Playing badminton in Valencia, CA

Discussion in 'USA West' started by baddyfan, Jun 17, 2008.

1. baddyfan

baddyfan New Member

Hello Folks,
    Are there members residing in Valencia (northern suburb of los angeles) who would like to play badminton in Valencia. I have found a gym (at center pointe parkway) which has facility of badminton courts.
    Please let me know if there would be folks interested to play then we can just book the courts (fee is based "hourly" court use and not per person).
    Thank you!

2. wickeddrop

wickeddrop Regular Member

How much is it? I live in Northridge but i may be interested if there is a decent turnout.

3. baddyfan

baddyfan New Member

Hi,
    It is probably $7 for the court per hour. I can confirm and let you know. Thanks.

4. wickeddrop

How many courts and is it a dedicated or shared with basketball court?

5. pramana

pramana Regular Member

I like the ideas, but there are some questions:

1. How many courts are available?
    2. What is the day and time available (consistent schedule or based on availability)?
    3. Are the court nets & poles available or members have to bring the equipments?

As you know, the Valley College gym is currently closed. The Pierce College is only available on Saturday evening, which is beyond capacity (6 courts only with 50 or more players are waiting consistently :crying:).

6. baddyfan

baddyfan New Member

I will try to gather all info and post it.Thanks

7. pramana

pramana Regular Member

If this is the address:
    George A. Caravalho Santa Clarita Sports Complex
    20870 Centre Pointe Parkway
    Santa Clarita, CA.

I am sorry to say, it is no longer available. There are only squash, basketball and volleyball.

8. baddyfan

baddyfan New Member

That's bad luck then! :(

9. pramana

pramana Regular Member

If you are seriously looking for the options, you probably can contact the Canyon College Sport & Recreation Department or discuss your intention to the coaches or maintenance crews in there for one or two days in a week for few hours of badminton. Evening time is pretty empty, except basketball season.

The indoor gym in there has badminton lines on the floor. I have the feeling it has the poles and net, if needed.

I also think it will be easier, if you can gather some signatures from students in that college to support your proposal, plus you are a resident of the community :cool:

10. wickeddrop

pramana,

Do you live in the valley?

11. pramana

pramana Regular Member

Yes, I live in the Valley.

The following is my assumption to approach this proposal (probably it is excessive, but I think it is the appropriate way ;):
    1. Survey the gym for at least two weeks. See if your "time-schedule" is already been taken by other activities.
    2. Gathered some signatures, especially the students and it is better if you can get from professors, faculties, alumni etc. You may start by posting flayer/ notes on campus with your phone numbers/ emails.
    3. Once you have enough signatures (probably on the beginning you can get 10 or more), approach any of coaches (they could be basketball, baseball, etc) and communicate your intention. See their reactions and feedbacks.
    4. Visit the office of Dean of Sport & Recreation and schedule an appointment. Talk to some staff members for this kind of projects, if any of them had heard or done before.
    5. If you get the appointment, you may bring some of the students/ faculties who signed your petitions to support your proposal.
    6. Do not scare to open the "mouth" if you are willing to pay (you can calculate from "playing" fees). Do not bargain yet at this points. We are only gathering information at this stage.
    7. If there is rejection, asking what can we do to overcome the rejection and move on to the next topics. Do not argue and stay on the rejected topics.
    Note: Of course, the opening speech is pretty brief, that you want to develop healthy communities by providing one type of sports which the students and residents are looking to play in the area, but there is no facilities available, except this gym...
    The rest is using your charms and smiles :)

Good Luck!

12. pramana

pramana Regular Member

Some is Promising for Badminton in Valencia, CA

I contacted some local high schools in Valencia area and found out the following school is available:

[SIZE=+1]Saugus High School[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]9 reviews - Write a review[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]21900 Centurion Way[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Saugus, CA 91350[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1](661) 297-3900‎
    [/SIZE][SIZE=-1](661) 297-7491‎ - Fax

According to the Athletic Director, there are 4 indoor courts available. I am currently arranging the time table for the availability of these courts for badminton.

1st, I need to know how many of you are interested to join this new club?
    2nd, What is your preferred schedule? I like Saturday or Sunday afternoon or evening.

PM me or email me to confirm your participation!

Issue: The system is like a voting. If we can gather large participants, we will be put on the higher lists to book the courts (of course below school events/ activities). So, we have to come out with decent numbers or participants to convince them if this program will be a consistent event.

Thanks,

[/SIZE]

13. roncast152

roncast152 New Member

Hi, i just joined the group and live in castaic.

I played badminton in high school i was wondering if you guys ended up getting the gym?

14. pramana

pramana Regular Member

Well, there are two high school gyms in Valencia/ Saugus area, which have badminton court lines. After delay and multiple emails correspondences, I finally got to the last hurdle which I cannot solve myself.

The city is asking for US$1 million dollar liability insurance (see attached file). In addition, there will be facility usage fees, which I was told by the school to be around $300.00 per usage.

So, if you can help me to get the liability insurance, I will pursuit the process again and hope it will be no other big hurdle.

thanks,

Attached Files:

15. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^You may try..^^

..contacting another BC member, harimau. I believe he was able to "rent" a public school's gym for badminton usage (in O.C.). Not sure though about the process, as different cities/counties/school districts may require different set of rules/restrictions.
    But just know that, in CA/U.S., in general, there will be strict rules/requirements (esp. for liability/insurance), for a public facility usage, which we have to adhere to.

Hope, that'll help a bit. Sorry, wish to help further.:(
    But best of luck in securing the facility usage & hope to hear more good news!

#15 ctjcad, Sep 10, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  16. pramana

pramana Regular Member

Well, the process is getting complicated :rolleyes:.
    After discussing the concern of liability insurance to "Harimau", I received another email from the city asking for copy of the 501 3c letter from the IRS showing Non-Profit status in order to keep the cost to custodial OT.

Does anyone familiar with this 501 3c paperwork?

PM me or let me know...

Thanks

17. musicistheflow

musicistheflow New Member

Hello.

I just joined, and live in Valencia. My wife and I have been dying to play, but find it too incovenient to go all the way to Pierce or Valley College. Was there still any opportunity to set up at College of the Canyons?

18. pramana

pramana Regular Member

Hi Music:

Checkout Saugus High School Gym. Try to talk to coaches if you can use the side court for badminton. There is a screen divider in there, which will not disturb the basketball or volleyball training, in case they are in season.

If you can reserve consistent time and day, I may be able to pull some players to join you.

Good Luck!

19. fahm1

fahm1 New Member

Hi guys and gals..

Any news/updates on this? I just moved to the area and looking to play but no luck on that.

Thanks!

20. pramana

pramana Regular Member

Fahm,

Please contact the principal of this high school and see if you have better luck:
    [SIZE=+1]Saugus High School[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]9 reviews - Write a review[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]21900 Centurion Way[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Saugus, CA 91350[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1](661) 297-3900‎
    [/SIZE][SIZE=-1](661) 297-7491‎ - Fax
    [/SIZE]