Strong Forearm

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Tekkai, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Tekkai

Tekkai Regular Member

is a strong forearm impt? cauz i have read alot of post and they say lyk to hit a good shuttle 95% is technique and 5% is power. so i was wondering wad happens if u have a veri strong forearm? it does gives u and advantage rite? for example a overhead backhand clear, if ur technique is rite then u jus nid to use little strentgh to clear from base to base? if im wrong pls corret me.:) And those top class players lyk bao chunlai and taufik hidayat has very strong forearms rite?

2. Jon_Smasher

Jon_Smasher Regular Member

IT Comms
    From a coaching point of view technique is much more important than strength. First cincentrate on getting the right hitting technique - youll find the best shots come from the ones with little effort. Once you have technique you can use your strength to your advantage but you dont need to be a muscle man to hit hard. I am known for my power play but I am not exactly what i would call a muscle man!!

3. Tekkai

Tekkai Regular Member

oh ok thx..i usually have problems wif my overhead backhand clear..you have to position urself well and swing ur arm n flick ur wrist rite? u have to move ur body too, am i rite? or izzit jus about flicking the wrist? cauz when i swing my body abit it can hit from base to base but the actions isn't gd looking, but when i use my wrist only it can only hit the most 3/4 court..so if you noe the proper technique pls tell me thx!

4. Jon_Smasher

IT Comms
    ok backhand clears - my way:

Standard backhand clear - not under too much pressure.

Getting your body behine the shuttle and having your back facing the net is important. Also timing is critical in a couple of ways:

having your racket foot land as you hit the shuttle, and also impact time.

the action should be totally relaxed and the power comes from the wrist rebound action (like a towel whip). Big wild swings will get you no where. Your arm only moves the racket head in to position - the head speed comes from power in wrist - same with most shots.

Use a forehand grip or have your thumbs down the side of the bevel - i dont use a backhand grip for clears or drops simple because your wrist does not naturally rotate that way. One of my coaches Nathan Rice who is a top english singles player taught me this.

If you find yourself under such pressure you are atruggling to get behind the shuttle -i.e if youve been caught out by a good shot - use the thumb down the side of the bevel grip as you can get round the shuttle easier and hit a straight shot.

5. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Since forearm rotation generates the majority of the power in a badminton stroke, having muscles which can generate explosive power in your forearms is very beneficial.

That being said, you need the technique to generate the full power from your forearms to have a lot of power.

6. Jon_Smasher

IT Comms
    agreed - but the most impotant thing is technique. I have a strong forearm but i dont rely on big swings to generate power - simply correct technique and snap of writst.

7. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    At an amateur level, increasing your forearm's muscle has little if any contribution for increasing smash speed. The power and muscle required to perform the smash is already there.

8. Tekkai

Tekkai Regular Member

haha thx guys! this is impt information to me.i think i should improve my technique first before i think about power!tyty

9. Moggy

Moggy Regular Member

if you're smashing properly your forearm will naturally get MUCH bigger :D