Thread: Buying fake racquets
06-19-2008, 09:58 AM #1
Buying fake racquets
I had a conversation with Yonex sales a while before on the subject of sales in china. Yonex actually sales more US coded badminton racquet than CH coded racquet. It is very sad to see that china as a such badminton power and with such high badminton population, majority of the user knowingly or unknowingly buy fake Yonex racquet. If you can not afford a genuine Yonex, get SOTX or APAC or some other brands.
If this post offends anyone, I am sorry, I did not mean to to so. I am just point out that you should buy a racquet that suit your ability and budget, not just the name brand. When I was a student, I do not have enough money to buy good racquets, so I work hard the whole summer (file paper for 1 job and fast food store in the other) and save enough money to buy a AR80 and R-24 (tennis). So buy a racquet that performs good, not to look good. For those members know how to ID fake racquet, please educate those who does not know in their club. This will also slow down the spread of fake goods in china and help her clean up it's image.
06-19-2008, 10:07 AM #2
racquets are just the tip of the fake iceberg.
i'm not sure it is possible to stop the counterfeit trade anymore.
06-19-2008, 10:12 AM #3
well somepeople just like to show off with their fake racket .. not really play with them. some just want to have it in their back when they going to lend it to someone .. without giving someone else the real stuff :P
06-19-2008, 01:26 PM #4
Sorry to be a bit off topic, but aside of purchasing fakes, I believe there are other factors contribute to the result:
1. China has more local brands, which offers cheaper alternate for ppl. In US, Yonex is pretty much the monoply, as other brands have very little marketing ads. Once you have 1 market has 1 brand, the other packed with 50, you will know why.
2. US$200 is reasonably affordable, even for a HS student in US. US$200 is very much un-affordable, even for a badminton addict who has a decent job in CHN.
3. In US, there's pretty much only 1 code available, which is US. The cloest "neighbor" you have, is "CD", but usually much more expensive.
4. In CHN, I believe many ppl can easily obtain other codes such as HK, SP, IP, JP or maybe even TW. Even in www.bbesports.com site, you can easily get a SP / JP racket. This further divide up "CH" shares.
Personally, I won't do an analysis base on "US" vs "CH", as it's no where accurately reflecting the actual market share.
06-20-2008, 01:02 AM #5
Fakes r so popular in china because their income level is way much below the western countries.Average ppl's income is below 200USD..that's for sure.Moreover,majority ppl who uses fake rackets r the beginners,those who were not thinking about what's the best n stuff..just aiming for the low price.For example:Genuine yonex,1000rmb.Fake yonex,60rmb.Apacs,Sotx,Kason,Kawasaki,flexpro,bonn y,etc..range between 200-300..for the lower price.If i'm a beginner who doesnt really play too much badminton n in a budget,of course i'll buy the fake yonex..just because of that.
06-20-2008, 01:42 PM #6
since fake make more sales and as long as the real stuff are highly priced, fake racket sales won't come to an end, imo.
i just wish the real deal aren't highly priced since after hearing a lot of people on here always breaking them while playing. i have a fake ns9000x for one year now and still work perfect how it was the day i got it with original string.
06-20-2008, 01:43 PM #7
LazyBuddy is correct, I think they sell as many SP rackets as the CH rackets in China.
And like the other said, there are many other brands around in China, and Yonex is probably the more expensive brand among them. Considering that top Yonex model sells for US200, while average an average worker earn something between US500 to 1000 per month in a big city, he probably won't get Yonex rackets anyway. Imagine you are paying US600 for the AT-900.......
Anyway, sales figures are not very reliable as the flow goods nowadays is pretty unpredictable.
06-20-2008, 02:07 PM #8
1) I do not feel it is right to justify buying fake because the price deferential is high. There are local brand in china that is cheap also, why not buy yhem and help them out? That is how Taiwan build up their own brands.
2) Yes, SP coded prob out sold any other dist code. However, I would like to point out that fake one prob out sold real one 2 to 1 in china even including SP coded.
3) I am not asking people to buy YY. I am asking people to buy real name brand because they are better racquet for the money and for the long run. Also, helps build up chinese name brand.
4) For those who live in western countries and buying fake goods, please read my first post. You may think I am stupid to work so hard over the summer to save money to buy 2 racquets. However, it is the pride and joy that I cherish from spending my hard earned money. And I have good memories of using them and they mean a lot to me.
06-20-2008, 02:44 PM #9
06-20-2008, 02:46 PM #10
Agreed. Buy the real thing instead of getting "worked" because of getting your money jacked by purchasing a fake which costs chump change and paying more than what its worth!!
Last edited by Matt; 06-20-2008 at 02:49 PM.
06-21-2008, 03:31 AM #11
I am sorry to say, but is selling more US coded yonex than CH meaning a lot of people buy fake?
06-21-2008, 03:43 AM #12
Hmm I guess the point is, there is not many people buying the fake yonex racket in China, they only selling them to other courntries. I was playing badminton in china for 3 years and I never see any people using a fake Yonex and also everyone it's a expert they can tell you how to indentifly how does the fake one look like.
06-21-2008, 04:18 AM #13
support the pirates!
support the pirates!
support the pirates!
i will be banned soon.........
as grandmaster SH said, if the sales of US coded is more, that means badminton popularity in USA is much much better nowadays!!
Smichz has a good point. those people just get whatever the cheapest that they can get. as long as it is a badminton racket. furthermore it is yonex look-a-like. fake or no fake, still can be use.
it will be hard for them to change the mindset.
06-21-2008, 04:56 AM #14
If the fakes performed just as good as the real rackets and i would buy hundreds since they would only be 1/20 of the price and i would become the Marit Safin of badminton through my anger
06-21-2008, 04:57 AM #15
no LD and TH involved here.
06-21-2008, 06:39 AM #16
I have never used a fake Yonex, since we seldom have problem getting the real stuff (lucky us in Hong Kong and in the UK). I can tell you that it is really hard to find the fake stuffs unless you buy it online or go across the border into China. But like radar s said, there are very few players in China that use fake YYs. I had many mainland Chinese friends back in the days of graduate school, they always always use the real deal, I think they are even more obsessed in getting the real deals than most. YY means 'THE' brand to get, like LV, Gucci.
06-21-2008, 11:58 AM #17
True..just like i said,ppl in china who bought fake yonex r usually beginners.When they get better,they'll buy something else that's better.May it be apacs,flexpro,yonex,sotx,kason,etc..
Another fact is that CH is not that popular in china,since it has a bad reputation for its paint job.Demands for TW,SP,IP,TH,JP is higher than the CH in the genuine yonex market.Ppl tend to be willing to spend a lil bit more to get something other than the CH.
By riceworld in forum Market PlaceReplies: 5: 01-18-2011, 09:33 PM
By __Lam in forum Market PlaceReplies: 7: 04-05-2006, 12:33 AM
By lightsmash in forum Badminton Rackets / EquipmentReplies: 12: 01-03-2005, 12:35 AM
By Feng_MP-100 in forum Chit-ChatReplies: 30: 11-01-2004, 02:08 AM
By karramella in forum Market PlaceReplies: 14: 10-12-2004, 08:43 PM