My Training Schedule

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Abhorsen, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Regular Member

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if my training schedules alright, here it is:
    Monday, Wednesday, Friday:
    7:00AM Ten minute warmup and stretches, 7:10 Fifty minutes of laps around 400m track, 8:00-1:00PM School, 1:00-3:00 private lesson (footwork, endurance, technique, games), 3:00-5:20 Rest and Food, 5:20-5:30 warmup and stretches, 5:30-7:00 Group lessons (footwork, technique, games), 7:00-9:00 games.
    Tuesday, Thursday:
    7:00AM Ten minute warmup and stretches, 7:10 Fifty minutes of laps around 400m track, 8:00-3:00PM School, 3:00-5:00 Weight Training, 5:00-7:00 Footwork, 7:00-9:00 Games.
    Saturday, Sunday:
    6:00-7:00 Skipping, situps, and pushups, 7:00-8:00 Weight Training, 8:00-1:00 Games, 1:00-5:00 Footwork.

If you have any comments or suggestions I'd be happy to hear them.

2. andrew chan

andrew chan Regular Member

I think that you need to slot in rest somewhere there, since just sleep isn't enough. I think you need at least 1 or 2 off days during the week, so your muscles have time to rest and develop after your intense training breaks them down. Muscles only grow if you give it rest, the work is just to break them down. Rest so they come back more powerful.

3. Lefty23

Lefty23 Regular Member

Professional
    Definitely squeeze a rest day in there.

A week into the program, listen to your body and adjust the schedule accordingly. You don't want to overtrain and injure yourself. Trust me, I know.

Make sure your diet is aligned with your training regimen. Have enough nutrients and water so you can rebuild quickly between sessions.

4. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Regular Member

Ok I'll take that into consideration, do you have any suggestions about which days I should use to rest?

5. andrew chan

andrew chan Regular Member

whenever your body feels like it needs, it is my advice, but if it were me doing this, id pick saturday and sunday, since its always good to have a social life and chill, while also maintaining ur badminton life. The last thing you want is to overtrain and burn out ur muscles

6. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    wow....your schedule's so intensive and it's like some military regimentation...

As lefty said...adjust the schedule accordingly to your body's signals....Only you know yourself best.

7. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

I would slot in some pilates and an extra weights session instead of all those 50 minute runs.

How old are you?

8. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Regular Member

I don't really see how this is important but I'm 13.

9. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

It is important to know your age. Your schedule is far too intensive for a developing body especially now as you're going into puberty. You need more rest days between workouts.

10. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Physical training is 5% stimulation (e.g. doing exercises) and 95% recovery and restoration. If you plan to do that much training, then you must have a huge recovery plan to keep yourself from wearing down.

One mistake I think many people make (some inexperienced coaches too) when they go from 1 day to 3 days to 5 days a week is to simply copy the 1 day/week workout for each day. This stems from a poor understanding of how fatigue affects the player.

I figure that a hard badminton training session takes about 4 days to fully recover from. So, if you only train 1-2 times a week, go all out. If you train 3 or more, you must make adjustments to keep yourself able to perform at a high level. Stuff like massages, good nutrition, better base fitness will help to a certain point, but the most critical thing is managing your training volume smartly.

For example, you might cut down the volume of training each day. After the first day you might not feel that tired but by the fifth you will - except that this way the average quality of training will be higher. Or, keep training at full volume to overload your body, then take an extended break (1 week off) to recover. These are both valid ways to manipulate training volume.

11. mojopin

mojopin Regular Member

Medical student
    you will not be able to maintain that for more than a week without burning out and probably injuring yourself and getting sick. Im doing about a third of that, and im pretty fit , and im still tired all the time getting aches and pains.

Also, 2 hours of weights? 4 hours footwork? i think thats excessive. Have you tried to do 4 hours of footwork yet?

I dont want to discourage you,and i love seeing somebody taking training seriously but i think you should cut back and begin with something more realistic and build up. That way you will be able to maintain yourself.

If you dont believe me, as an experiment you can try your scedual and see how it goes for a week. I imagine most people wont be able to get out of bed by thursday or Friday.

12. robc06

robc06 Regular Member

Editor
    Have you consulted a coach about your training schedule?

Any coach will tell you, you need to rest and listen to your body once a week.

As mentioned above in another post. You need to taper your training schedule for your goals. If your goal is to play in tournaments throughout the year, you shoud plan a training schedule for that tournament, roster whatever.

You have a pre season, beginning of season, mid season and end of season.
    Using the pre season for all your core strength, such as running long distance (not over 10k) between 4-10k runs. Sit ups, strength and conditioning.

Beginning of season you need to develop your oxygen system. 5-6 days a week. Running 8x400metres. Continuous footwork 5 minutes footwork to 4 minutes footwork, 3 minutes and 2 minutes footwork. Much like a phartlec run.

Mid Season you begin to build your lactate system, oxygen system. 4-5 days a week. You syhould have devleoped your strength and stamina in pre and beginning of season. Also hittign drills, drills drills drills and drills. Drills maybe boring but it's the cornerstone of any good player. Being able to hit the same shot 20 times into the same posistion.

End of Season you shyouldnt need to train more than 3-4 times a week, fine tuning your shots.

This is only a guide. Mine is a bit more developed than this but I think you should get the general idea. If you wanted help in putting together a training schedule I might be able to put one together for you.

As I said it depends on your goals and what you want to achieve. I play in 7-8 tournaments per year, besides normal roster and my training routine is developed just for that.

13. b2harath2

b2harath2 Regular Member

bAdminton student
    1:00-5:00 Footwork

Very good if u can sustain this for i whole month but how do you do footwork training for 4 hours . I do for 45mins but I do it everday.I really doubt if U can do that for 4hours. U will faint

14. Michael-Lam

Michael-Lam Regular Member

Student / Badminton Coach
    this is insane..

15. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Regular Member

I've been doing this routine for a few months already and I've had no issues at all. Perhaps you simply need to work on your stamina.

16. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    :eek:this looks more like the training schedule for a badminton prodigy in China rather than someone in Alberta

17. Elixau

Elixau Regular Member

Wow... Are you ranked first in Alberta Abhorsen?

18. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

Being fit is obviously very important, however you have to strike a balance between fitness and spending quality time for technique practices, and training for speed and power. Tiredness will have a negative affect on the quality of the latter two. The biggest problem I have with your schedule is those 50 minute runs. I would prefer you spent 25 minutes of doing short sprints, ie interval training with rest between each set.

Time you invest now at your age perfecting your technique and footwork is a much better investment. As you get older you will need to spend more time on fitness probably than on technique, so now is the time for technique. There are many techniques to learn, not just racquet skills, biomechanically speaking. Running, throwing, agility. Participation in a varied sports program will give you transferable skills.

19. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    great explaining. just a few points i'd like to ask on that. you mentioned you should adjust your load so you can maintain performing at high levels, so rest should be applied proportionally to the load you are doing during training. my question is, what about during off season? during that time, you don't really need to perform as there are no tournaments, and other than training, you'll most likely only go to a club once a week. would you still worry about resting to allow for full recovery so you can play better? or worry less about level of play?

also, i noticed, when i do some hard training, then take 1 week or so off, i have even worse court fitness levels during the first time i play, i.e. when playing i have less stamina. it might be due to the fact my body needs to be reconditioned to badminton. however, within 2 days or so of starting again, at my next game time, i play far far better. any thoughts?

20. Dead Fish

Dead Fish Regular Member

Teacher
    Wow you're crazy and most likely dead tired all the time. Give yourself some rest days.