Malaysia should field original doubles players

Discussion in 'Thomas/Uber Cup 2002' started by ALI, May 14, 2002.

1. ALI

ALI Regular Member

Student
    Hi. Anybody out there have the same feeling as me: Malaysia should field Chan Chong Ming/Chew Choon Eng as the 1st doubles and Choong Tan Fook/Lee Wan Wah as the 2nd doubles in the future TC matches? I'm don't think they should form scratch pairs again. First of all, the scratch pairs can't seem to partner each other well. Secondly, eventhough I know who is Candra/Sigit, but maybe Chong Ming/Choon Eng can win them! It's already at least 6 months since they last meet. Besides, maybe Lee Wan Wah/Choong Tan Fook, who have stronger partnership, can beat Indonesia's Halim/Trikusharyanto!

:rolleyes: Just hope they can beat China and go into the finals to meet Indonesia...

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    ALI, it is certainly very difficult to read the minds of the great Park. besides, he must have his reasons. remember that he spent day and night with these guys, playing and training them, and he knows even better than the players themselves what form they are in. perhaps in his opinion, that's the best formation to play?

it would be interesting to find out why he decided to split it though..

3. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    Park Joo Bong may want to split the doubles to even out both doubles after he saw China's 2nd doubles beating Korea 2nd doubles. However, he may realize that the original doubles combo is better suited to the task so that China will lose one doubles for sure and then hope Choong/Lee can handle Zhang/Chen. As we witnessed, Koean head coach Kim Jong Soo gambled with his doubles split and it costed him!! So, if Malasyia keeps old combo China will lose 1st doubles but second doubles may be given a good run and perhaps even lose to Chinese. If Malaysia uses split doubles, then both doubles will be more even-strengthed in comparison to Chinese doubles. Malaysia could then possibly win both doubles, albeit close matches. However, using this split the players will not be playing with their natural partners and that may cause some disorientation as we witnessed in the Malaysia vs. Indonesia tie.

Either way, Park has to be sure of himself as there is no turning back on this!!

4. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

I don't think the split pairs played that bad,it's just that

the ina's were much better.

CTF and LWW, that's like the Battle of the Buldge!

Nt that Zhang Zun is any better.