What caused this?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by dnacid, Jul 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dnacid

dnacid Regular Member

Student
    My friend and I, both having a pair of shoes for badminton, is very puzzled by a worn out patch on the left shoe. It is at the exact same position and we have seen it on other people's shoes as well.

I have thought about the bending of the foot when lunging, the way we usually stand when serving, but they do not seem to explain this worn out patch. Does anyone have any idea what caused this.

Picture included to show what I am talking about, it is indicated by brown circles in the picture.

Attached Files:

• shoe.jpg
      shoe.jpg
      File size:
      21.3 KB
      Views:
  2. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    its caused when you drag your non racquet foot (im assuming thats the foot this shoe was from) while lunging for a shot. it causes wear and friction on the shoe which in turn starts to create a hole in the shoe and yes it can actually wear all the way through the shoe.

3. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

This means you are lunging properly! And using your left foot as a brake thus saving your right leg from too much fatigue.

4. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

i have that exact same patch on my old pair of Yonex shoes. and a similar hole as well. (and same sides)

5. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

yeah, all right-handed, and hence right-footed players should have that sort of damage to the left shoe, unless they are lunging with their left foot, which isn't ideal.

6. dnacid

dnacid Regular Member

Student
    Hm, but when I tried lunging, the bottom front side of my left foot still touches the ground, not the side of the shoe. The worn out patch is about one inch away from the bottom of the sole, so unless my entire foot is twisted on the side, it doesn't seem to be caused from that.

(And yes, the left side is my non-racket side)

7. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

I have the same patch on every shoe that I've played badminton with. It's not the shoe's problem, it's just that we're lunging properly and playing badminton alot. :)

8. rajmussen

rajmussen Regular Member

Student
    I have the exact same problem on my right shoe (I'm left handed), so glad to know people experience the same thing. It's strange because we don't ever feel that we drag our feet when we're lunging, but the proof is the wear and tear on the shoe. I'm glad I'm lunging the 'right' way though!

9. gustaff

gustaff Regular Member

Work
    When lunging normally, I just drag the edge of the shoe at the ground (the edge of the rubber sole) but when I have a deep net shot and I have to bend my knee alot I think the side leather of the shoe wil ldrag against the ground.

Can it be that?

10. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.