Taking medicine

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by fifteen luv, Jun 25, 2008.

1. fifteen luv

fifteen luv Regular Member

Asking to gain some knowledge. I heard that when we are taking medicine (tablets or capsule), we put it under out tongue for it to disssolve slowly will be more effective then swallowing it. Is it true. Thank you all.

2. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Do what the doctor told you to do.
    That's what you need to follow :)

3. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Medicines, vitamins, minerals, etc can only be put under the tongue to be dissolved if they are designed for sublingual administration. If not, then it should not.

4. fifteen luv

Thank you, Can you explian what is mean by sublingual administration. My English is so so. Thank you again.

5. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Sublingual means "under the tongue" and when any substance is to be administered sublingually, you just put it under the tongue. There are sublingual glands under the tongue which are responsibe for getting the medicine into your body sublingually.
    BTW, there are anti-inflammatory papain and bromellein, made from papaya and pineapple, that are very useful if you take them sublingually before a match. They will help to reduce post-match inflammation of muscle tissues.

6. fifteen luv

Thank you very much. I learn something new today.

7. mojopin

mojopin Regular Member

Medical student

the glands just produce saliva. Its the excellent blood supply and thin walled little blood vessels that absorb it. Its mainly used for drugs that would be destroyed my the stomach or liver if they were swallowed normally.

8. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Actually there are 3 ways to take drugs or vitamins through the mouth. Putting the medicine under the tongue is sublingual, between the cheeks and teeth is buccal administration, and on the tongue translingual. All three methods will get more of the medicine into your bloodstream faster and with less degradation than taking them through your GI tract. Vitamin B12 is a common vitamin administered sublingually, especially for older people where swallowing it will have it degraded by the GI tract. I take papain and bromellein by the buccal way, but the bromellein irritates my cheeks and gums, which I minimize by using them on alternate cheeks.