Advice on my technique please - Video -

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by mojopin, Jun 19, 2008.

1. mojopin

mojopin Regular Member

Medical student
    Hey,
    Coaches are hard to come by over here (ie. there are none) and getting anyone to sort out my awful technique is close to impossible to im turning to BC to give me some tips. I videoed this last week, just a few easy smashes, maybe , 70- 75% of full power. I watched it and was not pleased with what i saw. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C92xYYcnCeY

So im trying to find all the problems and so far i have -

1- backswing? im not really sure im even making a backswing, as it seems im just pushing forwards to hit it. only in one of the smashes could i pause it and see my racket touching my back . So does anyone else think this? Whats a good way to fix it? What should you think to yourself to force yourself to backswing (e.g. i must touch my racket off my back during this shot or something )

2. rubbish use of feet. Its not terrible, but definatly inconsistantly using my body weight, and not properly. Opinions?

3. not following through?

4. body collapsing forward - i think it looks like im slouching forwards- bending at the waist, and it looks strange. should i be keeping my back straight ?

Anyway, thanks for any comments, but id really like to sort out my technique, cause my feet are getting faster and faster but its my shot production that seems to let me down the most.

2. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    im no expert or coach but ave watched a lot of pros and training dvds, 1 main thing i can see is the use of your free arm, its good that you put it up when the shuttle is coming at you but you don't move it in tandem with your racket arm.
    When ur racket arm is coming up, ur free arm shud come back so that the two are opposite al the time. Rite now you put it down by ur face or chest.

U are still facing forward too much in my opinion, try & stand more side on, esp when u are coming back for the smash, start the side on movement early in the movement & reali twist or jump into the shuttle to get the power :cool:;).

3. chen0019

chen0019 Regular Member

1. I feel that when you hit the shuttle, it is not direct impact, there is some sort of sliding (dont know if this is true)

2. When you move backward, it is more advisable with your side facing the net, more agile.

3. If this is smash, I dont fee feel the impulse when you hit the shuttle. And the racket should go all the way down in the full swing

4. It may be better if you are slightly behind the shuttlecock when you smashed -- easier to utilize your power. Though professionals may not do this, they are able to use their waist power fully

Just some non-professional comments, my observation may not be correct

4. mojopin

mojopin Regular Member

Medical student
    ya, definatly noticed i wasnt moving "side on" at training tonight. Very awkward feeling, now i realise it. Watchign the video again, im almost facing the net square as i set up the shot. Thats a good point, thanks.

Left arms badly coordinated too. well noticed .

Any comments on the backswing? Is it enough? If not, should i worry about correcting it, or will it come naturally as i correct my body position? Tonight i was getting the feeling that my racket was moving ahell of a lot faster after i hit the shuttle and hadnt really gotten up to speed yet when i made contact.

Any more comments would be appriciated thanks.

#4 mojopin, Jun 19, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  5. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    alright just something that i notice that im not so fond of. alright so when you are moving back to hit your smash from the video what do you notice about the position of your racquet?

heres what it is, when your moving back you always have your racquet down by the ground then when you get back and are ready to hit the shot you start to bring it up and then hit your shot.

basically when your going to hit your shot when your moving back your racquet should already be up/back ready to hit the shot when the time comes. reason being because if you have to bring it up thats wasted time and in a game situation you wont always have all the time in the world to get ready for the shot if your pressured by a shot they play. I cant make out much of the swing itself just cause its a video and the angle a bit but im not sure if your twisting your racquet when you come back.

some small stuff is get behind the shuttle more and make sure that its infront of you when youir contacting it, its not like its bad in this video you seem to be trying to do that. im not sure if your trying to do a scissor kick in there or what, if your trying to do a scissor kick you might want to make sure that befor eyou hit all the weight is on the backfoot then kick through and land push off of your non racqet foot.

i dont mean anything bad at all when i say any of that to you just strictly commenting on it from a coaching stand point, simpley things like that. when i teach programs its easier to explain since can show in person and all that. typing out and trying to do it that way is not as easy for me but yeah hope most of it made some sense. Keep practicing and refining your technique and keep playing.

6. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Work on your follow-through. They are not smooth/natural enough, and some are too long, such as like a serve in tennis.

7. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    I don't think its possible to see very clearly when you swing so fast and on camera. But Jhirata is right. The thing that looks the worst in your swing is the follow through. It lacks finesse.

8. mojopin

mojopin Regular Member

Medical student
    good good. Thanks people. Ill work on it, and maybe in a few months might repost a new one and see hows its come along.

9. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

You could as well post a video of you playing a game of singles against somebody, so that we can analyse your footwork, tactics, etc too :)

10. senunkan

senunkan Regular Member

Programmer
    I am no expert but would like to offer my 2 cents of opinion.
    Firstly, I could not see very clearly, so my opinion might not apply.
    Please ignore this if it doesnt apply.

1) I get this feeling that your grip might not be the best grip. See (2)
    2) That wasn't enough pronation.
    It was more like a full swing of arm only.
    Without a good pronation the swing impact wont be transfered effciently to the shuttle.
    That translates to a weaker smash.
    Also swinging hard on your arm is more injury-prone for the shoulder joint.

11. Michael-Lam

Michael-Lam Regular Member

Student / Badminton Coach
    you're not swinging forward, and it looks like you're trying to force the shuttle down

12. gendruw

gendruw Regular Member

my suggestion:
    try to lift your elbow as high as possible to generate more power.

13. vinjy

vinjy Regular Member

student
    where did ur shuttles go ? does it smash down or float

14. mojopin

mojopin Regular Member

Medical student
    shuttles go down, decent angle. The video doesnt show them very well. I notice that when i play games my smash is much more natural and i get much more power, even when im playing it out of position. "thinking" about the technique here seems to end up making me play it worse. But lifting the elbow is really good advice. Its making a difference. Thanks:)