Do you drink while training?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Vodude, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Vodude

Vodude Regular Member

General Sales
    Guys,

If you play or train for 2 or 3 hours non stop.. do you keep drinking while thirsty or you only drink when you cool down?

How much water you drink?

I wonder, I sometimes play 3 hours could drink 1,5 litre.. some say good some say bad..

Any idea.

2. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    by the time you feel thirsty your already started to become dehydrated and thats a bad sign. Its always good to have some water every little bit to make sure that you have some in your system and dont run the risk of becomming more dehydrated.

when training i always make sure to get a sip of water after most drills that we do else whenever we have a few minutes of break deffinetly get a drink there as well. its really important to keep hydrated when training espically so you can preform at a high level and stay focused while doing it.

#2 smash_master, Jul 7, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  3. CHOcobo

CHOcobo Regular Member

pay off school
    i drink only water enough so i couldn't get a cramp. i hate them, but rarely happens when every i play. maybe about 5oz after each match but i drink like 1/4gal when i'm done for the day. i sweat like crazy what ever i do.

4. ssertere

ssertere Regular Member

I usually play 2 hours and while playing i usually drinking more than 2,5L :). Actually, i drink a lot, i usually drink about 3L daily, don't count if i do some exercise or play badminton. :)

5. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    While training, yes... I sip a few in between. I would avoid water and go with energy drinks that replaces electrolytes and other minerals. In between games, I would drink from the water fountain/cooler cuz I won't have any mineral drinks in my bag.

6. martin8768

martin8768 New Member

sudent
    when your doing a physical activity, thirst is not a good indication of hydration, if your thirsty while you play, your already dehydrated. here is a chart for you:

BEFORE: 2 hours before drink 500ml
    10-15 mins before drink 125-150ml
    DURING: every 15 mins drink 125-150ml
    AFTER: drink plenty of fluids after

sorry for the metric measurements, thats just how i remember them, 500ml is a water bottle.

now if your playing for more then a hour, you need water + carbohydrates + electrolytes (should contain 4% to 8% carbohydrates, like powerade, gatorade)

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Why do people say bad?

8. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    If you lack the water consumption while playing sport it will affect how you play. I am not going into the biology of a low level of water consumption but if you don't drink water enough pain will develop around your body.

9. andrew chan

andrew chan Regular Member

the only downside i see is if you drink too much water, you will feel bloated/heavy/sluggish, but other than that, regular water consumption is necessary to maintain a good level of play

10. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    If you drink too much then you can die. I am talking about 10+litres a day. If you drink too little gallstones will develop. 2L per day is good for normal and 3-5L per day depending how much sport you play on the day.

11. asder

asder Regular Member

Student
    After every game, i take a sip of water from the water fountain. Not sure how much water i drink, but i generally don't feel thirsty during games, plus the time taken to drink water allows some relaxation time.

12. Dead Fish

Dead Fish Regular Member

Teacher
    There are a few important things to remember:
    1. The purpose of training is to condition your body and develop muscle memory so it's necessary to be in top form so you're muscle memory is good and you're training the muscles at a steady pace not too fast not to slow. So it would be a good idea to drink mineral water (not distilled since the minerals are important in maintaining energy) while playing.
    2. If you feel thirsty you're already dehydrated so drink water regularly.
    3. Here's what Peter Gade said when asked what he had during matches: "During matches water is not enough - I drink a sportsdrink called Maxim. A mix of carbohydrates and minerals mixed with water. And remember - you can`t drink too much. If I'm playing in Asia under very hot and humid conditions I drink up to 6 l per day."

13. Vodude

Vodude Regular Member

General Sales
    Well.. I my self drink about 1,5ltr per 2-3hours play, but my trainer said dont drink too much water, my trainer him self only drink about 500ml.

A gym trainer once said that drinking water (especially the cold one) could increase the heart, liver, lung, etc etc volume (I dont know what he mean, I am not sure what he mean and I dont give a d*mn of what he said).. coz I know him a "talk too much kind of person"

Oh yeah I remember someone told me (not sure if it right) that a person who drink an ice water while do sport might have a big chance to get heart attack and die.

Also I remember that at school, my biological teachers said "if you do sport, your heart beat rate is increasing rapidly.. so when you drink a water it will decrease a little the heart beat rate and at the end you will drop your performance a little" - I think this is happen to me.. during game I always avoid drinking (just after the game) because everytime I drink I become errr.. lazy to go get the birdy or something similar..

Or maybe this all just my imagination huh..

14. CHOcobo

CHOcobo Regular Member

pay off school
    the first one makes sense. you want it cold but not too cold. and yes i do experience that as well, drinking while mid-game creates that lazy feeling inside you for a bit. thats why i always drink fairly amount of water after the match.

15. giant

giant Regular Member

student
    but i cant stop drink water once i stop in the middle of the training..500ml definitely not enough for me..can drink after stop training right?1L wont have any bad things happen right?

16. pHysiX

pHysiX Regular Member

Law & Engineering, Legal Assistant
    i believe it is about moderation. you only take in like say 2-3 mouthfuls(or just enough so that you don't feel a "weight"/water moving around in your stomach) of water every 15-20mins to just replace the lost fluids. i do this every time i play or train now because i used to be a heavy water drinker. and of course, after every time i drank my regular dose, i became lazy and lost majority of my response time.

the reason for this is that the stomach and other organs have to start working to use up the water, which requires a portion of good oxygen and especially your heart. this would mean you lose performance because you do not have enough oxygen for your limbs, resulting in lactic acids and other stuff and a slightly lower heart rate.

the other day though, i had a sweet drink and i gulped the 650mL bottle in one go. i seriously would not recommend drinking a fair/above average amount of water because you will throw up and get massive headaches within the next hour >.< (personal experience).

17. giant

giant Regular Member

student
    ya i feel that too even i dont drink tat much..thanks for your advise..

18. Vodude

Vodude Regular Member

General Sales
    Yay.. I think 2 or 3 mounth full should be enough ehh..
    Now I shouldnt drink too much soo everytime I see my oponent drink too much, it should be a benefit for me :D

19. gendruw

gendruw Regular Member

i usually drink 2-3 isotonic (330ml) and 1 mineral water (600ml) in between 2-3 hours play, and almost 1L after done playing.

20. giant

giant Regular Member

student
    i always feel heavy n cannot continue after break n drink alot of water..u can laugh loudly..