pushups-beneficial to forearm power and bigger smashes?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Sgbad, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    Guys, as what the title says, Does pushups help in overall forearm power and better smashes? Taking that i have all my techniques right. Does it help in overall forearm power? If it helps, what is the best way to do the pushups? I guess i am doing it wrongly as I have done 3sets of 20 for the past 2days(its been a year since i last did pushups), now, i feel my triceps are sore, but not my biceps. Please advise.

2. CG 99

CG 99 Regular Member

student
    the reason your triceps are sore is because push ups only work your triceps and chest, not your biceps. Biceps arent essential for badminton and push ups are a great bodyweight exervise for improving overall strength so certainly keep doing them everyday and try to increase the number you do gradually. If u want to improve forearms then pull ups are good and they work your biceps as well or do wrist curls with a small weight!

3. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    It will help to an extreme minimum. It will not generate any visual smash speed. So it is somewhat beneficial, but its an extremely inefficient way to increase smash.

People become inclined on an answer that tells you to lift these kind of weights for these sort of muscles for a faster smash. Everybody wants this answer because lifting weights is easy, you can do it for hours and hours. And if doing push ups actually help with a faster smash, wouldn't we all do them non-stop all day? Lifting weights alone will not give you a fast smash. If you are smashing with incorrect technique, no sort of training on muscle is going to help you that much. Likewise, when you practice technique over and over again, that alone can increase your smash tremendously and increase your smash exponentially. The thing is, it is much harder to learn and perfect a technique, than doing push ups.

4. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    to improve general strength, its great, i do push ups, chin ups and pull ups. Heres a good guide to push ups

http://hundredpushups.com/

My smashes have improved a lot but ive improved my technique, im twisting more into it and reali using the shoulder more but it makes sense that the stronger you are the more power you can impart into your shots providing you ave decent technique.

Think about the times where you ave no time to make a good technique shot and ave to relie on pure strength, this is where i believe being strong helps, mayb am wrong thou lol :p

5. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    As other have said, pushups don't do much for your biceps for your forearms.

This is not true. You need your biceps to bend your arm at the elbow. It is true that they are not used in an explosive manner to generate power for most badminton shots. However, the biceps play an important part in supination of the forearm, especially when the arm is bent.

You can see this for yourself by bending your arm about 90 degrees and then rotating the forearm. When you pronate the forearm, the biceps relax; when the forearm is supinated, the biceps noticeably contract. When supination is used for your backhand, the biceps might very well me an important part of power production.

6. O.henry

O.henry Regular Member

High School
    to improve your smash; find a really tall wall and clear against that. Don't use much arm but more wrist because smashes are more about angle rather then speed but both would be nice :]

7. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Well, if you want to strengthen your biceps with pushups, try putting your hands near your hips. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz7M0nu2gwU

If you want to improve finger strength, you can do fingertip pushups.

8. jafffa

jafffa Regular Member

Sorry if i am incorrect i'm only guessing. But does this mean that the triceps help in "pronation" and therfore doing pushups will increase your smash power?

Also while i'm at it are the pectorals used in any significant level in any shot?

9. RacketlonCanada

RacketlonCanada Regular Member

Racketlon.ca webmaster
    Stumbling feet has a good advice, if you bring your arms closer to your body you will do triceps and biceps push-ups. If you widen your arms you will do pecs push-ups. Closed pushups are better for badminton, but you should mix both.

And if you haven't guessed already, push-ups are not good for forearm. Rather do wrist curls with weights or skipping rope (especially when you can start doing doubles or triples).

10. Big L4

Big L4 Regular Member

Student. Making a mental badminton encyclopedia.
    I disagree on the matter that push-ups are simply not good for rorearm, it actually depends on how you do with. What you need is to develop explosive muscles. So swift and explosive push ups are good. If you want more details, search for plyometrics (or plyometric exercices).

11. gustaff

gustaff Regular Member

Work
    You do know that the you use the bicep to bend the arm and teh tricep to straighten the arm... In badminton, the speed is generated partly by straightening you arm, not bending it. Therefore the tricep is MUCH more involved in a shot than the bicep. The only thing the bicep really helps with is when you get into position for the shot itself. :)

/G

12. chialinho

chialinho Regular Member

worker
    omg, i saw that clip, i am not so sure i can do that!! if i able to do the push up would that help me increase my smash stregth!!!

13. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

There's no wrist movement during normal pressups, so no help for the forearms there, but the fingertip ones will certainly improve grip strength (to stop your tented fingers collapsing;)). You might want to include some wrist-specific stuff, though, to cover all articulations - wrist curls, wrist extensions, pronations and supinations, the last two being EXTREMELY important for badders.

However, if you don't do a specific forearm routine (and the vast majority do not) it's not a catastrophe - things such as chins and bicep curls will exercise the wrist implicitly.

14. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    Wow this is an interesting topic, bicep good for smash or no?
    I dont' know anyone else want to tip in with the information?
    example? and stuffs?

15. Big L4

Big L4 Regular Member

Student. Making a mental badminton encyclopedia.
    Of course bicep is good, you use your arm to hit with the racket (by arm, I mean all of it, all the way to the fingers). Recreative level players aren't as competitive as the pros, so then only need to focus on the wrist action (along with forearm of course) and less with the rest. However pros when smashing need to generate as much power as possible, so they use all of their tools: legs, waist, back, shoulder, etc. including biceps. Nonetheless, if your not a pro, i suggest you focus on wrist first, the arm will follow since we all have the light tendency to use the arm excessively.

16. epermana

epermana Regular Member

Stronger chest gives you more power
    Stronger upper back gives you more power
    Chest muscles (pectoral) are connected to the biceps
    Upper back muscles are connected to the triceps
    Training chest muscles also trains your triceps
    Training upper back muscles also trains your biceps
    If you train your biceps, you have to balance it by training your triceps, vice versa.
    Supination has to be balanced with pronation

In addition,
    Stronger shoulder also contributes to more power
    Strong core (covers more than just the 6 pack) is needed to stabilise your body during smash.

IMO, badminton is such a complex sport that there is no part of the body that you cannot train. Except for sternocleidomastoid muscle I suppose.

17. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    sorry not really a chat people type that can use all of those short cut term. IMO wat does that mean?

18. jafffa

jafffa Regular Member

very well put, Badminton does put every part of your being to the test when you push yourself, and hence every muscle group needs to be exercised.

19. Superstar

Superstar Regular Member

If you are a good badminton player and talking about stroke, the most important is your wrist work. When you move up to advance, finger power is important.

20. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    sternocleidomastoid? Neck muscle? Well you have to turn your head right?

Beside the point.. you should try Diamond pushup..