What happens when Tension is too low for you?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by February, Jul 3, 2008.

1. February

February Regular Member

I think I'm a 24 player but I picked a 22 tension that will eventually wear down to 21 after a bit of playing. How will it affect my playing if the tension is lower than what my level is?

I realized that I was playing with a 27 tension with my old racket and no wonder I couldn't clear and drop correctly...but in this situation, I'm stuck with a lower tension...any advice?

2. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

1) when you say you are a 24 player I assume you mean string tension @24 lb suit you the best? I assume you mean your string tension is @21lb right now? From my experience, most of the player will not notice the gradual lowing of the tension for 1~2 lb. When it gets to 3 lb, they usually notice and get them restrung because the control is off.
    2) If you string lower than your usual tension with same string, you might experience the followings:
    a) clear goes long (you lost your point)
    b) net drop bounce higher (you get smashed)
    c) lost of the touchy feeling
    d) smash feel more power but goes into the net

JUST RESTRING THE RACQUET!

3. CHOcobo

CHOcobo Regular Member

pay off school
    when tension gets lower, you get a faster smash but you lose a lil bit of control at the net plays. i play 22 on my arcsaber 10 and love it. 21 isn't so bad. it's only one away no biggie.

4. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    A pound on tension is hard to notice so don't worry. If you don't like it then cut the string and get your racket restrung again.

5. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Slower smash, strokes in general go longer (clears go out, netshots go high, drops go far), less feel, feels really soggy.

6. mojopin

mojopin Regular Member

Medical student
    feels soft and crap. if it feels ok, then its ok.

7. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

My friends tell me to keep playing with these low-tensions until I break them, but I just cut those strings and get the racquets strung at a higher tension.
    I'd rather play better, than to save a little bit of money for playing with the strings until it breaks.

8. Khawai

Khawai Regular Member

I think you should just restring the racquet. It would a take long time to break the strings as the tension is low. 3 lbs of tension feels, for me anyways, a lot of difference.

9. Phuong

Phuong Regular Member

gay smash, weak control, u wont feel the impact when u hit teh shuttle.

10. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I have to agree with Steven - restring the racket ASAP. The fact that you have even noticed the difference in play means that you'll have to adjust to it, and when you restring at 24 further down the line you'll have to adjust AGAIN.

I've cut strings within 2 hours of play because they didn't feel right, so don't hesitate in getting your tension right - too low is just as bad as too high if you're anything other than a total novice (which, given your comment of "being a 24 player", you clearly aren't).

11. Laowai

Laowai Regular Member

Sorry to revive an old tread, surely its better than starting a new one though.

Recently on holidays I bought a new racquet and got it strung with BG-80. I ask for 24 X 26 since it was a manual machine but I got 23 X 24 as she thought 24 X 26 was too high. The tension though is noticeably much less than racquets I have strung myself with an electronic tensioner (22 X 24 with 10% prestretch). Even a racquet strung at 20 X 22 is much tighter. When I played with the racquet, my shots were all over the place, drops were too slow and too deep, blocks to the net all hit the net. No crack on my smashes or clears. Admittedly, it's a new racquet and I hadn't played in a while (and my skill is poor!) but I still think I will cut the strings and give it another go. Good to know what lower tension feels like anyway.