Hello From Greater Sac Area

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by birdie68, Jun 30, 2008.

1. birdie68

birdie68 Regular Member

Hello all....

Found this site few weeks ago, after manage to look around I guess the proper way is to say hi to everyone before jumping into one of the forum conversation.

I started playing badminton again after stopping for almost 25 years.
    I forgot how fun it was. I didn't even know that we have badminton here in Sacramento area until a friend told me so.

Anyway, I'm glad that I found this site to share some news about badminton especially in here in the USA where badminton is not so popular (mainstream sport) yet. :(

2. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    hi birdie,
    welcome to BC...........:)

is our pleasant to have you here.
    my goshhhhh..... 25 years ago. great to hear you have re-pick up badminton.
    nowadays, badminton in USA, gained much popularity.........;)

3. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Welcome..

..to BCBF, birdie68!:)..Good to hear you've made it back..Yeah, i can understand where you're coming from, considering i also grew up in the states for quite some time. But i must say, 25 yrs is longer than the length of time i totally stopped playing baddy. It took me a good 1-2 yrs to get those feelings, strokes, footwork, all working in cohesion, back again. Maybe you can get them back quicker. But i don't think it's too late to start playing & enjoying the sport, again (personally, there'll be a slight feeling of regret of not continuing to play the sport).:p
    Yeah, the Bay area is THE happening place right now, in California, if not in the U.S. Hope you'll be able to visit and play in one of those clubs, pretty soon! You should check out the Places to Play sub-forum->USA West sub-forum..:cool:
    Anyway, take your time and enjoy your time surfing this forum!;):cool:

4. birdie68

birdie68 Regular Member

Thanks for the warming welcome.
    I started again about 2 months or so ago, been playing 1-2 times a week whenever possible. Where I live the closest one is Sac State. There's no club like in bay area. It's free but the downside of it is that the wall are white and the lighting could blind you and make you lost sight of the birdie. But what am I complaining about it's FREE after all. :D

Tomorrow I'm going to the bay area for some business, I'm planning to drop-in at BayBadminton in Burlingame later afternoon. Never been there before but according to their website it's considerably new.
    I dunno what the local customary there but will find out, I guess.

5. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Your infos and news about bdm development in US are very welcome here, birdie68...Yeah, need more times to get badminton becomes major sport there despite USA Women's Team had won UBER Cup thrice in period 1957-1963.

6. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Oh, wow..

...hopefully you don't have to wear a cool shade to play in that hall!!..:eek: :p...But, wow, all white walls and a bright lighting..:p [​IMG]
    Well, hopefully, you'll get to play in a nicer environment, in one of the full-time clubs..:cool:

7. birdie68

birdie68 Regular Member

I was in the bay area yesterday for some business. Finish early and went to bay badminton in burlingame. I've never been into a badminton club before.

The place is awesome. Victor Lo is nice enough to show me around & play a set with me. What a difference with the wall color & lighting position make on your game. And the floor is great too. It give a very good cushion, make it soooo... much easier on my old knee. Usually the day after I play for few hours I will feel all my knee join about to fall off :crying:. Not so today. Too bad we don't have club like that around here:mad:. I guess the demand is not that great enough for someone to open one. Not viable from the business point of view.

8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Good to hear..^^

..it's good to hear you had a wonderful time playing:)..Maybe the next time you can play with our kwun (BC's owner who lives around the area, just south of BBC)..:cool:

As for a full-time badminton facility in Sacramento, hmm, i had somewhat mentioned it in another thread; i believe in the Bintang Badminton Club sub-forum (in the Places to Play-USAWest). The owner of Bintang Club, i believe, opened one up in Dublin? (east of the Bay area). I had mentioned, perhaps he should open one up, up north in the Sacramento area, where there is basically no full-time baddy club, yet.
    Yeah, the interest might not be enough in the Sacramento area, but who knows, just opening up a small one first (say 6 courts, max.) and see how it goes...Did you mention the idea to BBC's owner about that idea??..:confused:

9. birdie68

birdie68 Regular Member

:eek: I'm just starting to play again, not good enough to play with all the masters of this forums. Maybe in a few more months if it's not years :p

10. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Don't worry..^^

...kwun will play **with you**, not against you..;)..As a matter of fact, i think he'll be willing to run around and cover you from the back... :p :);)

11. birdie68

birdie68 Regular Member

I guess the next time I'll go to bay area I'll post somewhere in this forum and see if there's anyone willing to join.