It's Lee Wan Wah/Choong Tan Fook's fault!

Discussion in 'Thomas/Uber Cup 2002' started by ALI, May 19, 2002.

1. ALI

ALI Regular Member

Student
    I'm really angry after watching how Lee Wan Wah/Choong Tan Fook play. They're not serious at all in their play! They should be blamed completely for Malaysian Team's lose.

They never realise it: even if they dun wanna win, they should play properly for their frens. See how Lee Tsuen Seng play... he played exceptionally well to help Malaysia get a point, but in the end, LTS's hardwork had just gone away... For me, I dun blame people if they're poor n lost to a better player... but look at Lee Wan Wah/Choong Tan Fook: Former World No. 1 pair, former malaysian no. 1 pair, olympic semi-finalists, world championship bronze medallist... i dun see any good partnership between them... worst still. they can still smile during the prize giving ceremony, while others are feeling so sad...

I won't blame Roslin and Chan/Chew for the lost... It's Lee Wan Wah/Choong Tan Fook's fault!!! It's just like last year's Sudirman Cup between Malaysia and Japan. Even Malaysia's women doubles played so hard to level the score at 2-2. But, guess what!!! Lee Wan Wah/Choong Tan Fook played terribly and lost to the Japan pair!!!

Do they think because Malaysia still needs them, they can be like this? I hate them!!! I always treat that today is my last day, so, because of their poor play, i might, in my live, not get a chance to watch Malaysia win the Thomas Cup!!! It's all their fault!!!

2. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Dear ALI,

I know how you feel, and I fully agree with what you have just said about Choong/Lee. However, I don't think you should loose hope for the future. Malaysia has very young singles players, and don't forget that Wong Choong Hann will still be around in 2 years time, although I doubt if he will be playing 1st anymore. This time around, we have unearthed 2 stars that can depended on in the future, and CH Wong is easily the best singles of the tournament this time around. If not for the bad calls against Xuanze, I don't think he would have lost a single match. Marleve was totally outclassed by Wong today.
    However, the same cannot be said for our doubles. Candra and Sigit totally burnt C & C in every department. Choong/Lee did not rise to their usual standard. All these does not bode well for our future doubles. I have heard that Hong Chien Hun and Chang Kim Wai are a good pair, perhaps we should give them more chances instead of older and unreliable players.
    I am disappointed today, but no one gave us a ghost of a chance to get past China, but we did it. That itself is an achievement we can cherish. In two years time, hopefully we can put forward a similar lineup, but with better doubles combination that can complement the singles.
    Anyway, congratulations to the Indonesians, they were the most all rounded team in the entire tournament, and they do deserve to win. Just that if Malaysia had taken the Thomas cup, it would have been a good ending to a fairy tale.

3. myc

myc New Member

import/export
    our doubles players are simply perform a few level below the standard of Indonesian players. Roslin is not strong mentally too.

4. nauknip

nauknip Regular Member

ALI,

So why didn't you suggest their retirement when they beat the Chinese and saw Malaysia through to the finals?

If not for their long years of partnership and experience, they probably would not have been able to make a comeback against the Chinese, and Malaysia might not even be the team playing Indonesia in the finals.

5. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Dear everyone,

Lets not crucify ALI here, he was just upset when he made those comments. I can understand his disappointment as Malaysia also had another close call in 1998, losing 3-2 to Indo as well. Seems like Indo's performance will increase when Thomas Cup is concerned, probably their Holy Grail or something.
    I personally feel that Choong Tan Fook is a very dedicated player, same goes for Chan/Chew. However, Lee Wan Wah come across to me as under performing most of the time when he is most required. He claims to be injured and under pressure when he looses, this is acceptable once or twice, but not so many times. Don't forget that he has been around for a long time already, and he should be able to handle all the elements during a competition like Thomas Cup. If he cannot change this mindset, if any of the players cannot change this mindset for that matter, then that player should make way for others who are more hungry and eager.
    Finally, lets not despair too much this time around, things will get better from here. Our singles have proven themselves to be a determined lot, and this is good. Chan/Chew are still relatively young, and more doubles and singles are also emerging in the backgorund as we speak.
    Maybe we should leave this bittersweet episode behind and move on.

6. ALI

ALI Regular Member

Student
    Actually, I have my reasons for being angry...

First, during their play, instead of trying to urge each other on, giving each other support, they looked angry at each other... What type of partnership is that? Second, I dunno how many times Park Joo Bong had told them to have the initiative to attack more... See in the match, they seemed to want to show the Indons "Come on... go on smash me... see my defence... wah so great one..." Even if their defence is really that good, they musn't do that. And I watched them play, they are just not doing their best! I myself is a player. Although I definitely don't have even 1% of their skills, but I think they should learn from me... I think they should be serious, co-operative, disciplined and OBEY THE COACH! I play doubles and singles, but in doubles, i realised how important it is to gain the attack, and in the end, i was always looking at the net, forcing the opponent to lift. But I don't see them trying to attack!

u noe why i'm so angry about them? i relate their lose to my experience... In the past at the training centre, i have a doubles partner who is just like Lee Wan Wah... his skill is great, but he just play-play during matches... I dunno how to describe it... Finally, I get a new partner. That partner, eventhough is not as strong as him, but he is serious n disciplined... he listened to what the coach said...that's why in the end, our results are better than the old partnership.

I think it is a much for Malaysia to develop a new doubles pair. But I am suprised to read once (i dunno was it a typo of not) that Chang Kim Wai or Hong Chien Chun (i'm not sure who again) is already 25 years old. I think that's too old and not really worth the developing... Any new pairs in Malaysia?

In 2 years time, me myself feel that it is China that would be the real threat, not Indonesia, if nobody new spring out of Indonesia... Hendrawan, Marleve would be quite old (probably too old), Candra/Sigit will be over their peak already, Trikus would be too old too, while Taufik might be playing for Singapore. Really hope Malaysia will win next time... Just hope I can live to watch it...

My apologizes to whom ever i hurt.... it's just that i'm too angry about Lee Wan Wah/Choong Tan Fook... I think they're not serious... that's just it... not prejudice...

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    ALI,

do you think the Lee/Choong combination could play at their best with full of confidence after a prolonged break from injuries? Especially in a crucial match for their country?

Although, yes, it was probably M'sia's best chance of getting the TC, injuries and breaks from play aren't the best preparation, especially as Trikus was playing so fast.

i think they were probably frustrated at each other for knowing that they have played better and seen each other play better in the past but that was before their injuries.

8. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

Recent news are Park Joo-bong would seek Choong Tan Fook a new partner for the Malaysian Open. If they could produce great results, I can see Lee Wan Wah is definitely on his way out.

Tan Fook seems to be the more dedicated and skillful player of the duo and has a few years more of good badminton in him. Should try him out either with Chang Kim Wai or Hong Chien Hun as they are out the same age rather than a younger player like Jeremy Gan.

Wish him luck!:)

9. sporty

sporty Regular Member

Student
    FIGHTING SPIRIT..

I believe that actually Malaysian double has the same standard as the Indonesians, but maybe it's like what Park said, we even lost before we played. I just feel that they should play more freely and try their best. See Tesana/Pramote from Thailand, We cant deny that they have good foghting spirit.

I guess it is the key for success in anything, including badminton!!!Agree??;)