Results 86 to 102 of 270
Thread: U.S. Open 2008
07-10-2008, 02:46 AM #86
Quick hits from Day 2...
...so, was Day 2 any more exciting than Day 1??..I'd say, yes, a bit, because the type of competition is starting to tighten up...
Here are my quick hits from today's event:
- Boy, after watching Lee Hock Lai play (both MS and XD), i must say i have to give him another nickname. Besides the Lee "Don't call me Lee Chong Wei" Hok Lai, i should give a new nickname. And that is, Lee "A One Man Show Stopper" Hock Lai....
He simply was like a scooter out there. Esp. in his XD match. In the entire match, he was simply a 1 man show, chasing and controlling all the shuttles sent on his side of the court. And i'm quite sure all the people watching him were simply in awe. From drops, to cross-court shots, to smashes and clears, he was on them like he had to save a grenade from falling on the floor. Quick and always aware are words that, IMO, can best describe his play. He was out there covering Priscilla basically 90% of the time (okay, okay, let's give Priscilla 25% credit). Anyway, they've got their work cut out for them, as they have a tough date tomorrow when they'll face Howard & Eva in their QF round.
- A couple of head-turner tonight. First, the pairing of Mona and Johanna losing to the Chinese TPE's WD pair, in straight sets. Simply, M & J's game was out of sorts. Many errors and right from the get-go they were on the defense. They even lured Candra into the coaching box to help them figure out what's wrong (along with Grace Peng), after the 1st set, but to no avail. They ended up losing in 2 straight sets and to end it, Johanna made an unforced net shot which went out.
But that's not the only loss for Mona. Earlier, she and partner Chandra lost to CAN's Beres & Loker in a thrilling rubber set (yeah, i can hear cooler, madbad and all the Canadian based BCers wooting it up..). Again, same type of situation. 1st set, very defensive and made errors. M & C were able to correct their strategy and it worked as they forced Ms. Loker to make plays. It went to rubber set, where the CAN pair just out-slugged the ex-INA national players.
- Kevin Cordon is a hammer-thrower, at least that's what i saw and what the people were whispering while watching him play. He was simply smashing the shuttlecock like it was a plastic shuttle. I think tomorrow's match fitting him vs. Lee Hock Lai could be a good one.
- The tall and lanky Bille Larsen might not be a basketball player, but he was lengthy enough to subdue the much shorter Casey in straight sets. It seemed like Casey was trying to get to the basket or around Bille Larsen for an easy slam dunk, but Bille Larsen was there to greet him with his size. Bille' Larsen's footwork might make "Dancing with the Stars" producer cringe, but he has enough touch, length and good strokes.
- A few more withdrawals which forced a few more.....relieved players..
- And the last match of the day featuring, i would call it, 1 uncle and 3 nephews; I would call it the "An Uncle and 3 nephews" duel. To see Rudy Gunawan play and give it his all out there, in his current age, would definitely inspire a lot of older people. He was basically running out there with 3 much younger players, the same age probably as his nephews. But skill-wise, he was simply dominating. He might've even called some shots and plays for the other pair, as well. It was a close shave, but definitely Rudy benefited from his opponents' W/O y'day.
Anyway, that's all for now...be back later for some more pics from Day 2 (got to get them ready, right??)...
* I saw the Canadian squad took pictures at the conclusion of the day. All guys and 1 gal, Joycelyn Ko, crunched alone in the middle.
Last edited by ctjcad; 07-10-2008 at 03:01 AM.
07-10-2008, 02:59 AM #87
07-10-2008, 03:05 AM #88
Too bad our #1 WS anna rice drop out to play XD with wil milroy. She can reach the WS final no problem. Look like joycelyn ko filled her shoes but Joycelyn is only #29 in canada, so going out in first round is expected.
Wil milroy regular XD partner, tammy sun, is not playing likely because of school and studying. (ie. she's done with competitive badminton).
07-10-2008, 03:05 AM #89
07-10-2008, 03:08 AM #90
i was amazed that he still could play the way he did with his eye-patch!
07-10-2008, 03:12 AM #91
07-10-2008, 03:13 AM #92
dont' u have no depth perception with only 1 eye?
07-10-2008, 03:13 AM #93
Tomorrow's match between David SNIDER and Stefan WOJCIKIEWICZ (quick copy and paste) will be an interesting encounter. In this year's Canadian Open, Stefan was seeded #2 but the unseeded David upset him 21-12 15-21 21-13 to take the title. I'm sure Stefan, seeded #6 in the US Open, will have learned from this setback. Expect fireworks.
07-10-2008, 03:13 AM #94
Also, Jamie Subandhi (school also). Also, Lauren's brother.
07-10-2008, 03:13 AM #95
07-10-2008, 03:15 AM #96
07-10-2008, 03:15 AM #97
07-10-2008, 03:16 AM #98
07-10-2008, 03:17 AM #99
Beres will be retiring soon, I forgot what date or year he said, but less then a year I believe.
Just curious as you have the ranks in Canada, what is Michelle Li ranked at?
07-10-2008, 03:21 AM #100
** oops, doubled posted **
Last edited by cooler; 07-10-2008 at 03:25 AM.
07-10-2008, 03:23 AM #101
07-10-2008, 03:24 AM #102
Perhaps the next time i see her, i'll just point my lens and say "Say Cheese to Badminton Central!"...
Yeah, she still looked a bit jet-lagged and not in sync. Was slow in her game and never really was in her game vs. Johanna. Perhaps still tired also from all those training. Caught her yawning a couple of times during the U.S. Open, too (oops, hope she's really not reading this thread)..
Okay, i'm out this time!..
By chris-ccc in forum China Open (1) / Macau Open / New Zealand Open 2008Replies: 27: 11-14-2008, 05:14 AM
By limsy in forum China Open (1) / Macau Open / New Zealand Open 2008Replies: 14: 11-11-2008, 11:21 AM
By nunu27 in forum Dutch Open / Denmark Open / French Open 2008Replies: 915: 11-06-2008, 12:30 PM
By nunu27 in forum Dutch Open / Denmark Open / French Open 2008Replies: 345: 10-29-2008, 01:33 AM
By abesadi in forum Dutch Open / Denmark Open / French Open 2008Replies: 339: 10-26-2008, 02:44 AM