User Tag List

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: U.S. Open 2008

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ^^Jun Jae Youn..^^

..will be upset if she finds out our madbad won't be going down to support his fellow Canadians..*shame, shame, ckckck*

Btw, for PAWing purposes, yeah, it'll be like picking blindly for this U.S. Open (at least for you guys who haven't seen the players play)...but maybe our smashie54 could give some hints??..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I'm just...

Quote Originally Posted by CLELY View Post
    With US$100,000 prize money, it's still categorized in GP level. Hmm, looking forward US Open becomes GP Gold tourney or even Super Series someday...
    Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad View Post
    ..there are 2 types/levels of Grand Prix tourneys in BWF. One is the reg. Grand Prix, which has a minimum prize money of $50,000. And the other being the Grand Prix Gold, which has a minimum prize money of $120,000...and the latter is, hopefully, where the future U.S. Opens are headed....I believe right now, the U.S. Open is still considered a 2* tourney..
    ..daydreaming here, but hmm, i wonder if it would be possible if the U.S. Open gets another major sponsor, say the UCB (United Commercial Bank), which recently sponsored the $20,000 Bay Area Championships??...That way, the U.S. Open can become a GP Gold tourney; OCBC can sponsor half ($60,000) and UCB can sponsor the other half($60,000)??..
    Last edited by ctjcad; 06-29-2008 at 12:44 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just went through the draw and yup, it's devoid of big names. Mind you there are a few recognizable ones (Debeka, Wojkliewicz, Evans, Koch) plus a few up and comers (Martin, Thomsen of DEN). Top MS and WS seeds are Canadians (!) and our dear smashie is seeded #7. Dangerous floater (unseeded) in the WD is Reid/Grether. Halim is playing MD with Rai Raju??

Sad that no Asian countries of note have sent players and there are lots of Americans making up the numbers. Even if only the MS and WS defending champs returned, it would have been worth watching. I guess in the case of JJY, it's full scale prep for the OG.
    Last edited by madbad; 06-29-2008 at 01:02 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Draws can also be found here..

..http://tournamentsoftware.com/sport/....aspx?id=22647

Quote Originally Posted by madbad View Post
    Halim is playing MD with Rai Raju??

Sad that no Asian countries of note have sent players and there are lots of Americans making up the numbers. Even if only the MS and WS defending champs returned, it would have been worth watching. I guess in the case of JJY, it's full scale prep for the OG.
    ..Halim is taking Tony G.'s spot; Tony partnered with Raju last yr.
    Yes, there are Asian players (although not from the main/national squad):
    MAS - Hock Lai Lee
    NEP - Indra Mehata, Pankaj Chand, Ram Singh Chaudhari
    IND - Aravind Gangani, Sabyasachi Ghosh
    PHI - Christopher Flores
    TPE - Li Ying Chang, Shih Chieh Hung, Pei Ling Tsai, Chia Chen Yang
    Last edited by ctjcad; 06-29-2008 at 01:19 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default For those interested....Stay tuned...

...for any late-breaking infos and news, in about 8-9 hrs...(gotta keep the excitement flowing, esp. for this barely-noticeable tourney)......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...for any late-breaking infos and news, in about 8-9 hrs...(gotta keep the excitement flowing, esp. for this barely-noticeable tourney)......
    hey ctjcad, any chance to have web streaming live on sf and finals? thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

..http://tournamentsoftware.com/sport/....aspx?id=22647

..Halim is taking Tony G.'s spot; Tony partnered with Raju last yr.
    Yes, there are Asian players (although not from the main/national squad):
    MAS - Hock Lai Lee
    NEP - Indra Mehata, Pankaj Chand, Ram Singh Chaudhari
    IND - Aravind Gangani, Sabyasachi Ghosh
    PHI - Christopher Flores
    TPE - Li Ying Chang, Shih Chieh Hung, Pei Ling Tsai, Chia Chen Yang
    hey, what dont u play PAW for this US open?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CLELY View Post
    With US$100,000 prize money, it's still categorized in GP level. Hmm, looking forward US Open becomes GP Gold tourney or even Super Series someday...
    I would like to share some thoughts about US Open.

Reasons why not to go there:
    1. Too far from both Europe and Asia, tickets are expensive (especially nowadays).
    2. Very different time zone, a few days are necessary to get adapted, and then need to adapt back.
    3. Headache with getting US visa (this concerns not all the countries, but many).
    4. Unfortunate period of year: qualification to OG or WC already finished, OG or WC are coming soon, and nobody (among top players) needs the ranking points "badly".

Reasons why to go there (I've found only one):
    1. Very good ratio of "Ranking points"/"Tournament level". Most of Challengers in Asia and Europe attract more good players, while offer less ranking points and prize money.

On the other hand, ranking points are not too big to attract top players. But it can be enough to attract top players with low ranking (e.g. after injury). Examples: PG in 2002, JJY last year, and many others.

