Shame On The Line Judges

Discussion in 'Thomas/Uber Cup 2002' started by ALI, May 16, 2002.

1. ALI

ALI Regular Member

Student
    I am really angry with the line judges of the Thomas Cup Semifinal between Malaysia and China. They're crazy! They've made mistakes more than 6 times! They caused the downfall of Wong Choong Hann. I don't know will it further affect the other Malaysian shuttlers. I won't call it a misjudgement. For me, it is done on purpose!!!

I'm ashamed with what China had done. I myself is a Chinese, and I'm really ashamed that China didn't even do what they always said - moral values, honesty, perseverance etc. They should be ashamed with their lack of sportsmanship. What a unfair competition! For China, I would like to say : you are (In Chinese) "bu zhe shou duan", "bu zhi xiu chi"! (Do anything to achieve what you want, even it's wrong and don't know what is shameful!) You better stop that immediately and conduct a fair game!!!

2. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Well said, oh so well said. I myself am a Malaysian Chinese, but fortunately I consider myself Malaysian first. If not, I will really be ashamed. China deserved to loose, and loose they did in the end. They really deserved what they got. Your mandarin is also very powerful, and I bet those Chinese reading your posting will learn and appreciate your chen yu. Thank you for blasting them so magnificently. Japan should be given the honours to host the next thomas cup.

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    line judging

As i understand it, experienced umpires/officials are fly in with expense paid plus remuneration to do their jobs at various offsite tournaments while line judges are gathered from local volunteers often not experienced. I think certain number of experienced line judges, especially for the semi and finals of big tournaments, be independently chosen too and accompany other officials too. Employing line judges from local hands will introduce bias and could cause a upset if their judgement is inconsistent. What is other view on this?

4. modious

modious Regular Member

Yeah some of the shuttles were clearly in and the line judge say it's out??!!
    I think they replaced him in the second Singles game rite? Thank goodness...

But in any case, I was disappointed that China went out though it was a great semi-finals... Really didn't expect Bao Chunlai to lose after leading 6-1 in the 3rd set and 5-1 in the rubber.... What a waste!

5. faizal

faizal Regular Member

well said guys!!

managed to see the live coverage last night... shame on the line judges:mad: but they were replaced then... he he hee :p serves them right.

Man of the match should go to Hafiz for managing to steal one point in singles.. he was a good fighter with a very strong mental strength.. he was so calm last night ( after throwing his racquets twice on the floor)..

there was one TV shot that shows how Wong CH uses his racquet to support his balance after returning Xia's smash, see how his racque bend! i was thinking like "sheesh ..... that racquet didn't break!"

Cant wait for the final... most likely they are going to use the same line up again.

rgds

6. sjoe

sjoe Regular Member

Engineer
    TC Linejudges

Just commenting to some of the criticism to the linejudges during Malaysia vs China,
    I was sitting at the VIP and I am barracking for Malaysia to win and I am Chinese from oversea so I am not bias to any team.
    The disputed calls during Wong vs Xia only one was obvious mistake and that was not by the linejudge which was replaced, the other two were so close to judge by any TV audience like you or spectator like me even from the VIP seat and I am an experience linejudge for matches like Olympic games so any mistake(if that so) that were made were not bias call at all, put you in that chair you can make the same call as those linejudges, the Hafiz line call was a fair call could be either way depend on who you barracking and can influence you vision.
    So guys reserve you judgement, your criticism are as bias as your those linejudges that you accused. My point is that They did make a mistake but not a cheat.

7. ALI

ALI Regular Member

Student
    Well, let's see:

The broadcasting of the match on TV (as well on the big TV at Tianhe Stadium) is conducted by the Chinese, I suppose. I followed the live broadcast conducted by Gillian Clark and Paul Erik Hoyer Larsen. Let's see: they're video cameras at each of the end of the court. If they did not do anything wrong, why did they have to be so afraid to replay the shuttle dropping on the backline? Instead, they showed Wong Choong Hann's angry face. If they are have nothing to be afraid of, why don't they just show the replay? Even Gillian Clark also said "Surely we can have another look at that!" In the match, she always said "At last, justice prevails!" See, even her, a top player in the past, also felt it was in!!!

I did not say that it must be Li Yongbo who bribed the line judges, but they must be something wrong with it. Maybe, the linejudges did it themselves because they thought that is a sign of patriotisme! What a laugh!!! I really agree with Gillian : It seems that God is also unhappy with the line judges! That's why in the end, China faces their own downfall! Why did I say that? Well, when I saw Hafiz play, I really didn't believe he could win, and also Lee Wan Wah/Choong Tan Fook, I thought they are going to lose. But, hahaha, in the end, God helped the Malaysian players and they win! If China was more fair in the match, I think this might not happen! That's what we call "bao ying" (justice)!

Eventhough Malaysia won, but I don't think it meant revenge for Wong Choong Hann. I feel he is really unlucky. He must be really sad, and I pity him. I read the newspapers, and they wrote "Wong lost to a player who is much quicker than him." Wrong!!! Yes, Xia maybe faster, but is it the only neccesary element to win? I myself was also quite suprised that Wong can still keep quite a high standard eventhough he was distracted. If I were him, I would have killed the line judges, or I would just say "I don't want to play anymore. How to play when it's not fair?" Remember the World Grand Prix Finals last year? He led Peter Gade in the 4th game (he won 2 games already) and on the last point (6-x), he tapped the shuttle and jumped in victory. But, the judge said "fault!" Indra Gunawan did taped the match, he replayed the tape, and sure, Wong Choong Hann did not cross the net. Sigh, such a pity... Really hope bad luck will move away from him. I really hope he can win world titles again this few years.... Such a pity for such a top player without titles... (except Commanwealth Games and Dutch Open)

8. nauknip

nauknip Regular Member

It really would have prevented a lot of accusations had they shown the slow-mo replays of those disputed calls. It was the way they tried to hide their mistakes that made everyone so fed up. Kinda hinted that they were guilty of something, didn't it?

The rest of the Malaysian team were sitting by the court, and whenever their player protested a line call, everyone would stand up and turn around to face the big screen behind them, waiting to see the replay of the shot. But everytime they did that, it ended up in disappointment as after the first MS match, they never did show such replays anymore.

I must say that I really admire the team spirit of the Malaysian camp. For China, the players were way too pressurised by their coaches, their own reputation, and the crowd behind them. Poor guys.