so i use the flat ones

17. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    to Cruxradio

Cruxradio,

When I say that a thinner grip/handle gives me more control, I don't mean it helps me places my shots better as in that kind of control. I mean that I find it easier to move the racquet around through ranges of motion, and it is also easier for me to change finger position. A factor may be that I have small hands.

Phil

18. TrunkZ69

TrunkZ69 Regular Member

Student
    I use the flat grip. I like a thinner grip also. It is easier to switch from backhand to forehand. I use the Yonex grap they sell in my area. I tend to use like maybe 3/5 or 3/4 of the amount of grpi they give me. Maybe even a bit less. Depends. I really dislike the ridged grip though, it hurts. Towel grip isn't acutally that bad, but it wears out a little too quickly.

19. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    I think the wrist movement is over-rated because in technical terms, the most power (on forehand shots) actually comes from forearm pronation(rotation) in an anti-clockwise direction.

Full arm movement will still get the job done powerwise(from my own XP), but it takes a bigger toll on the shoulders!

20. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    I've been using the ridged type with the original grip off and I find that there's a degree of control to it that is not there in comparison to flat ones. Perhaps this had a lot to do with it being rather thin, with the ridges helping to keep my grip in place. It's good for control-play, but I can feel some vibration from the racquet whenever I do shots that require power.

I think I'll switch back to flat the next time the ridged one needs to be replaced.