Another example is the Russian team two years ago. As you may remember, in 2006 we have a battle between two National Federations... it is a long story, I don't like going deep into the details, but one thing is important: most of our top players supported the new Federation (NFBR), but at that time NFBR was not allowed to send players to international tournaments (though some players left with the old Federation were sent to some tourneys). As a result our main national team had missed the Thomas and Uber Cup (European qualification round), and European Championship, as well as all the other tournaments in the first half of 2006. Well, when NFBR was recognized and admitted to IBF, they ought to reward players for their support, and players needed ranking points badly... In these circumstances US Open was just a right place to send them all to. Now the situation is different and the reasons "why not to go" prevail.

OK, what can we (or you) do to change this? Yes, move up to GP Gold is a good idea. I think the ranking points are even more important than the prize money. But did you mention that most of tournaments in Europe and Asia are bundled by 2 or 3 in a row? If you go so far, it worth to take part in two or three tournaments, not only one. I mean, if there is another GP tourney (e.g. Canadian Open) one week before or after... preferably not too far, in the same time zone (Vancouver?)... it would be much more attractive to go there. What do you think?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dmitry View Post

1. Too far from both Europe and Asia, tickets are expensive (especially nowadays).
    2. Very different time zone, a few days are necessary to get adapted, and then need to adapt back.
    3. Headache with getting US visa (this concerns not all the countries, but many).
    4. Unfortunate period of year: qualification to OG or WC already finished, OG or WC are coming soon, and nobody (among top players) needs the ranking points "badly".

1. Very good ratio of "Ranking points"/"Tournament level". Most of Challengers in Asia and Europe attract more good players, while offer less ranking points and prize money.

On the other hand, ranking points are not too big to attract top players. But it can be enough to attract top players with low ranking (e.g. after injury). Examples: PG in 2002, JJY last year, and many others.

Another example is the Russian team two years ago. As you may remember, in 2006 we have a battle between two National Federations... it is a long story, I don't like going deep into the details, but one thing is important: most of our top players supported the new Federation (NFBR), but at that time NFBR was not allowed to send players to international tournaments (though some players left with the old Federation were sent to some tourneys). As a result our main national team had missed the Thomas and Uber Cup (European qualification round), and European Championship, as well as all the other tournaments in the first half of 2006. Well, when NFBR was recognized and admitted to IBF, they ought to reward players for their support, and players needed ranking points badly... In these circumstances US Open was just a right place to send them all to. Now the situation is different and the reasons "why not to go" prevail.

OK, what can we (or you) do to change this? Yes, move up to GP Gold is a good idea. I think the ranking points are even more important than the prize money. But did you mention that most of tournaments in Europe and Asia are bundled by 2 or 3 in a row? If you go so far, it worth to take part in two or three tournaments, not only one. I mean, if there is another GP tourney (e.g. Canadian Open) one week before or after... preferably not too far, in the same time zone (Vancouver?)... it would be much more attractive to go there. What do you think?
    wow...dmitry is writing proposal...hmm...the organiser should read this...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Good insights..

Quote Originally Posted by Dmitry View Post

..Dmitry, your points of "why to attend/not to attend the U.S. Open" are somewhat valid. However, in addition to that, and yes, as you (and others) have also inferred to is the fact that it only offers smaller prize money. I'm pretty optimistic that if it was upgraded to a GP Gold status, it could attract more players (in respect to the above 4 reasons).
    Btw, that's an interesting background story about the Russian's team attendance in the U.S. Open, 2 yrs. ago. Yes, i do remember them (wish if they all could come back, again)..Thanks for sharing a bit of infos.
    Last edited by ctjcad; 07-08-2008 at 08:59 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Good morning (good evening) all..

...here are some pics...

okay, those'll be the only pics of this tournament...i think my camera is about to shimmy...

...first matches of the day (Qualifications) are about to start....chat to you guys later-
    Last edited by ctjcad; 07-08-2008 at 11:11 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty optimistic that if it was upgraded to a GP Gold status, it could attract more players (in respect to the above 4 reasons).
    OK, how about Canadian Open GP bundled with US Open GP Gold? I believe it could help a lot...

Btw, that's an interesting background story about the Russian's team attendance in the U.S. Open, 2 yrs. ago. Yes, i do remember them (wish if they all could come back, again)..Thanks for sharing a bit of infos.
    You are welcome. Btw it was not official info of course, and I have no relations with officials... It was my personal opinion, but I believe it is true or very close to the true.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheng Che Chang gets DQed and Chris Flores gets a bye to 2nd rd

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aZn_Popcorn View Post
    Cheng Che Chang gets DQed and Chris Flores gets a bye to 2nd rd
    Cheng is BC's very own, "Lefty", why did he get DQed?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no idea, it just says 0-0 Disqualified on tourneysoftware

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

matthew wins by the same way, so it most likely means that the opponent didn't show up.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aZn_Popcorn View Post
    matthew wins by the same way, so it most likely means that the opponent didn't show up.
    Ditto for Howard Shu

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast